I'm looking for a good delay pedal for a birthday present as I think it will add depth to my sound and spice up my leads. I was thinking the Boss DD-3 because it's less expensive than the DD-6 and I won't be using it all the time, but I have a few other Boss pedals and I kinda want some variety (I don't wanna look like a fanboy), so I looked at the guitarist of one of my favorite local bands and he has a Line 6 Echo Park.

Main questions: what are the big differences between the two? How much tone does each pedal suck out of my signal? Which would be best for me? On my pedalboard, I don't have enough space (gonna build a new one soon) or cords to link the pedals together, but the pedals I own are: Blues Driver, Big Muff, DS-1, a Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 (old distortion) and a Crybaby. I switch 'em around depending on what kinda music I'm playing that day and what mood I'm in. I play rock music (anything from the late 60s to present, really... sorry to be so vague )

Any other not so expensive suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Boss DD3.

Line 6 pedals are junk. overpriced junk too. which is worse than just being junk.
alright thanks

anyone think it would be worth it to spend a little extra cash and get the DD-6?
The DD-3 gets better reviews on HarmonyCentral than the DD-6. The DD-6 has a much bigger delay time though.

BTW, I just bought the DD-3 today, it's great.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jun 3, 2008,
the echo park is much better than the dd-3. i mean, the dd-3 is ok, but its just a basic digital delay. there isn't much exciting about it. whereas the echo park is basically awesome.

ignore people who call line 6 pedals junk. they are wrong.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I own a DD-6 Pedal and it is great. It has a lot of settings and a lot of delay timings. I use it in two ways. On one hand, you have the normal delay settings which helps you get a richer sound. For this I use rather short or medium delays. The other way I use it is to make noise. You play a diminished chord or something dissonant and then move the Feedback to get space noises. Another cool setting is turning the mode knob to reverse and turning all your feedback to 0 and your E. Level full. This gives you a cool sound that plays the notes you play inverted (A Hendrix effect).

I don't know very much about the Echo Park, but the DD-6 is really worth it the extra money, and if you don't want the tone of your guitar to be sucked, try not to use 4 distortion pedals at the same time.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I second the Echo Park. Ignore people that say don't buy it because it's Line6 - they probably have never tried it.

I love mine, and it's got a great amount of different options on it too, and I don't notice it sucking any tone at all. If you can get your hands on one in a music store, give it a spin next to the DD-3/6 and see which you like better though, but I've spent hours with mine just experimenting and messing about. And the Analog Swell setting is
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Neither. I'd get a Marshall Echohead delay instead. 7 modes, metal casing, true bypass.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Neither. I'd get a Marshall Echohead delay instead. 7 modes, metal casing, true bypass.

marshall pedals blow. additionally, true bypass isn't a good thing for delays.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
additionally, true bypass isn't a good thing for delays.

Care to explain?

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yeah, i don't get that either? How can it be a bad thing, having the same signal when it's off than when it isn't there...

Please explain?
Adam
the people who don't like the Line 6 pedals probably haven't tried them. The Echo park is great, its very versatile and well made. the DD-3 is nice, but not as flexible at all. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't know if the DD-3 has tap tempo.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by mp3stalin
Boss DD3.

Line 6 pedals are junk. overpriced junk too. which is worse than just being junk.

This guy is full of **** the line 6 offers more and in IMO sounds bettor the boss sounds like what it says it sounds like digital, the line 6 sounds a bit more organic, and offers alot more i think its bettor than the DD6.
Boss is so overated i think thats why people buy there delays
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Jun 3, 2008,
I traded my DD-6 for the DD-3 because the DD-6 sounds too digital for my liking.

The DD-3 also sounds more realistic and not so abrupt with the delay sounds; the transitions from each delay sound better and more natural.
They're really pretty different. The main difference is that the Echo Park has tap tempo, however, it's supposedly so fragile it's not even worth it. The Park will over some additional modulation options, but if you're just looking for a basic delay, the DD-3 is your best choice. Far sturdier build quality and excellent repeats.

I got a Line 6 DL4 not long ago and expected it to boot the DD-3 from my board, but before long I was craving the DD-3 again. It's a very simple pedal but it's fantastic at what it does.
I'd get the DD3 over the DD6.. I really am not going to be getting much more then a second of delay at the most.. which is probably the only big thing the DD6 offers is more delay time..

but to be honest, I've heard many people say Line 6 blows.. but yet they were shocked out how they actually have a good delay pedal.. so in other words I've heard the Echo Park is a good pedal.. better then the Boss.. might help if you tried them both out.. I think the Line 6 has a bigger variety of delay types and such too.. I heard it might be a bit noisy though.. not sure.. can't remember :X

but anyways.. if you want your tone to be better.. try not using 4 distortion boxes...
I'd have to say go for the Echo Park.

It offers more versatility in your delay choices.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
MXR Carbon Copy? The DD-3 sounds good, but try for the DD-2 if you're picky about your tone. Older japanese Boss pedals sound a lot better.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
MXR Carbon Copy? The DD-3 sounds good, but try for the DD-2 if you're picky about your tone. Older japanese Boss pedals sound a lot better.

I think the DD-2 sounds more analog than the DD-3 . . . the threadstarter could be into that, though.

About the Carbon Copy, I recently heard a blind demo comparing it to a Deluxe Memory Man and none of us could tell the difference. I think the repeats on the CC tend to be pretty dark, so threadstarter, if you want that pristine sound, definitely stay in the digital realm. Also, analog tends to be much shorter delay times. There are videos all over YouTube, so look into a few.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
marshall pedals blow. additionally, true bypass isn't a good thing for delays.
No they don't, and yes it is.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
wow, thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I'm thinking that since the DD-7 is out, I'll get a DD-6 because it's cheaper and I would like a tap tempo feature on a sturdy, reliable product. I also would like the choice to do all the crazy backwards delay type sounds that are possible with the DD-6 if I start to feel a little more experimental.

and I don't have all of my distortion pedals plugged in at the same time, only two and the wah!

how reliable/sturdy/strong is the Echo Park?
I would say get the DD-7 since it has an extra input jack for a Boss FS-5U footswitch for taptempo. in the dd-6 you need to hold the switch for 1 or 2 seconds first before you can tap in the delaytime you want.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
I would say get the DD-7 since it has an extra input jack for a Boss FS-5U footswitch for taptempo. in the dd-6 you need to hold the switch for 1 or 2 seconds first before you can tap in the delaytime you want.

This is a good idea, or at least consider a used DD-5. It won't have all the options but the ease of the tap tempo (at least to me) makes a big difference. The DD-5 and -7 both have a "tap tempo out" so you can use the external FS-5U or whatever it's called to tap in the time. Like helsinki said, you have to hold down the switch for 2 seconds on the -6 to tap in the tempo, which is kind of awkward on stage.

The reliability/sturdiness of the Echo Park is, sadly, not that great. I was looking into one myself but was put off by countless reports of the switch being made of thin plastic and breaking easily.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Care to explain?

true bypass is bad imo because (and i'm sure its not unworkable to get around it, but as i'm aware no delays if any do) it tends to remove the potential for trailing delays. trailing delays are nice.

furthermore, as we all know, its good to have a buffered pedal at the end of your chain. since delay is very often the last part of your chain, its a prime spot for a buffered pedal.

i mean, personally, i'd rather have a buffered pedal than a true bypass one anyway, or at the very least i am ambivalent. any influence on tone tends to be incredibly slight, and for that tiny loss you tend to lose problems like that annoying pop sound.

i guess on the whole i object to the attitude on UG to non-TB. like, really, true bypass isn't all that. it has downsides as well as upsides, and personally, i don't think the upsides tend to be worth it. i use mostly buffered pedals. the difference in my tone between having them in my path and not is very hard to notice, and even if it was its something that can be resolved with eq to an extent. furthermore, its something you definitely are not going to notice when you are playing with a band. it just won't happen.
Quote by strat335
how reliable/sturdy/strong is the Echo Park?

It's not.

I've had one for a year. In that time I've had to have it replaced with a brand new one 3 times now. It's just garbage. I even went so far as to wrap it in bubble wrap to and from gigs, and it still keeps breaking. To be honest as soon as the warranty is up and I can no longer get it replaced for free I'm ditching it for something different.

To be honest the sounds aren't even that great. It's like instead of giving you quality echo/delay they give you tons of different (yet similar) sounds to play which, none all that good.

I wish my DD-2 still worked. If you can find one of those used anywhere, grab it. The DD-3 is pretty good, but quite digital for my taste.
just get a vox time machine
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.