Just wondering if any amps, cheaper than the few grand a Mesa boogie Triple or Dual rectifier would cost, can get remotely near to the grind of one?

Theres clones and amps that aim to replicate tones of marshalls and Fenders, but i've never seen this for Mesa Boogies!
ive never played one but i heard bugeras are good.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

the b-52 amps are called the poor mans mesa, but i've never played one
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
B-52 At-100's are the best for the price, especially if you can get a used one.

I got my cab and head for less than $750
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
ill check out the b-52s, problem is with 2nd hand mesas are they are few and far between here in the UK
A Peavey XXX is some what close. They are not real budget minded, but new the heads are around a 1000 dollars. You can find used combos under 500-800 on ebay, in the USA, but the combos are discontinued.
had a look at the b52 at-100 and it looks good, basically how you say a poor mans mesa boogie, problem now is finding one, does anyone have any idea links to getting one in the UK, stores or internet? I wouldn't mind shipping one from states if someone knows a store that will ship.
if you're in the UK, there are loads of better-value options. None will sound exactly the same as a recto, but they sound "as good", just "slightly different".

Take a look into engl, brunetti, framus, laney, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
engl fireball and powerball
brunetti xlr-evo
framus dragon and cobra
laney vh100r

really depends by what you mean by "cheaper"... those are somewhere around one-third to two-thirds the price of a recto here... probably several others i've forgotten too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks ill check those out, my pice range is i would like to spend around £500 for a head, but could go up to 8-900 if its exactly what I'm after.
Well, a 5150 is also a harsh american-voiced amp, with a different low end and gain structure. I dunno if that's what you're after.
thing is whilst i love the tone of a mesa boogie i would also like to get somewhere near a slash GnR tone as well

Dave: think those amps ya mentioned are a bit expensive, most around 1k, the vh100r is around 600 but a lot weaker to me than the b52s
Last edited by RzrbldeSuitcas3 at Jun 2, 2008,
yeah its just the opinion iv formed from sound clips, the laney site is awful, i have no actual experience with either amp.
ok if b52s are impossible to get over here, where else should I be looking for a second hand Mesa, as opposed to eBay?
guitar shops? i'd have thought they'd still be too dear second-hand, considering what they go for new here. if your price range is around the £500-£600 mark for a head, and you're after a mesa-ish tone, you'll struggle to do much better than the lany vh100r, new at least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as i say i could stretch to 7-800 if i can find one,
re: the vh100r - do you know any good sound clips, everyone ive heard has just sounded poor, not really mesa-ish, just don't sound anywhere as huge?
Quote by Johnbryant
A Peavey XXX is some what close. They are not real budget minded, but new the heads are around a 1000 dollars. You can find used combos under 500-800 on ebay, in the USA, but the combos are discontinued.
+1
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION