so i have a line 6 spider II 75 watt amp and i am microphoning with a shure sm57 into our audio interface. i am thinking of buying a line6 pod xT to enhance my recording sound or trading my amp in to get a half-stack. is microphoning better than directly recording? any suggestions in what i should do to enhance my recording sound?
99% of people on here will tell you to buy a new amp.

micing you can get a lot of diffnt sounds, im no expert but the room you are in, where you are in it, where the mic is are all factors witch change the sound
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
At a quick guess, Using a Pod on its own would be much better than using the Spider from Bulbs results anyway, but that takes time, knowledge of tone in the first place and a few handy tips and tricks, something you likely dont /know have if you bought a spider tbh.
So in this case, your better of recording direct, but in most cases with high end amps, micing is the best option.

What half stack are you trading the Spider in for? A Bigger Spider will sound almost the same if thats your plan.

As the guys have said above, Dont feel the urge that the bigger and louder you go the better your end results, especially if its only for recording, get something good and tube.

And the big question, what sort of sound are you looking for?
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
i was thinking of getting a marshall mg100. i want to get a modern rock/metal distortion. my favorite bands are avenged sevenfold and breaking benjamin so something similar to that tone
Your not going to get anywhere near Modren tones from an MG. Listen to this thread, a lot of people here know what they are talking about.

Basically, you want to ditch the Spider, and never think of buying an MG, because that trade isnt worth it for you, just because its big, doesn't mean its better.

The Spiders better in range of options but only that really. The MG, will not give you the tones of those 2 bands, Breaking Benjamin use Deizel VH4s, A7X use Bogners (cant remember the specific head) and Mesa Triple Recs with matching cabs. All within the price region of £1500-£3000 for the heads alone and all Tube.

These amps are designed for Hi gain, and the tone your hearing on the albums, the MG is not, they are designed as practice and beginner amps and cost about £450 for the half stack your talking about. See a difference?

You pay for what you get just like everything else and usually most of that money is for the branding but obviously, some buys are better than others for the same price. The Best option besides maybe a POD and direct recording, if your pushed for funds, because I doubt trade in on that Spider is much, would be a ValveKing with a boost pedal if you need it, for the price Ive heard good things and considered one myself for a while.

As I said, a lot of people on here know what they are talking about, so listen to them, and search the forums, search for the MGs and Spiders, see the connection between them?
The people here will be able to help better than I can.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
Last edited by GenderConfusedJ at Jun 2, 2008,
^ Kid knows his ****.
He's learnt from the best init.

Get a Pod XT, download Bulb's patches, tweak, away you go to tone heaven, and everyone's happy. You can run it through the PA with the Pod's speaker sim aswell, and have good tone for gigs, without the audience's ears being raped by ****ty Marshall MG Tone.

They're really great for recording too, seriously.
You'll get an idea for a song, plug into your pod, load your sequencer, and you're ready to start recording within a minute.
thank you for replying this has helped alot. just wondering, what type of marshall half-stack or stack would sound best for recording?
I would definitely consider a 1x12 or 2x12 tube combo and a quality overdrive, that will get you way closer to the tone your after. It's all you would ever need. In general we try to avoid Spiders because of the tone and MG's because of the price you pay for Marshall written on the front.

I'll disagree with some in this thread and say that most people on here who bash the MG have not sat down with one and got the tone they desired. An MG's tone is not bad for a solid state, it's just overpriced for what you get.

//I have an MG250DFX. It was free...

Now to address the original post. If you have a quality amplifier it is preferred to use mics. You'll capture more of your tone (good or bad). On the other side of that coin you can go direct into a recording interface and use a VST plugin or a sim like ReValver or Amplitube. These are usually passable, but you can still tell.

For best results grab an audio interface. Go to Musicians Friend click on "Recording" and then "Audio Interfaces" and sort by Price low to high and take a look at whats in your price range. For as little as $100 you can something like a Presonus Inspire Refurb that gives you 2 inputs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/computer-hardware-recording-cards-audio-interfaces?N=100001%2b304891&Ns=P_Price%7c0&page=1

Grab two Shure SM57's at $99 each.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

Grab a budget tube amp like a ValveKing, Bugera, Crate etc... should be able to make out between $200-$600 depending on how big you want to go.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001%2b338503&Ns=P_Price%7c0&page=1

Are you gigging?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
/\ Never thought to mention about amp sim software and all, Death-Speak made a good point, they can be very good, and the results can be good after alot of tinkering. From using both, Guitar Rig3 and Amplitube 2, Amplitube seems better for the Higain sounds and they have just released "Amplitube Metal", so that might be worth trying. If you decide to go this way the software which I'd recommend buying as you get the interface and foot switches, which as far as Im aware will be ok for direct recording without a separate interface.

Part of the reasons I compared the prices was to give you an idea of the price of the Marshall in terms of what you get. Try to find a used JCM800, if your really wanting to stick with Marshall, but you may need an OD boost to stay up with the Deizels and Recs in terms of gain, but then again, alot of bands use no where near as much gain as your led to think.
And the above listed amps are your best bet, especially the Bugeras for the price if your not gigging as the reliability issues still seem uncertain. Waiting on them to become clearer myself before I make a purchase if moneys limited at the end of summer.

Ive spent everyday of the last 7-8 months with MG's within reach at college and havent found any tone near enough to what he is looking for, sure there fine for some stuff, but not what he has listed imo.

Also, dont feel the need to go half or definitely full stack! for recording, a 2x12 or combo will do.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
I don't know a great deal about amps (apart from how horrible the MG series is), so I can't really comment on that aspect of things. I am however, a strong believer in recording guitars with microphones rather than DI.

I personally think you can get a far better tone from mic'ing, whereas I always think DI'ing is a bit lifeless unless you're working with really top end gear. Plus there's a real art to mic'ing up an instrument, which is a good skill to learn for recording.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
I don't know a great deal about amps (apart from how horrible the MG series is), so I can't really comment on that aspect of things. I am however, a strong believer in recording guitars with microphones rather than DI.

I personally think you can get a far better tone from mic'ing, whereas I always think DI'ing is a bit lifeless unless you're working with really top end gear. Plus there's a real art to mic'ing up an instrument, which is a good skill to learn for recording.

dUDE....one person says that the MG series is bad, and then another, and another, and so on...
Come on! I do all my recordings with my Marshall MG 15, i dont think i have GREAT TONE, but its usable , and for the price, not bad at all.

Take a listen to my covers and see for yourself:

www.soundclick.com/nunoslash

As i said, not GREAT TONE, but its good for the price IMO. And i dont use any fancy editing software or stuff, just audacity
Each to his own of course, but I played with a borrowed MG for a while when my amp broke and just hated it. The one I used was the 50 version.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by NunoSlash
dUDE....one person says that the MG series is bad, and then another, and another, and so on...
Come on! I do all my recordings with my Marshall MG 15, i dont think i have GREAT TONE, but its usable , and for the price, not bad at all.

For the tones he is looking for, It really is not.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
I vote PodX3. I used to mic my amps to record, and great sounds can be had, but it can be very frustrating and time consuming, just read all the "my amp sounds killer in the room but crappy on the recording" threads here and at other forums. I use a TonelabLE direct now. The cool thing about direct is what you hear is what you get. More and more pros are going direct both live and in studio. Check out Lincoln Brewster......killer guitar tone from a Pod x3. Another plus is volume level. Put on some headphones and no one else will hear a thing. With an amp, even a SS amp, to get a really good sound you need to get the speaker thumpin a bit, that may or may not be an issue for you, for me it was--wife,neighbors etc. Bottom line is that you can get good sounds either way, I just feel at our level ( assuming your a hobbyist like me) its easier to get good repeatable results direct. This is just my humble opinion, YMMV.......good luck! Rock on! BTW check my profile for a few samples of the Tonelab direct.
Let me clarify I'm not advocating the use of a solid state amp. I do believe that tubes do truly sound better in almost every possible scenario.

The point I'm trying to make is for a solid state amp an MG is not the worst amp, it's probably not the best, but certainly not the worst. The deal is the price you pay for the MG making it a bone head decision actually buying an MG new or even refurb.

And I will have to do some digging but I do remember in the last 6 months some guy posting some recordings from a miced MG250DFX (the exact model I have) and people couldn't believe the decent tone.

I think I may have to dig it up just for this arguement.

DS

EDIT: Here we go folks.... click the guys profile link and listen to "Gone Away". So I say it is possible to get decent tone out of an MG.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780970&highlight=Marshall+MG
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Jun 4, 2008,