(cookie for anyone who gets the topic title - it ain't hard people)

Yeah. I'm posting on the Pit for life advice. I must have hit an all time low :P
To be fair, it has nothing to do with a girl, although there is a girl in the story

So, I've been playing guitar since May last year and I would say I'm pretty good, although I still have some trouble with learning and imitating rhythms from my teacher - ones in songs I know are fine
I've started a sort of band, although we can't find a drummer. I really want to like, take this to the next level and make a career out of guitar. Of course, I'm 15 atm, but what do you think my next steps should be? Do you think it's not even worth it?

Btw, I wouldn't even think about abandoning uni, high school etc. for this until I was sucessful :P
Not saying LIKE when not required first of all.

You don't NEED a drummer, drum machine maybe, or if one of you can sort of play, you can record the person playing and use that.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
The title is from Sweet Child O' Mine.

If you're having trouble learning rhythms then don't you think that something is wrong there? I mean, music is about rhythms and you might want to consider whether you're good ENOUGH to be in a band.

I know, I'm in three bands.
Quote by gabcd86
(cookie for anyone who gets the topic title - it ain't hard people)

Yeah. I'm posting on the Pit for life advice. I must have hit an all time low :P
To be fair, it has nothing to do with a girl, although there is a girl in the story

So, I've been playing guitar since May last year and I would say I'm pretty good, although I still have some trouble with learning and imitating rhythms from my teacher - ones in songs I know are fine
I've started a sort of band, although we can't find a drummer. I really want to like, take this to the next level and make a career out of guitar. Of course, I'm 15 atm, but what do you think my next steps should be? Do you think it's not even worth it?

Btw, I wouldn't even think about abandoning uni, high school etc. for this until I was sucessful :P

At this point, just figure out what your style is. I don't mean your genre, I mean figure out who YOU are with the guitar. You can't sound like anybody else, if you do you have nothing to give. So just practice a lot, and concentrate on finding out how you express yourself with the guitar. Don't look at anyone else's playing, don't look at whats currently 'in,' and don't be afraid if your riffs sound different. Right now all thats important is that you develop what you have to give to music as a musician, as opposed to what you can take from music as a means to your own ends.

For God's sake just friggin be yourself. So many musicians/bands seem to be just incapable of that.
We're only strays.
erm, i duno, and topic title, Guns n' Roses Sweet Child of Mine?

EDIT damn you Fassa Albrecht
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
The title is from Sweet Child O' Mine.

If you're having trouble learning rhythms then don't you think that something is wrong there? I mean, music is about rhythms and you might want to consider whether you're good ENOUGH to be in a band.

He knows, he's in three bands.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
At this point, just figure out what your style is. I don't mean your genre, I mean figure out who YOU are with the guitar. You can't sound like anybody else, if you do you have nothing to give. So just practice a lot, and concentrate on finding out how you express yourself with the guitar. Don't look at anyone else's playing, don't look at whats currently 'in,' and don't be afraid if your riffs sound different. Right now all thats important is that you develop what you have to give to music as a musician, as opposed to what you can take from music as a means to your own ends.

For God's sake just friggin be yourself. So many musicians/bands seem to be just incapable of that.

Yeah, and there's no point in going totally wacko, cause all the other musicians have to play with you.

Seriously, if the TP can't even IMITATE rhythms then they're probably not good enough. My two cents anyway.
Being only 15 and with only one year of playing under your belt, the idea of starting a real career is, and I only use this word because I can't think of a better one to describe this, ridiculous.
I don't want to be mean, but you need clearly more experience.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Listen to Fassa.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 2, 2008,
Quote by aetherspear
He knows, he's in three bands.

My point was that I have excellent rhythm and I know how necessary it is in bands.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yeah, and there's no point in going totally wacko, cause all the other musicians have to play with you.

Seriously, if the TP can't even IMITATE rhythms then they're probably not good enough. My two cents anyway.

You don't have to go wacko to be yourself. Thats a problem people to seem to have with it, they seem to think that in order to be yourself or be different, you have to try and be all weird or try to be different just for the sake of being different, and IMO thats even worse than imitating others. You're born different and if you just make it a point to not copy other music, and just express yourself whole heartedly, you're on the right track. Its harder to see that when you're still in your teens because that period in life is one big identity crisis.

Being yourself does not take effort, it just takes the willingness to recognize that you're already different than everyone else by default, and to use that to write music that is an expression of who you are. Otherwise you're just a waste, you're turning the wheels of progress backwards.
We're only strays.
Quote by maggot9779
I'm with Fassa, work on your rhythm before taking the leap. You can only benefit in the long run.

One way you could help yourself is to get a metronome and work with that on songs you know really well. That way you have a familliar structure to work on and you will help yourself in the long run.
Cant be bothered to quote everyone, so I'll take it in order:

*facepalm* I do that out loud unconsciously, never realised I actually typed "like" randomly. Surely the drummer's the most important part of the band :S

I lied, Fassa - there is no cookie Sorry dude, have a *cyber-five* When I said I have trouble imitating rhythms, it's something I'm constantly working on with my teacher, and I can hold simple ones.

Hmm, well I know where my inspirations are, but I Can't imitate their style of playing anyway, so not worth trying, because I totally agree with you :P

There's a notice in my school. I can do no more I'm also being impatient, the thing's not been there that long

And I think that thing should be in one of those crappy demotivational pictures:

HE KNOWS

he's in three bands :P

Argh, the posts doubled while I was replying

Well, I was misunderstood - I can imitate rhythms, but sometimes it takes me a while to get there.

And yeah, I can see that my age casts a shadow over the whole ambition thing, I'm sort of having a teenage crisis here - I'm caught between having ambitions and career plans, and having those childlike dreams.

I do have a metronome, but I really don't get how to use it I realise the more I talk, the more noobish I seem, but it just starts to annoy me, and I always feel I'm doing it wrong :S
Last edited by gabcd86 at Jun 2, 2008,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Being yourself does not take effort, it just takes the willingness to recognize that you're already different than everyone else by default, and to use that to write music that is an expression of who you are. Otherwise you're just a waste, you're turning the wheels of progress backwards.

Man, that's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by ledhead67
Dammit, satyphan, you just shat over all my hopes and dreams.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
You don't have to go wacko to be yourself. Thats a problem people to seem to have with it, they seem to think that in order to be yourself or be different, you have to try and be all weird or try to be different just for the sake of being different, and IMO thats even worse than imitating others. You're born different and if you just make it a point to not copy other music, and just express yourself whole heartedly, you're on the right track. Its harder to see that when you're still in your teens because that period in life is one big identity crisis.

I know, partially because I had the same problem of trying to be like the other bassists around me or the famous bassists I admire. Once I stopped myself and thought about what sort of bassist I was, my playing improved and I became more confident.
Quote by TheQuailman
Being only 15 and with only one year of playing under your belt, the idea of starting a real career is, and I only use this word because I can't think of a better one to describe this, ridiculous.
I don't want to be mean, but you need clearly more experience.

Good Luck.

TS this is complete bull****. Gaining experience is absolutely necessary, but you have to start somewhere, don't you? Getting that experience is something every musical great had to do, but I can guarantee you that they were once 15, and they all struggled in places of musical development.
We're only strays.
15 years old is really young to decide that you want a carreer in guitar....
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
TS this is complete bull****. Gaining experience is absolutely necessary, but you have to start somewhere, don't you? Getting that experience is something every musical great had to do, but I can guarantee you that they were once 15, and they all struggled in places of musical development.

Yeah, and you still have to have a certain level of skill before you do decide to take the leap of joining a band.
You forget, being in a band ISN'T just about playing. It's about playing a good strong melody alongside a powerful and solid rhythm of the bassist and drummer, and then making sure it meshes together.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Hmm, you have a point, but so does he. Well, the fact is, I was never talking about running away from home and school, stopping practice and jumping onto the stage at Wembley. I will continue to practice forever, I just wanted some of the Pit's input - and I was surprised - the replies weren't all nice (cruel to be kind, thanks, i do appreciate it), but not one retarded meme - yet...
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

What do you think? That he's going to become a rock star once he forms a band? At fifteen, after one year of playing?

Sure, he SHOULD form a band, it will give him an opportunity to learn a lot about writing and will keep him motivated. He will benefit from it, sure.

But telling him he can start a career that is aimed at more than some fun just now? Please tell me you don't really mean that.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

He can probably get good enough to be in a band but i don't know about making a career out of music.
Quote by TheQuailman
What do you think? That he's going to become a rock star once he forms a band? At fifteen, after one year of playing?

Sure, he SHOULD form a band, it will give him an opportunity to learn a lot about writing and will keep him motivated. He will benefit from it, sure.

But telling him he can start a career that is aimed at more than some fun just now? Please tell me you don't really mean that.

This. So far my music writing has consisted in writing lyrics on my schoolbooks and then trying to crowbar them to a melody at home. I want to get better at writing songs properly, especially with a band. And as Fassa said, it's a great way to get experience at playing in time and all, which is what I need.
Quote by gabcd86
Hmm, you have a point, but so does he. Well, the fact is, I was never talking about running away from home and school, stopping practice and jumping onto the stage at Wembley. I will continue to practice forever, I just wanted some of the Pit's input - and I was surprised - the replies weren't all nice (cruel to be kind, thanks, i do appreciate it), but not one retarded meme - yet...

What you have to understand is that making it into the 'big time' isn't just a case of 'learn this, this and that' and then playing it on stage. The grand majority of people who want a career in music won't reach that position and even when you do so, it's a difficult thing to make a 'career' from.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
What you have to understand is that making it into the 'big time' isn't just a case of 'learn this, this and that' and then playing it on stage. The grand majority of people who want a career in music won't reach that position and even when you do so, it's a difficult thing to make a 'career' from.

Yeah, it's the terrible thing about reading rockstar autobiographies
But, I'm not sure I entirely get your post. I know there is more to it than just memorising some licks and solos, of course.