Due to the fact that my parents won't let me buy a new bass for atleast a year, I am going to start upgrading my bass because my band is starting to take off and my equipment isn't the best. I have a standard made in Mexico Fender Jazz and I play progressive metal. Can anyone recommend me some pickups, bridges, or anything else that would give me a good improvement based on the style of music I play.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Badass Bridge if you don't already have one.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I think a set of ESP Active J pickups would be good. A BadA** II bridge would be an improvement, some good (Kluson) Tuners if you thikn thats necessary, and maybe and active EQ if you can find one for a J bass.
I would recommend a Badass II bass bridge and a set of either DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups for you bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Frankly, I'd leave your Bass as is. But if you wanna upgrade it, DiMarzio has the widest range (imho) of tones for bass pickups. They have from High tones (that pickup those thumb tapped notes easier) and low tones (that really push that crunch).
search bar? I'm pretty i have a recent topic about this exact thing...

and i second the BAII
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by qotsa1998
I think a set of ESP Active J pickups would be good. A BadA** II bridge would be an improvement, some good (Kluson) Tuners if you thikn thats necessary, and maybe and active EQ if you can find one for a J bass.

wow you woud totally trip nuts if you ever played my jazz bass ive had all of that done to mine!

for prog metal i would definently recomend EMG pickups. i put a Badass bridge in my jazz bass and it opened up a whole new world for me as a bassist. it allowed my bass to finally be set up right. action/intonation is dead on and supper low it lets me play soo much faster then i was before!

active EQ will allow you to get a hotter output and different tones i subjest getting the pickups first and then playing around on various 2band/3 band EQs to see wich one you like. there is also the 4band EQ option wich is by far the best sweetest sounding bass you can get. (go play a EB bongo bass and behold) anything more than 2band Eq and you would have to install a new input jack on the bottom of the bass.wich really is not that big of a deal and i think it loks more atractive.

i use the EMG EXB bass circuit it dramaticly boost output, Bass, and Trebble, while slowly cutting mids to "the sweet spot" and then all the way down is flat. i can tell you i HATE the flat sound and i love the full saturated sound. sometimes i consider putting in a 3 or 4 band EQ but then i would loose the truly unique sound that my jazz bass has. it would still be unique but you cant get the same sound as the EXB anywhere else. i might just mod a totally different jazz bass and put 4 band EQ on that later because i simply cannot part ways with the EXB!

also installing new tuneers will help alot. i put schallers on mine and i really love them. not as well as the grovers on my ESP but the schallers work really well and i have never had any problems with them. most of the MIM fenders arent chromed very well so tuners will also add some flair

you can also put in a good nut. that will ensure greater stability. im thinking about changeing the stock plastic nut for something made of bone.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
wow you woud totally trip nuts if you ever played my jazz bass ive had all of that done to mine!

for prog metal i would definently recomend EMG pickups. i put a Badass bridge in my jazz bass and it opened up a whole new world for me as a bassist. it allowed my bass to finally be set up right. action/intonation is dead on and supper low it lets me play soo much faster then i was before!

active EQ will allow you to get a hotter output and different tones i subjest getting the pickups first and then playing around on various 2band/3 band EQs to see wich one you like. there is also the 4band EQ option wich is by far the best sweetest sounding bass you can get. (go play a EB bongo bass and behold) anything more than 2band Eq and you would have to install a new input jack on the bottom of the bass.wich really is not that big of a deal and i think it loks more atractive.

i use the EMG EXB bass circuit it dramaticly boost output, Bass, and Trebble, while slowly cutting mids to "the sweet spot" and then all the way down is flat. i can tell you i HATE the flat sound and i love the full saturated sound. sometimes i consider putting in a 3 or 4 band EQ but then i would loose the truly unique sound that my jazz bass has. it would still be unique but you cant get the same sound as the EXB anywhere else. i might just mod a totally different jazz bass and put 4 band EQ on that later because i simply cannot part ways with the EXB!

also installing new tuneers will help alot. i put schallers on mine and i really love them. not as well as the grovers on my ESP but the schallers work really well and i have never had any problems with them. most of the MIM fenders arent chromed very well so tuners will also add some flair

you can also put in a good nut. that will ensure greater stability. im thinking about changeing the stock plastic nut for something made of bone.

Thanks for that long response.

I don't know a lot about customizing and such. So what would it take to get an active EQ? Would it take a lot of time and money to make it active...? And as for the pickups... Would it give me a better tone without losing that jazz bass tone?
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
BadAss II bridge is an absolute must. Adjusting them is a breeze. It was the first thing I did on my MIM jazz, and as mentioned before, you can buy pre-grooved ones.

I went with some DiMarzio passive pickups and have been very pleased. It keeps the same tone, but gives a much bigger, fuller sound, and were less than $100 for the pair. I put in some decent pots and a new jack, and removed the tone knob (I rarely, if ever, use the treble rolloff at all, and getting different tones by adjusting the individual levels of the pickups is easy.) Also used copper tape to shield all the electronics internally, and soldered and shrink wrapped all wires.

Last thing for me to do is clean the neck. The BadAss bridge is really the most crucial thing, as the MIM bridge is crap. It lets me play with high action during practice, and adjust quickly, easily, and accurately to low action for performance.
I try to live my life by the old Latin proverb...

“It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend, one's present or future thirst, the excellence of the wine, or any other reason.
Surprised no one has asked this yet...

What kind of amp do you have?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
^^ i was thinking the same thing actualy just diddint ask.

if you know anything about soldering then you can change pickups. EMG goes the extra mile and makes pickup instalation alot easyer ther is only one wire to be soldered the rest uses 3-pin power conectors.

EMG J pickups still have that jazz characteristic in the sound. it is much fuller and clear.

as for the active EQ it requires more soldering than pickup instalation but the instructions are very clear and it is just simple soldering one wire to another. all of the wires are color coded.

last time i priced it was just under $100 for 2 band, $120-$150 for 3 band and $140-$200 for 4 band. if you get the 3 band or 4 band you will have to pay for a luthier to carve you input jack. expect at least $50 for that. (probably more)

also if you decide to get the badass bass 2 i woulde go for the extra money and get the pre-slotted model. i got the non slotted model and it cost close to $100 for the bridge then i payed $70 to get it installed. wich realy really sucked! the person who installed it said he would have installed it for about $20 if i bought the bridge from him!

i am thinking about posting a thread to show you my jazz bass if anyone is interested let me know because im not going to put the effort into writeing that much about it if nobody is going to read it.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Get a gotoh bridge, half the price of the Badass 2 and just as good.
I have a fender bass man 150 combo but its currently in repairs because it blew up in the studio . So EMG J pickups and BadAssBridge II seem to be the consensus? And i really have no clue about soldering :O.
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Well, i'd have a pro do the electronics then. The BAII is a direct replacement, so if you can turn a screwdriver, you can do that.
^^you still ahve to slot grooves for the strings unless you pay the extra $$$$ for the model that comes pre sloted ( i highly recomend after getting hosed on instalation of my BAII)
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by srvflood
Badass Bridge if you don't already have one.

+1

The bridge on my MIM Jazz was just HORRIBLE!
Not to mention the BAII sounds awesome.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I agree, go for a new bridge in some fashion, For me The bridge is possibly the most important part of a bass - I would say it has more effect on the tone than pickups. However, I've never replaced either on my bass, (for a cheap Pbass copy, it does have an amazing bridge.)
i can't say that the BA2 effected my tone that much if at all after i swapped. it did however effect playability in the most positive way.
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
i can't say that the BA2 effected my tone that much if at all after i swapped. it did however effect playability in the most positive way.

I dont think it affects your tone that much either, maybe more sustain. It's way better for adjusting, intonating and staying intonated. I found a pre-grooved BAII on ebizzle for $70.