There's a custom bass that I'm considering getting but I had some questions. I had already asked in another thread about the nut width but here are some more:

1. Do most 5 strings have additional truss rods in the neck? Is this necessary?

2. This one has a string through design for the low B, but that's it. What exactly does this do, with that one by itself being of this design, and if it's important, can all strings be changed to do this?

3. It just has a plain maple neck, not flamy maple and laminated. Could this be an issue? Most high end 5-strings have a laminated neck, maple and walnut.

4. The body is solid 1-piece mahogany, not laminated at all, just a big hunk of wood. Is this good or will it kill potential resale value? It looks good, but it's just not blinged out.

5. What would the wholesale cost of EMG active pickups be if I wanted to swap them out?

6. What is the best setup in terms of tone knobs or whatever? I can add some for cheap or free if I get it but I'm not sure what to add.

7. What would the typical price on something like this be? It's just a good, solid, custom bass that isn't blinged out, but it's made by a respected custom builder. Custom 5-string, plain maple neck, ebony fretboard, solid mahogany body, very high quality volume knob, two no-name but good sounding pickups, two 3-way switches (used to have even more pickups).
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 2, 2008,
Sounds like it might be a Warrior bass. If that's the case, it's a solid instrument. If not, still probably a good bass. Most of those things you listed are just fancy stuff to hike up the price on custom basses.

1. Most have just one, the second one isn't necessary. I've seen two trussrods on a four-string before, it's just something to say "hey, mine is better."

2. The sustain will be better for the B, and I'm fairly sure it will have a better low-end response for that string. You could mod it to have all string-through, but you'd have to refinish it.

3. It's fine, just superfluous crap that makes it prettier

4. If it is a one-piece body, then that's good. Again, the fancy laminated bodies are usually just for looks. One-pieces are harder to come by and denote it being a high quality instrument.

5. Magic 8-ball says "Ask again later."

6. Whatever your preferences are. It's subjective. I like simplicity, but that's me.

7. Price really depends on who makes it and how good it's put together. It sounds like a nice bass, but if it was made by Epiphone to those specs, you've got a crappy bass.

Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Nope, not a Warrior, never heard of those. It was hand built by a friend of mine, it's one of a kind, not botique.
1) No.
2) Increases the tension, allegedly, of the string. I still don't understand how that works. It doesn't make any sense to me, but that's why they do it.
3) I doubt it's unfinished. Are you sure it's not satin finish? Satin you can hardly feel under your fingers but it's still there. Maybe it is unfinished, but I can't see any problems arising.
4) That's a plus.
5) I would hope no more than $150, depending on the model. Probably ranges from $75-$150 though.
6) It depends on the pickup options. For me, if it's two pickups of any kind I like a blend knob. I'm not sure I could own a dual volume knob bass after having a blend. Other than that, obviously a master volume and then for me either 3 band active EQ or completely passive. 2 band active EQs do not please me.
7) It depends on the builder and the build quality. If I was to hazard a guess I would shoot somewhere in the $1000-$2500 range. I wouldn't be willing to pay anything more than $2500 for it, I probably wouldn't even pay that.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
7) It depends on the builder and the build quality. If I was to hazard a guess I would shoot somewhere in the $1000-$2500 range. I wouldn't be willing to pay anything more than $2500 for it, I probably wouldn't even pay that.

Surely it's worth what I'm paying for it then. Better be, I told him I'd take it. Played some other cheaper 5-strings at lunch... they felt like hell comparatively, so I'l just go with this, it feels good. I've just got another custom electric guitar that they made and I'm spoiled with the looks of it. This bass is sweet, but it just doesn't make me have wet dreams about it like my electric does. Here's my electric by the same builder below, like I said, I'm spoiled:

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/custom.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/back.jpg
1. No

2. Nothing

3. Purely aesthetic

4. If you want resale value, buy a used Ric or Gibson.

5. Idfk, search for yourself

6. Active preamp - volume, bass, mid cut/boost and frequency stacked knob, treble.

7. Whatever your friends time and the materials comes to. Probably a couple of bags of sand.
It's this green stripey bass... that green color is the same paint that several famous BBQ joints around here paints their walls... and I have no idea why they do that. Kinda cool though... paying homage to the BBQ joints. LOL

Quote by smb
Hey I really like that - how much is it going for?

I'm getting it cheap because it's used and I know the guy but I think their base models start at $2,200. Something that is a little more blinged out with flamy maple and EMG's is about $2,800. My electric was supposed to be $2,800 for sure, pictures of it are above.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't trust all the switches.

Look at the pickups, there used to be two more, he had four pickups, that's why there is switch overload. He was experimenting and recently took them out and never put them back in, that's why there's a hole there. I'm not saying it's a good thing, just explaining, but I can live with it. I'm probably going to have him change the electronics around some. I can change whatever I want for wholesale cost, that's why I was asking about EMG's.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Plus that paint reminds me of a Children's Hospital from hell.

You're obviously not a BBQ fan from Kentucky then. I like the color. Biggest thing I don't like is the hole for the pickups, and the size of the body, it's pretty big. I think it would be better if it was shaved off right behind the bridge then made a little curvier. I can't afford to have one built from scratch to my specs right now, and this one sounds and plays alot nicer than the local basses for sale that I've tried, and I can have him cut the body and change electronics anyway, so fukkit.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The problem with the switches isn't that they're there it's that they appear to be the ONLY thing there, other than a master volume.

That's kind of why there is a #6 on my list. That's exactly why I was asking that. He's adding a tone knob for free but I truly have no idea what else to add or swap out. I can get whatever I want. I just don't know what I want. Suggestions instead of put-downs would be cool.
Quote by corndogggy
It's good to see Michael Anthony out there and playing again.

Anyway, it's a Fender-style bass, with a bolt on neck. The whole laminate thing is really found on neck-thru instruments, making the necks and smaller pieces of wood as strong as they can be. Laminated necks are more than looks, but bolt-on basses won't fail on you. I find laminated bolt-on necks quite redundant. Also, like said before, a one-piece body is the best possible thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
DO:
get the tone knob
keep the BBQ racing stripes (they're cool!)

also, aren't you the guy with the narrow nut thing? is this the bass with that nut?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
also, aren't you the guy with the narrow nut thing? is this the bass with that nut?

Yuppers, that's the one. I just ran into more questions beyond the nut thing so I created a new thread. I played some 5-string basses with a wide nut today... felt really horrible, nowhere near as cool as I had expected. It's narrow, but after being able to compare them, I like it better than wide 5-strings.
arent one piece basses/guitars VERY prone to warping? usu. 2-3 pieces of wood are used, glued together with the grain running in opposite direction, to cancel out the warping
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by corndogggy
Yuppers, that's the one. I just ran into more questions beyond the nut thing so I created a new thread. I played some 5-string basses with a wide nut today... felt really horrible, nowhere near as cool as I had expected. It's narrow, but after being able to compare them, I like it better than wide 5-strings.

I agree with you there.

I think it makes it MUCH easier to play more complicated runs.

You should paint those green stripes hot pink, man.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Quote by Confused2316
I agree with you there.

I think it makes it MUCH easier to play more complicated runs.

Really? I hit complicated runs better with wider string spacing. I don't like crunching my hand up. A wider neck lets me keep my hand relatively open when I play.
im afraid of my one-piece bass thats why i keep it inside it's case all the time and not out on a stand like the other bolt on basses i have .. also the eilixer strings were $55 and i want to preserve the hell out of them.

i would see if he could do something about the hole you dont like. i would sugest putting in 2 EMG Musicman style pickups wich would cover the the hole compleatly. (if they fit)

Edit: dimentions for the MM pickup is: 3.7 bottom 3.5 top and 1.9 sides. i will update you when i find out what unit of measurement these are. my educated guess is inches b/c there is 3 centimeters to an inch(aprox) and they are def more than 2 cm wide!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Confused2316

NOOOOOOOO! BBQ green!
Quote by Emergancy Exit
im afraid of my one-piece bass thats why i keep it inside it's case all the time and not out on a stand like the other bolt on basses i have .. also the eilixer strings were $55 and i want to preserve the hell out of them.

i would see if he could do something about the hole you dont like. i would sugest putting in 2 EMG Musicman style pickups wich would cover the the hole compleatly. (if they fit)

Edit: dimentions for the MM pickup is: 3.7 bottom 3.5 top and 1.9 sides. i will update you when i find out what unit of measurement these are. my educated guess is inches b/c there is 3 centimeters to an inch(aprox) and they are def more than 2 cm wide!

If he digs the tone, why change the pickups? Just put on a pickguard or something. Also, you shouldn't be scared of your own bass. It's not gonna hurt you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
still no comments on the single-slab body? the people at GB&C would like to have a word. with all of you
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by InvaderRen
still no comments on the single-slab body? the people at GB&C would like to have a word. with all of you

What do you mean? I mentioned the one piece body. And in that comment, I mentioned that someone mentioned it before.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Come to think of it, I never talked to the builder about it being totally solid. It appears to be totally solid, but now that I think about it, it's probably a hollow body. I mean, this thing is really big, it should weigh a ton, but it just doesn't, it is surprisingly very comfortable and I'm a smaller guy. Look how thick it is though. It is actually lighter than my small four string bass. I saw the chunk of wood it came out of, they paid $300 for a big-ass chunk of mahogany that looked like a fireplace mantle and acted like it was a steal. It may be solid all the way across on the front, and also on the back, but then hollowed out in the middle. That would make sense to me at least, especially considering the light weight for what it is. African mahogany is almost as dense as oak, and I know what a piece of oak that size would weigh... it wouldn't be very comfy. But, I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice. Basically, I don't really know. I just know that there are no seams/joints/laminates all across the front.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 3, 2008,
If they did that I might reconsider buying the bass. In my experience, mahogany is a decently light wood for making a bass out of. Your current bass may be made out of a heavier wood and that's why you've balked at it.
My current bass is made out of some kind of plastic I guess, or may be wood with some kind of covering on it. It's alot smaller, but still heavier. Feels like it's made out of concrete.
Mahogany is actually a pretty light wood for construction. Also, as far as one piece construction of the body is concerned, there's very little evidence that it's superior. Multiple piece bodies are cheaper, and less pretty, that's all.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.