I hold my picks between my index finger and thumb...I see people (mostly everyone who gets lessons) hold it with the first knuckle of their index finger and then the fleshy side of the thumb...Anyone else hold it my way the others way or your own SPECIAL way....JK about the special btw
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
I hold my picks between my index finger and thumb...I see people (mostly everyone who gets lessons) hold it with the first knuckle of their index finger and then the fleshy side of the thumb...Anyone else hold it my way the others way or your own SPECIAL way....JK about the special btw

I hold my pick between the fleshy side of my thumb and around the first knuckle of my middle finger. This leaves my index finger available for quick finger taps or harmonics.

I've never seen any one else hold a pick like that, it just seems natural to me.
Quote by ipersist
I hold my pick between the fleshy side of my thumb and around the first knuckle of my middle finger. This leaves my index finger available for quick finger taps or harmonics.

I've never seen any one else hold a pick like that, it just seems natural to me.
Hey thats pretty clever...but you can also tap with your middle finger if you use your index finger to grip the pick instead of your middle.
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
between my index and thumb, slightly tilted when alt picking or using harmonics.
lBlUlTlTlSlElClKlSl
My Anti-Drug
Quote by ipersist

EVH holds his pick like that.
it varys because i tend to hold my pick at an angle when i play rhythm or do squealies. and i hold it at an 85 degreee andgle when i play leads.
lol i do it the special (like special class) way, inbetween my thumb and first and middle fingers
ya it looks stupid and adds no immediate boons to my playing but i likes what i likes.
Depends on what I play. I usually bend my index finger, put the pick on the finger's side, then push it down lightly with my thumb.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
I hold my pick between the fleshy side of my pinky and around the forth knuckle of my index finger. With this way of holding the pick, it allows me to use my big toe while using alt picking or my teeth for harmonics.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
I hold my pick with the fleshy side of my thumb against the index, right between the first and second knuckles. It lets me tap with my index without dropping the pick and doing pinched harmonics with the tip/edge of my index, which sound awesome and precise.
Last edited by Whiskky at Jun 3, 2008,
i hold the pick with the fleshy part of my thumb tip on one side and the tips of both my index and middle fingers grip the other side. so only my ring and pinky are completely free. i am self tought tho.
to tap, i just slide my index over the front of the pick. its still gripped by my middle finger and my index juts over the top so i can tap with it.
Index and thumb at a 53 percent angle tilted to 23 degrees in correlation to the sun
/CENTER]
first of all, i use a 1.52mm jazz pick

the pick rests on the first joint of my index finger and right in front of the first joing of my thumb so that the top 1cm of my thumb sticks out. This allows for fast picking. My middle finger just sticks and does nothing so that i can tap with it. My ring and pinky finger rest on the whammy bar.
i hold it between index flesh and thumb flesh cause I'm self taught...Also I just found out My way is the same as Syn for A7X kinda...
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
Hey thats pretty clever...but you can also tap with your middle finger if you use your index finger to grip the pick instead of your middle.

Thanks i jus tried that out and im finding harmonics instantly easier o.O
Quote by pl0x
Index and thumb at a 53 percent angle tilted to 23 degrees in correlation to the sun

My technique is more awesome, when I create a certain frequency with my guitar, space time warps occur and islands disappear into the future. Yes, you read it here first; I am, in fact, the creator of the time machine from Lost. The donkey (polar bear) wheel was just there for the lulz.
Guitars:

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC

Pedals:
I hold the pick with my lips and strum so I have both hands free for the whole neck.
i hold it normally... it's before the first knuckle of the index finger btw. it's the fleshy part of both the thumb and index finger. it's good for fast picking. i hold it really short. meybe like 3 mm sticking out for speed and super easy pinch harmonics. i shift it out a little while playing for comfort.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by ipersist

My friend Mark holds his pick like that. He says that from the way he holds the pick his index finger naturally mutes strings he doesn't want playing, for example if he's string skipping. I can't play comfortably like that though.
thumb and knuckle.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
between the tip of my thumb and the side of my index finger tip and i rest my pinky on the guitars body
Quote by SovietSpartan
My technique is more awesome, when I create a certain frequency with my guitar, space time warps occur and islands disappear into the future. Yes, you read it here first; I am, in fact, the creator of the time machine from Lost. The donkey (polar bear) wheel was just there for the lulz.

Oh haha.. two posts and neither made anyone care

anyways.. i hold it between the index and thumb but kinda like on the 1st knuckle of index but the index is on a 45 degree angle.
Ibanez RG321MH - Royal Blue = sexness
Thumb and middle FTW.
Although most of the time I add the index finger for support, but when I increase speed, the middle finger seems to be used more (but there may be some occasional support)
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by sK_yoda
Oh haha.. two posts and neither made anyone care

anyways.. i hold it between the index and thumb but kinda like on the 1st knuckle of index but the index is on a 45 degree angle.

Typically, on these types of posts, most people read the TS then just reply, without reading through all the posts.

At least that's what I did. Do you really think anyone is going to try my epic method? Hell no, they are not capable.

Guitars:

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC

Pedals:
Quote by SovietSpartan
Typically, on these types of posts, most people read the TS then just reply, without reading through all the posts.

At least that's what I did. Do you really think anyone is going to try my epic method? Hell no, they are not capable.

Which means nobody reads the replies to any posts here, so posting is pointless.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I position mine in-between the tip and knuckle of my thumb and the side of my pointer finger at about a 45° angle to my thumb.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
i hold it between index flesh and thumb flesh cause I'm self taught...Also I just found out My way is the same as Syn for A7X kinda...

I've always held it like that, but now my fingers get sweaty and when I strum the pick goes flying.

So now I've been trying to adjust to the way the guys holding it in aznmetalhead93's pic.
Quote by Simsimius
Which means nobody reads the replies to any posts here, so posting is pointless.

touché
Guitars:

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC

Pedals:
I use thumb and middle finger with my pointer flying around lol it looks really funny but it's awesome when you solo it lets me pick way faster.... And I did it the epic way and read posts!!!!! I get a point!
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
Last edited by nasadm at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Simsimius

Proof of that is that I made a totally idiotic comment because I misread ipersist's post.

But I've actually read the whole thread.
I always pick with my thumb and middle finger. I learned about a year after I started doing this that it is indeed "incorrect" in the eyes of some, but by then I had already become proficient with it and I don't think I will change back for any reason. It's really hard to anchor the pinkie in that position, which is good, and it leaves the index finger open for any small amounts of tapping that may be needed.

It ain't broke, so I won't fix it.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by iceyice
Thanks i jus tried that out and im finding harmonics instantly easier o.O
lol so its for the better?...and np buddy
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects