eh i thought about creting a band.. i got the second guitarist.. and i'm the first one and the singer as ewll.. we arrange the gutiar parts between likei can play chords nad he the leads.. or vice versa... or i can play the bass... than change the guitar for solos... (oh and also i'll get this drummer to join my band.... i met one of the partys)

so eh umm the question is.... everbody tells me to get a bassist.. but i odno i don't think it's very important for my band...

eh so just kinda we play 60-70 classic rock (all the geners of that era)

so just take a lsten to my band's songas (not too much songs though) and tell me if i have to get a bassist.. k?
um. yeah.

bassists are KINDA important.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

bass is very important, it helps tie the guitar and drum together and when guitar goes on solo keep beat set for guitar to get back, look at The Who they had a phenomenal bass player, Townsend even said that he added lead and flair but the bass player could sound as good as a lead guitar, without bass you lose alot, just my opinion
it would help if you spoke proper english

and yes, you cannot do without a bassist
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Everyone will say a bassist is necessary, but it isn't. It will definitely help make your music better, though.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Play with a bass player a few times, ask him to leave, then you'll see why you need a bass player.
it sounds alot better with bass because the bass is a deep beat setting instrument, sure can do with out but you are alot better with, guitar solos can make a person shake head and smile but bass will get their foot tapping
Quote by aceofspades1988
it sounds alot better with bass because the bass is a deep beat setting instrument, sure can do with out but you are alot better with, guitar solos can make a person shake head and smile but bass will get their foot tapping

Well soloing without a bass would probably make people shake their heads, definately...
you are not:
a) the Doors (and even they had a bassist in the studio)
b) the White Stripes

then get yourself a bass player
Quote by vigenharutyunya
yeah but actualyl i've got the second rhythm guitar son it will sound "full" i thinkk

It won't sound full because you're not providing those proper low notes.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Do you have access to a bass guitar or an octave pedal? Then try recording some bass lines on songs that you have recorded. You should be able to decide if it sounds better with or without.

Alternatively, if you know someone who plays bass roughly on your level and ask them if they will sit in on a practice and play with you for a bit. (I would suggest asking someone who is already committed to a band, so that there is no awkward "yeah, um, we decided we don't want a bass player" moment.)
You need a bassist. Take our word for it now and you'll realize how important it is as you get more experience.

Also, it would be better to have 1 guitar and 1 bass than to have 2 guitars.
It sounds like you've already made up your mind that you don't need a bass, but if that were true the "standard" band wouldn't consist of a Guitarist, vocals, bass and drums. Unless you are really good and experianced you will sound completely empty without a bass.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Since you have to ask, you pretty much do. Someone who really knows what they're doing might be able to get away without a bassist, but you'll probably want SOMEONE on bass, even if it's you as you say.
Some form of bass tone is usualy desirable, especialy in rock bands, but it needn't come from an actual bass player, keyboard players can provide the bass tone, (like how The Doors did it) or you can get bass bass pedals ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_pedals ) or one of your guitars can act as a bass (just turn up the 'bass' on the amp and turn the 'treble' down)
Quote by vigenharutyunya
so eh umm the question is.... everbody tells me to get a bassist.. but i odno i don't think it's very important for my band...

Why don't you hang a sign round your neck saying 'I know nothing'?
Quote by GiantRaven
Why don't you hang a sign round your neck saying 'I know nothing'?

The guy is obviously just simply inexperienced, and is finding out stuff the best way you can, by asking questions. If you consider yourself more experienced than him, maybe you could offer some constructive advice.
aha.. actually i'm not that much inexperienced

just kinda i don want a bassist that much and can play bass with my processor (it'll arrive soon) like with whammy pedal.. ya know getting the sound one octave down.... and...

hehe but i dono loads of guys here tell me to get a bassist but not everysong by us needs a bass line and actualyl ya know we have two gutiars and that can be it...
If you are asking this very question you don;t understand the meaning of the word band or you don;t have the ability to make great music, possibly good, but not great.

A true musician realizes that, Live especially, bass is the most important instrument for a bands sound.

Sorry if thats harsh but I feel its the truth.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by vigenharutyunya
aha.. actually i'm not that much inexperienced

just kinda i don want a bassist that much and can play bass with my processor (it'll arrive soon) like with whammy pedal.. ya know getting the sound one octave down.... and...

hehe but i dono loads of guys here tell me to get a bassist but not everysong by us needs a bass line and actualyl ya know we have two gutiars and that can be it...

yea, you are inexperienced. Your probably that kid in High School who tells everyone his "band" is playing at the talent show and when its your turn to go up and play its you and some other kid who barely knows how to play. Your not in time with each other. Your drummer backed out at the last second and remember bas isn't important. You play a crap version of Iron Man in which you blame your rhythm guitarist for all the reasons it wasn't to your standard.

The Bass guitar literally makes you sound like a band. Its the whole low end of the musical spectrum. Without it, you playing in anything larger then a band room, will sound like distorted waves and some guy crashing on some cymbals.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
eh to good chatrlot sux...

eh ya know i don't even plan to play at school... and cover songs... ay know i'm songwriter... (yeah asongwriter..)

songs are written with every note in it's place... and PS like Bass is not that much needed...

hehe i was just asking if some one could actualyl offer a riff or two for a certain song (my song)
Well actually, now that I think about it, it really depends on what you're playing. If you're doing more acoustic-oriented stuff then a bass isn't a big deal, but in that case I'm wondering why you have a drummer. Maybe some other percussion like a djembe or bongos or something, but generally a drummer implies a bassist and vice versa. However, if you're doing like, regular rock kinda stuff, a bassist would be really really really really really really helpful. Anyways, obviously there's a difference between getting a bassist and getting a bassline out. As long as you have some way of cranking out low notes, it doesn't matter if it's from an actual bass player or whatever.

songs are written with every note in it's place... and PS like Bass is not that much needed...

hehe i was just asking if some one could actualyl offer a riff or two for a certain song (my song)

*Facepalm*

Tell you what, put some of your songs up on here (preferably in powertab or guitar Pro, or actual recordings) and let us judge whether they need bass.

EDIT: I listened to the recordings on your profile. They need bass.

After all, if you're playing to an audience, it's what *they* think about the song that matters, not what you think.
You might think that your band are the next Led Zeppelin, but if the people listening think that you sound like a crappy stereo underwater in the next town, nobody will come to listen to you.

If you don't care about your audience...well, that's your problem. Good luck playing in your parent's basement for the next ten years.

I wonder why every band that you like (I had to read your profile. I hope I've done something really bad in my past, because I just did penance for it) had someone providing the bass part? With the exception of Robert Johnson, OK, but he was a solo performer. The Doors had Raymond Manzarek to give them bass and had studio bassists.

If you think that bass is unimportant, why did all of those bands have someone playing it? Did they just think 'we need a bassist, who cares what they play, just...we need one' ?
Or did they realise that it's critical to the sound of a band?

Bass ties drums and guitar together. Bass makes the sound of a band fuller. Bass sounds fucking awesome as well. Why are you limiting your sound to not having bass? They can play notes, which sound good.

You've made up your mind that you don't need a bassist, though, so here's a suggested riff.

Take the chord you're playing.
Find the root of that chord.
Play it every time you strum that chord. Change note as appropriate.

Hey presto, you've got a bassline.
Last edited by Samzawadi at Jun 3, 2008,
Referring to what slackerbabbath said before turning up the bass on youre guitar amp will not make you a bassist. Regardless of how high you put the bass knob, your guitar will still be an octave higher than a bass would be.

After listening to your sound files you could really use a bassist.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by bluntfoot
Referring to what slackerbabbath said before turning up the bass on youre guitar amp will not make you a bassist. Regardless of how high you put the bass knob, your guitar will still be an octave higher than a bass would be.

My point was, it would still provide more bass than a 'normal' sounding guitar.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
eh i thought about creting a band.. i got the second guitarist.. and i'm the first one and the singer as ewll.. we arrange the gutiar parts between likei can play chords nad he the leads.. or vice versa... or i can play the bass... than change the guitar for solos... (oh and also i'll get this drummer to join my band.... i met one of the partys)

eh so just kinda we play 60-70 classic rock (all the geners of that era)

so just take a lsten to my band's songas (not too much songs though) and tell me if i have to get a bassist.. k?

/grammar check

And yes a bassist would be essential for what you'd be playing

EDIT: And what do you mean by: change the guitar for solos.
You know that isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as you think
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
If you are asking this very question you don;t understand the meaning of the word band or you don;t have the ability to make great music, possibly good, but not great.

A true musician realizes that, Live especially, bass is the most important instrument for a bands sound.

Sorry if thats harsh but I feel its the truth.

As a bassist I've realized that's not actually true. It's the rhythm section and vocals that are the most important, I think that's a misconception about bass spread by bassists. Any producer would agree with me. It's not considered important because it isn't really, I mean lots of new bands are showing that it isn't even required The White Stripes, The Kills, The Ting Tings, The Black keys, The Gossip, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Eagles of Death Metal, Keane, The Doors, Sleater-Kinney and nummerous acoustic sets. Bassists tend to be idealistic and defend there instruments, guitarists automatically believe them so they don't look ignorant.
Remember band needs bass but it can come keyboards, electric guitar, cello and flitering. Bass dosn't have to be bass guitar. When people complain about there being no bass in rock music they are talking nonsense. There is low end it's just not provided by bass. But by the kick drum and distorted guitars.

My god I feel like a catholic masterbating with a cruicfix right now..............

p.s You need a bassist, I'm just ranting.
Last edited by Acidshred at Jun 9, 2008,
listen to the advice people are giving you. why did u ask a question when u refuse to accept an answer that you dont like. YOU NEED A BASSIST.
best signature ever
Just cause thier parts aren't l0oud in the mix or sometimes very simplisitc mdosen't mean the bass is unimportant. You really should get a bassist if you are playing any sort of classic rock as it will sound alot better with your drummer, otherwise (and i have experience of this) your songs will sound very hollow and empty
you dont a bassist
but you dont even need a band, you could live with out a band
but you want a band because that makes you happy
and most bands have bassist because it sound much better for most people
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
you do
we tried without and sounded really s***
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
There's a reason why almost every band has a bass player.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown