Last year i bought myself a (second hand) '84 Jazz Bass Special (Jazz & P Bass PUPs).
Its this awful greeny/pukey sort of colour, but i didnt buy it for the look, i bought it 'cause it was cheap as and these things sound beautiful if theyre played properly...

Anyway, I'm thinking of respraying it to just a standard white, BUT should i get this done proffesionally or what?

And, the original Fender pickups are still in the bass but because theyre like 24 years old theyve gone all rusty and the screws are rusty, the dude in the music shop said it's probably not worth trying to get them out because the screws will just bust if you try to get them out... should i just say **** it and take the pickups out and replace them?

I dont really want to buy a new bass
I don't know much about electronics, so I'll leave that for some of the more experienced ones out there.
RE the paintjob, unless you know your way around painting and finsishing a guitar, or similar, I probably wouldn't advise it.http://www.simscustom.com/html/sprayshop.htm I know this place does custom finishes I've heard they're good but I dont know about the price.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Any reason you can't just mask off the pickups?(You'd have to do the sides as well)
I wanna replace the pickups as well, because theyre dated.
Obv. it would be common sense to remove the pickups before i sprayed it...
It's just, is it worth risking taking the pickups out?
As long as you're careful, you'll have no trouble with removing the pickups. Don't chuck em around, as you can break the wire inside.

And yes, take them out. Don't leave them in for a paint job. If you're intending on doing it yourself, you'll have to sand it down to the filler Fender use on their woods.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Of course - i forgot about the sanding.

How much are the pickups worth - considering they're in such a bad state?
How are they in a bad state? I doubt they'd be worth anything much without the bass, and as I think that's already been refinished, then not much. People would want to buy it as "stock", so messing around with it will diminish it's value considerably.

You wouldn't get much for them really.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
How are they in a bad state? I doubt they'd be worth anything much without the bass, and as I think that's already been refinished, then not much. People would want to buy it as "stock", so messing around with it will diminish it's value considerably.

You wouldn't get much for them really.

I thought since they were so rusted you could break them trying to take them out of the guitar - implied they're pretty gone. (n.b. although the previous sentence sounds dead sarcastic and smart arse, It's not a dig at you -that literally was my thought process, I just couldn't think of any other way to put it.)
With referance to keeping it stock: If it was me i'd sell it and get a newer model of the same bass, i'm assuming cos it's older it'll be worth more than a newer model of course, which might not be the case, like you said especially if it's been refinished.
an '84 Jazz Bass Special in excellent condition is worth about $500. there is not a huge collector market for P/J Fenders. although the surf green is a popular color for collectors.
Quote by jimRH7
I thought since they were so rusted you could break them trying to take them out of the guitar - implied they're pretty gone. (n.b. although the previous sentence sounds dead sarcastic and smart arse, It's not a dig at you -that literally was my thought process, I just couldn't think of any other way to put it.)
With referance to keeping it stock: If it was me i'd sell it and get a newer model of the same bass, i'm assuming cos it's older it'll be worth more than a newer model of course, which might not be the case, like you said especially if it's been refinished.

By all means, take the pickups out. I would just recommend keeping them, just in case. They won't be worth much to sell as they are on their own, so what's the point?

Shove in some nice pickups, refinish and that thing will play like a beauty!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I'd have to say remove the pups, they're too old, but I'd go professional for that, if they mess up, its not on your shoulders.

As far as the paint, you COULD do it yourself or do it professionally, but were is the fun in that?
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Quote by Gmp211
I'd have to say remove the pups, they're too old, but I'd go professional for that, if they mess up, its not on your shoulders.

As far as the paint, you COULD do it yourself or do it professionally, but were is the fun in that?

Removing pickups = Unscrew, unsolder.

Done. Why pay for someone else to do it?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Removing pickups = Unscrew, unsolder.

Done. Why pay for someone else to do it?

hmm, What like are the rest of the electronics? Cos if you are replacing them as well you could take them all out in a oner and put them in a box somewhere...
Quote by jimRH7
hmm, What like are the rest of the electronics? Cos if you are replacing them as well you could take them all out in a oner and put them in a box somewhere...

An active EQ would really compliment the tonal abilities of the P and J pickups.

Of course, if you want a passive sound, stick with the passives. I would recommend CTS pots and Orange Sprague drop caps.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Johnny Trash
Last year i bought myself a (second hand) '84 Jazz Bass Special (Jazz & P Bass PUPs).
Its this awful greeny/pukey sort of colour, but i didnt buy it for the look, i bought it 'cause it was cheap as and these things sound beautiful if theyre played properly...

Anyway, I'm thinking of respraying it to just a standard white, BUT should i get this done proffesionally or what?

And, the original Fender pickups are still in the bass but because theyre like 24 years old theyve gone all rusty and the screws are rusty, the dude in the music shop said it's probably not worth trying to get them out because the screws will just bust if you try to get them out... should i just say **** it and take the pickups out and replace them?

I dont really want to buy a new bass

Thats why...If you snap the screw in there, your pretty much screwed.
PM me to join
Quote by Gmp211
Thats why...If you snap the screw in there, your pretty much screwed.

Not necessarily - there's lots of ways to deal with broken or damaged screws.

I'd replace the screws if they're really causing a problem. But I'm sure I'd keep the pups as they are. It's a nice sounding bass.
Ya i know 90% of the time its not really a problem, but if it is and they snap, your gunna have a heck of a time getting them out. I don't really know how bad it is though.

As far as sound, it depends, if you wanna sell it definatly keep the originals in. Otherwise its really up to you.
PM me to join
can we have some pics please, i wouldn't mind seeing this colour!
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Alright, some advice from me.

1) Remove the neck, the pickguard, the electronics and the pickups. Mask all cavities and all holes!!! (matches/toothpics for holes, masking tape for cavities)
2) use a chemical that removes paint from whatever surface (read the instructions!)
3) Scrape off the softened old paint, let dry
4) Sand the remains like crazy
5) use thinner or whatever to remove dust and other dirt to ensure proper adhesion
6) you can use some primer, but I wouldnt, for some say it messes with the tone. Spray couple of layers of preferred colour.
7) once dry, use polish and a buffing wheel to polish away the imperfections.
8) remove the masking tape and plugs, reassemble.

STAGE II

1) buy proper PU's
2) OPTIONAL - buy an active kit if you feel like it.
3) buy HIGHEST quality potentiometers you can find, as well as a top-notch jack. Trust me, having a loose jack is crap when you go thru so much work.
4) make a layout on your desk before putting everything in.
5) IMPORTANT STEP: buy special shielding foil and compound!!! Shield all electronics' cavities, as well as the inside of the pickguard.
6) I would also replace stock poorly insulated wires with copper, or better yet - top quality silver core wires. Have these on my bass as well as some badass shielding.

All this is relatively easy, make sure you buy everything before doing anything, and read the instructions well. Read about painting, finishing, soldering etc. It's a relatively easy DIY task, so don't be scared.
Quote by stevo192
can we have some pics please, i wouldn't mind seeing this colour!

+1
PM me to join