Hey guys.

I'm gonna get a camcorder for my birthday soonish (it's a late present from my parents) and they've insisted that they'd get a camcorder wit ha hard drive. Now, i don't really trust computers and i want the videos to be in a physical form (as in on tape or whatever...CD's are too fragile). I mean, if say the camera broke or i had to format my computer, then i'd lose all those films/memories. I just wanna film my youth and then watch it 20 years later for laughs.

My parents argument is, that they think the hard drive version would be better, because i'd have more recording time, and i could convert them into a computer without hassle for editing (which i dont really need...all i want is memories)

Do you think i should get a hard drive, DVD or a Tape camera?
Personally, i'd go for the tape, purely because if you've been on holiday its all stored on the hard-drive and u accidently format it or drop it in water or something everything will be lost, whereas if it was a tape, it wouldn't be as much.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by jmilli2
Hard drive... store more... easy to transfer/edit..... you can back it up onto 20 different drives if you're worried about losing it.

^ This.

Make a backup as soon as you film it, so you have at least 2 copies. Try and make a hard copy on a DVD too. Tape camcorders are old technology now, and soon it will probably be hard to find tapes for them. Same idea as 35mm cameras I guess.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

either hard drive or a dvd one
it could be difficult in the future to get a vhs player or converter but im not sure.
Thanks for the replies so far guys, and i think i'm reconsidering.

I'm open for more opinions though
Hey Dude,
It all really depends what you want it for like the new hard drive cameras would probably be alright but make sure its new and you've tested it first cause lighting seems to be a real issue with those camera. my personal choice is still dv (tape) cameras because when you load it into your computer it isnt compressed which means its usually (depending on how much you actually paid for the camera) better quality but i've made some short films and **** with hard drive cameras before and its turned out alright and yeah they are really user friendly and by the way the world is going your file will probably last longer as a video file than as tape and you can always edit it all together, burn it then copy it to a vhs tape.

hope i helped.
If you need a hard recording,get a hi-8. Yes, they're an old format, but I bet you you could get one really cheap...
that's of course if whoever's getting you the camera has a budget.
If you can spend whatever, I'd recommend something like this-
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8732696&type=product&id=1201307759045
Not that exact one, I don't know anything about camcorders, but something that you can hold in the palm of one hand. Most camcorders today are like that, however.
Newbs are dorks... oh wait, I'm a newb... shoot...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

One of these smilies is mentally challenged
i have a DV tape one and its really easy to transfer the video to pc for editing and stuff, the only difference might be time. if a HDD just does file transfers it might be much faster, where a DV tape it takes as long to transfer as the film is you recorded.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Thanks for the Replies!

To thefreshman:

used is really out of the question, and that's probably the only way for the hi8 format. However, is the mini DV format bad?
Dv Tapes Are sweet dude and the wont be going obsilete anytime soon cause they are still used in professional video cameras
Thanks Punk!

I think i'll go for a hard drive one and then somehow also transfer the files on tapes for future viewing.

How do you suggest i do that?
Quote by zwound
Thanks Punk!

I think i'll go for a hard drive one and then somehow also transfer the files on tapes for future viewing.

How do you suggest i do that?

there are plenty of ways to do it but one of the simplest methods would just be to pick up a cheap dvd player with av inputs/outputs and vhs player with the av inputs/outputs and recording capabilities then just run the dvd player into the video player with av cords and then run the video player into your tv so you can see whats going on then just hit record on the vhs player and all should be good.

p.s. theres probably a much easier way than that but i havent slept in about 32 hours so im not really thinking straight
Quote by punk_player
there are plenty of ways to do it but one of the simplest methods would just be to pick up a cheap dvd player with av inputs/outputs and vhs player with the av inputs/outputs and recording capabilities then just run the dvd player into the video player with av cords and then run the video player into your tv so you can see whats going on then just hit record on the vhs player and all should be good.

p.s. theres probably a much easier way than that but i havent slept in about 32 hours so im not really thinking straight

I feel ya, man

Try playing 26 hours of football manager 2008 fstraight (no food etc)....god that game is addicting...Well...at least that's yesterday.

One question though...why do i need the dvd player? Couldnt I just run the camera into the TV and let a VCR somehow record the screen?

I appreciate the help
haha yeah i was going to say that but i couldnt think of a way to put it basically i think you would just plug the camera into the video player inputs and the run the video player into your tv