So I was cleaning stumbled across the dummy book that I bought when I first started guitar. I remember soon throwing it away after I learned the basic chords and stumbled this site when searching for tabs. I basicly was like lulz dummy books r 4 nubs ug rules. Seeing it now again it's quite a good instruction book I think..

It starts with developing your chord progression techniques, then playing in position, picking, hammering etc etc. The order it handles thing perfectly makes sence and it's quite complete IMO. I mean sure it's nothing in depth, but it teaches you all the basics. I kinda regret it not using when I was still learning(still always am btw) and it could've saved tons of times looking for guides and learning things in wrong order.

One minus tho, it's trying to teach you playing guitar without theory, but handles things like barre chords and scales which wouldn't make sense unless you know some theory

It's a underrated book imo just because of the dummy label. I'm saying it's the best, but I think beginners should consider this book as a starting point.
dummy books kick ass! i bought one for recording.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Yeah I like those books.

I have a book similar to the Dummy for guitar books, but it's by Maran - kinda like an illustrated version of the guitar for dummies book.
I have the Rock Guitar one. It helped me out a bit, and it's nice because they do basic overviews of all genres, including metal.
Quote by SnoDog
Yeah I like those books.

I have a book similar to the Dummy for guitar books, but it's by Maran - kinda like an illustrated version of the guitar for dummies book.

I checked that one out at my college's library. That book kicks so much ass!

Like holyzombiejesus said, the Idiot's book sucks, hard.
So, it's better to be a dummy than an idiot? Alright!! Nice!!

I'm going to go buy that book, haha, and maybe a couple books on theory.
Theirs a Music Theory for Dummy`s book, I saw it at the Ibanez Guitar Centre.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
The Guitar for Dummies book is quite good. As the TS states, it actively avoids any theory and mostly focuses on getting you playing advanced methods faster. Lots of different styles covered but no depth. I think it's a great book to start off on but it needs to be a companion to a more theory oriented book.

It should be noted that the "Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" is rated fairly high around here. Just avoid the Idiot Guitar one.
Quote by OsokDracul
I checked that one out at my college's library. That book kicks so much ass!

Like holyzombiejesus said, the Idiot's book sucks, hard.

the first chapter basically tells you to grow all your fingernails out and the rest of the book is focused on classical. you only learn a scale about 2/3 of the way through haha