i'm 17, and I've been working for 2 and a half years at a shop. We're stocking up because we've had refit, and it's store re-opening at the end of the week. My managers want me to work 54 hours this week, which I have NO problem with, as I need the cash. The only thing is, I was always told under 18s can only work 40 hours max. If they have my permission to give me that many hours, can I work them legally?
Guitars :
Fender American Stratocaster
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
The legal thing is just to protect their liability, I don't think you can get in trouble for doing that if it's your choice. If you're over 16 you can normally work 40, but you can choose to work over 48.

Edit: actually, I looked it up and it seems that if you're under 18 you mustn't work over 40...but I'm sure no one would care.
Last edited by rigiddigits at Jun 2, 2008,
From the direct.gov.uk site:

Opting out of the 48 hour week

If you are 18 or over and wish to work more than 48 hours a week, you can choose to opt out of the 48 hour limit. This must be voluntary and in writing. It can't be an agreement with the whole workforce and you shouldn't be sacked or subjected to a detriment (for example, refused promotion or overtime) for refusing to sign an opt-out.

If you sign an opt-out, you have the right to cancel this agreement at any time by giving between one week and three months' notice. You can agree this notice period with your employer when you sign the opt-out. You can cancel an opt-out even if it's part of a contract you've signed.

Example of opt-out agreement

I (name) agree that I may work for more than an average of 48 hours a week. If I change my mind, I will give my employer (amount of time - up to three months) notice in writing to end this agreement.

Signed……..............

Dated………...............

If you work in certain sectors, you can't opt out of the 48-hour limit to your working week.

Hope that helps
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

If you want to work that long, then it shouldn't be a problem. And no-one's gonna report it. And you can choose not to press charges if they do and then the whole thing will go away. So just go for it.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
54 hours a week? ill assume thats a 5 day week: 10.8 hours a day, thats like an 8-7 shift, thats rather long, but if you want to do it its up to you
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
54 hours a week? ill assume thats a 5 day week: 10.8 hours a day, thats like an 8-7 shift, thats rather long, but if you want to do it its up to you

Hello and welcome to the real world.
Quote by Craigo
Hello and welcome to the real world.

hello, and thank you for welcoming me into this "real world"!!!

but anyway, i dont think i would want to work that long.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Fucking hell, UK employers really are slave drivers.

Are you getting overtime for this?

If not I'd tell them to cram it up their arses. Seriously. What's your hourly wage?
Quote by thedudemeister
hello, and thank you for welcoming me into this "real world"!!!

but anyway, i dont think i would want to work that long.

Deal with it. 7-8 hours 6 days a week is nothing, one more won't hurt either.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Fucking hell, UK employers really are slave drivers.

Are you getting overtime for this?

If not I'd tell them to cram it up their arses. Seriously. What's your hourly wage?

I'd assume the reason he wants to do it is because he'll get paid more. Unless he's got an awesome job or something. Which is unlikely under 18.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I'd assume the reason he wants to do it is because he'll get paid more. Unless he's got an awesome job or something. Which is unlikely under 18.

Or for an incredible amount of money to fund an incredible summer.
Quote by Craigo
Or for an incredible amount of money to fund an incredible summer.

+2
PSN: Noverion
I wish i had a job i could work 54 hours a week for

54 x £3.00 = £162 a week

thats a new full rig by the end of the summer

i need a good job
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by CrowLord

54 x £3.00 = £162 a week

i need a good job

Same, I'm about £150 in debt to my parents. Although I have some money atm, so it's not as though I can't pay off any of it.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by CrowLord

54 x £3.00 = £162 a week

i need a good job
You couldn't get me to work 54 hours for £162.

I could beg that much.
TS, how much do you get paid by the hour?
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
if you really want to work the hours then just don't be "on the clock" for the extra hours and get paid under the table

tell your boss that you want the hours but don't want anyone getting in trouble with the law and he will surely comply
Quote by CrowLord

54 x £3.00 = £162 a week

i need a good job

£3/hour??

Where the hell do you work?

TS: If you're worried about legal obligations or whatever, ask to be paid for the extra hours cash-in-hand.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at Jun 2, 2008,
I don't know about under 18's; but I do know that no employer can make you work over 48 hours a week. You can of course work over that, but if you so choose not to, no employer can do anything about it. Like I said though, no idea about under 18's.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
It also depends on what industry you work in. For example, i work as an apprentice bricklayer with a minimum 39hr week, but if i want to do overtime i can,
The working time directive states:

>You can't work more than 8 hours in one go (even with breaks etc.)
>You must have 12 hours unbroken rest between work shifts.
>You must have two full days off a week
>You must be paid above £3.00/hour (that might have gone up though)

*This is all if you are under 18*

So if you worked 5 days a week at 8 hours a day (maximum under rules 1 & 3) you would have 40 hours, so that is the maximum. There is no "opt out". Also, it might interest you to know that if you're on shift work you're supposed to get free medical checkups, because shift workers get put under the category of night workers in the directive.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The working time directive states:

>You can't work more than 8 hours in one go (even with breaks etc.)
>You must have 12 hours unbroken rest between work shifts.
>You must have two full days off a week
>You must be paid above £3.00/hour (that might have gone up though)

*This is all if you are under 18*

So if you worked 5 days a week at 8 hours a day (maximum under rules 1 & 3) you would have 40 hours, so that is the maximum. There is no "opt out". Also, it might interest you to know that if you're on shift work you're supposed to get free medical checkups, because shift workers get put under the category of night workers in the directive.

its £3.40 for a 16 yr old (i think), and £4 something for a 17 year old (i think)
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
its £3.40 for a 16 yr old (i think), and £4 something for a 17 year old (i think)

I think it is the same for a 17 year old, goes up to 4.60 at 18, then 5.52 at 21...

And I really do think it is unfair that 21+ year olds should have a higher minimum wage.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by -February-Star-
£3/hour??

Where the hell do you work?

TS: If you're worried about legal obligations or whatever, ask to be paid for the extra hours cash-in-hand.

I dont work anywhere, i just worked that out based on what I thought was minimum wage
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by flambe chicken
I think it is the same for a 17 year old, goes up to 4.60 at 18, then 5.52 at 21...

And I really do think it is unfair that 21+ year olds should have a higher minimum wage.

yea, ur right.

What are the current rates of the national minimum wage?
There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1st October 2007 are:

£5.52 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of £4.60 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
£3.40 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by flambe chicken

We managed to convince my boss that minimum wage was £5.00 for under-16s, £5.25 for 16-18s and £5.50 for 18+.

Lazy bosses who can't be bothered to look things up FTW.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by flambe chicken

>21 people tend to live on their own, have to pay rent, food, bills and council tax.

So yeah, I think a higher minimum wage is fair.
Quote by freedoms_stain
>21 people tend to live on their own, have to pay rent, food, bills and council tax.

So yeah, I think a higher minimum wage is fair.

That's true of plenty of >18 people though. If anything, I think the 21+ minimum wage should be the one for people over 18.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT