Hi there guys. I was just wondering if you could buy just the inards (circuits) from pedals so you could just put them in your own boxes as that would be quite cool as you could put 'em in loads of stuff like sweet tins and the like. Yeah and if you can get them where can you get them from? They sell PCB's on BYOC but I'm not sure if this is the right thing or notif it is it would be awsome as they are cheap as hell.
Thanks in advance.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
general guitar gadgets sells kits too, i think you can decidw whether you want to buy a box along with it or not! generalguitargadgets.com
I guess your asking if they sell already assembled boards to put in your own enclosure. Havent seen that places either sell a kit that needs to be assembled or they sell complete pedals. You can always take the guts out and put em in another enclosure.
Ok thanks for both of you'res help so far. The website looks good thank you very much. I guess that is what BYOC is selling too. I have realised a problem in that there is no knobs switches etc. But I guess you can get these cheaply on Maplin and the like. And tackleberry - I see what you mean about getting complete ones and putting 'em in another box but you still have to pay a fair price. Oh and by the way if this helps anyone - I don't mind doing a bit of soldering. It was more of the fact it would be pretty retro and lots cheaper.
Call me Duncan.

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Been doing some digging around (googleing) and discovered you can kind of sets of parts for pedals (here - http://www.banzaieffects.com/Sets-c-336.html) Is it correct that all i would have to do is solder one of those PCB's to it all (plus a box)and it would work or am i missing something(s)? Thanks
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
The BYOC pedals are complete kits knobs, switches etc. Actually a pretty good deal compared to store bought ones. And the enclosure is blank so you can paint it however you want.
Thanks but thats not quite what i am after... How does everyone else build their pedals??
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
after you buy the PCB your going to have to source all the parts for it, and then solder them on it.Then just mount it in a enclosure and wire up the jacks.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/

you can buy a PCBs there (or just buy the kits)

http://www.smallbearelec.com/ you can get parts for the PCB jacks wire and enclosures there, everything else you need
ok thanks for the info will look further that website. So what do I need other than the PCB ie the specific bits. Or would the my link (this one http://www.banzaieffects.com/Sets-c-336.html) be all I need to add it all. I have looked at one or diagrams and it seems that it would. By the way sorry if I sound like I am being a fussy jerk of a moose.
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Those kits have the right stuff for many basic pedals.Youll have to decide on a pedal first.
I dont know what pedal you are looking at, but fuzz faces are pretty basic and easy to build
If you buy the PCB then you just get the components in the list.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_npn_bom.pdf

as for your link, it would work fine if you bought any of the 3 effect pedal sets for a lot of basic effects.You would just need the PCB and components found in the bill of materials to finish it.
I just finished making the multi-face from runoffgroove.com
And I ordered parts from smallbearelectronics.com and pedalpartsplus.com. Runoffgroove has some cool simple circuits you can make.

But I just used a generic pad per hold Perforated board, and assembled it myself. But having a printed circuit board does make things a lot easier.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
ok thanks for the more help. I think I may have got confused.. With the PCB's on BYOC do they come assembeled with the stuff (apart from switches etc) already on them. So if the PCB comes what I would call pre-assembled, would i then only need a switch, two jacks, an ac jack and a battery snap? I hope that makes sense.
Duncan.
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
no they do not come assembled from GGG or BYOC.
they are just a bare pcbs ready for you to solder components on it.

a switch, two jacks,an ac jack and a battery snap will be a good start for most pedals.remember you will almost certainly need pots and some pedals need different switches for octave or gain and stuff.

youll have to decide on a pedal before you figure out what switches pots and jacks you need. buying the stuff to put on the pcb isnt very hard and its pretty cheap in a lot of cases.
the components for the pcb (if its not a delay or something) can cost about as much as the pcb or less
Ok cool thanks for the info. I shall look for the bits I'll need now but what would I need for something like a tubescreamer?
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Seems like I might as well get the guitar gadgets one after all as I can get it for £35 delivered. And it gets rid of the hassle of finding all the bits etc.
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
is this your first build? if so, i wouldn't recommend doing what i think you're trying to do.

populating (putting stuff in) a PCB is a LOT easier than wiring pots and switches. especially 3PDT switches, they're hell if you have a thick soldering iron. what I recommend, after numerous pedal builds, is you get a real tubescreamer, gut everything out, and put in a different box where you can put the actual switch on. OR getting a Maxon tubescreamer (OD808 or something?) so you get the true bypass switch.

either that, or get a kit and work your way up. doing what you're tyring to do without the proper knowledge (in other words, being a first timer) is hard and costly. do you have a plan of what you're gonna do if you mess up?

oh, and populating a PCB is easy. i'll recommend you to try it. its fun too, at least better than wiring a 3PDT switch.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok thank you very much for your advice. Yes I am a first timer at building pedals. I think I have one last question now. Would I have to put any flux or anything on the things I am solering to the PCB or do I just solder straight on to it?
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!