Page 1 of 3
I find that certain melodic-death metal bands such as Scar Symmetry and In Flames have a futuristic modern atmosphere as opposed to folky bands such as Agalloch and Vintersorg have an in-the-woods vibe about them.

Personally, the futuristic modern atmosphere turns me off to certain bands, no matter how good the music is.

What type of atmosphere do you prefer?
What various bands create that atmosphere?

Your thoughts?
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
The atmosphere Akercocke creates appeals to me very much

I can't really describe in any other way than pure evil.

It can be beautiful, but will still feel very menacing. It's pure musical genius
The power it has is unrivaled, even by the pounding anger of a lot of DM.

Akercocke just does it right to me.
It really depends on my mood. When I'm angry the agressive atmopshere of a band like Death or perhaps Morbid Angel suits me. Although, for the most part, I love the atmostphere most power metal creates. It's impossible, for me atleast, to become unhappy while listening to it. It just creates this epic and uplifting atmosphere. Bands like Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, etc.

Edit: I also love the clusterfvck of atmospheres/feelings that Opeth incorporates into their music. Especially the eerie/evil feeling I get from Watershed.
Blind Guardian definitely creates a nice epic atmosphere. I listen to them to make myself excited and I can't help but sing the lyrics.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Lookit 'at! A smart convarrsayshun!

Lately, I've been kicking a lot of stoner metal around, most of it having a real old-school vibe. Obviously drug-addled, but it adds a certain depth to an otherwise compeletely shallow genre.
It always sounds very organic, which is what I generally prefer, as opposed to alcohol induced rages of most thrash, or the general epicness of melodeath and prog. That's not to say I don't like these, of course, but it's just that stuff like Goatsnake's laid-back groove hits much closer to home for me.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
When it comes to atmosphere, I like the whole nature/pagan theme, which is what inevitably draws me to folk/black bands.

And if it can remind me of winter, it's a win in my book. Even though that theme is somewhat overplayed in BM, if done right, it can sound amazing.
I feel the same way about that "futuristic modern" atmosphere you're referring to. However, if it's about Dark Tranquillity's sound, then I'd disagree, because I quite enjoy their new sound. That's not to say I don't like the in-the-woods sort of sound more ala Agalloch, Riverside, Pain of Salvation though.

There are a lot of bands who think throwing in some synth in the background will make their songs more atmospheric, but it just doesn't work, especially the really digital synths.

All in all, my favourite bands at the moment (some of which I listed above) have very natural/organic atmosphere (even though Riverside has a very modern synth sound still). That's a reason why I really don't like straight up death metal/thrash metal. Even though those genres aren't about atmosphere, they're stale. Take a look at thrash revival now (hell even look at Trivium's Crusade), and look at Coma of Souls. Coma of Souls had an identifiable vibe (or anatmosphere). The Crusade just had a bunch of riffs. Who cares about that?
I've found Jesus
I like death metal that sounds like you're rotting. Like Obituary and Infester
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Folk metal is the one genre that surpasses all others when it comes to atmosphere. I love the rustic, natural feel that I get, when it's done right.

I'll just use Bathory's Nordland as an example. The instruments, his voice, the production and the sound effect of nature all appeal to me.

With certain bands, I'm listening to good music, but with good folk metal, it almost feels like I'm in a simpler time and space. Just me and the mountains that make up the view from my bedroom window.

It's nice to lose yourself in that world, and get away from the school, business, violence on the news etc.

I'll take about a different genre in each post I make here.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by |Marco|
It really depends on my mood. When I'm angry the agressive atmopshere of a band like Death or perhaps Morbid Angel suits me. Although, for the most part, I love the atmostphere most power metal creates. It's impossible, for me atleast, to become unhappy while listening to it. It just creates this epic and uplifting atmosphere. Bands like Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, etc.

This is why Power Metal doesn't appeal to me

The uplifting atmosphere isn't really my thing..
I can definitely see why it would appeal to some people, and I'm not racking down on it at all, but the general feel isn't my thing. I want intriguing stuff that pulls in your emotions. This is perhaps why I am very fond of death metal, and was a huge DM elitist for a time.. The angry atmosphere is simply just so present, and I could feel it.
Quote by Broadsword
When it comes to atmosphere, I like the whole nature/pagan theme, which is what inevitably draws me to folk/black bands.

And if it can remind me of winter, it's a win in my book. Even though that theme is somewhat overplayed in BM, if done right, it can sound amazing.

I can't help but agree. The whole nature/viking feeling I get from listening to (early)Elvenking, Tyr, Ensiferum, Turisas,etc. is pretty amazing.

Also, for teh lulz, I like Alestorm's drunk sing-a-long atmosphere when I've had a drink or two

Edit: ^ That's the beauty of metal. It's enourmous diversities appeal to each metalhead in a different way.
Quote by destroy_techno
This is why Power Metal doesn't appeal to me

The uplifting atmosphere isn't really my thing..
I can definitely see why it would appeal to some people, and I'm not racking down on it at all, but the general feel isn't my thing. I want intriguing stuff that pulls in your emotions. This is perhaps why I am very fond of death metal, and was a huge DM elitist for a time.. The angry atmosphere is simply just so present, and I could feel it.

You're listening to the wrong power metal if its uplifting. Listen to something like Savage Grace - Master of Disguise or Anvil - Forged in Fire (the songs) - they have that sound of preparing for/entering battle and not in a gay way
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by Contraband
I feel the same way about that "futuristic modern" atmosphere you're referring to. However, if it's about Dark Tranquillity's sound, then I'd disagree, because I quite enjoy their new sound. That's not to say I don't like the in-the-woods sort of sound more ala Agalloch, Riverside, Pain of Salvation though.

There are a lot of bands who think throwing in some synth in the background will make their songs more atmospheric, but it just doesn't work, especially the really digital synths.

All in all, my favourite bands at the moment (some of which I listed above) have very natural/organic atmosphere (even though Riverside has a very modern synth sound still). That's a reason why I really don't like straight up death metal/thrash metal. Even though those genres aren't about atmosphere, they're stale. Take a look at thrash revival now (hell even look at Trivium's Crusade), and look at Coma of Souls. Coma of Souls had an identifiable vibe (or anatmosphere). The Crusade just had a bunch of riffs. Who cares about that?

I don't find DT to have the futuristic atmosphere I was talking about based on the slight amount of stuff I've heard

I also agree about the straight up death/thrash. The lack of any really definiable atmosphere just kind of bores me...

I don't mind death and thrash, but they don't measure up to more atmospheric bands to me.

I would be thrilled to find an atmospheric death metal band.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
To sum up new bands coming out today, I feel like most of them lack atmosphere. The ones that do have their own vibe and catch my attention. I can't think of any band that I like now that doesn't have some sort of identifiable atmosphere about their music. Yet, look at My Chemical Romance or Bullet for my Valentine. That's what separates sod music like that from real metal in my eyes.
I've found Jesus
Quote by MHDrunk
I like death metal that sounds like you're rotting. Like Obituary and Infester

Gorguts sound like they turned a sewer mainline into audio. I listen to it when I just want something sickening.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
I find that certain melodic-death metal bands such as Scar Symmetry and In Flames have a futuristic modern atmosphere as opposed to folky bands such as Agalloch and Vintersorg have an in-the-woods vibe about them.

Personally, the futuristic modern atmosphere turns me off to certain bands, no matter how good the music is.

What type of atmosphere do you prefer?
What various bands create that atmosphere?

Your thoughts?

Im not a fan of the modern atmosphere either. I find it kinda takes away from it, when it's metal at least. I find that I usualy enjoy it more when there is a more 'ancient' feel I guess. I feel like Im not wording it right, but w/e.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
I don't find DT to have the futuristic atmosphere I was talking about based on the slight amount of stuff I've heard

I also agree about the straight up death/thrash. The lack of any really definiable atmosphere just kind of bores me...

I don't mind death and thrash, but they don't measure up to more atmospheric bands to me.

Take a look at Septic Flesh
Quote by BringMeTheCalm

In all fairness, I actually mean that most death metal bands (especially the pioneers) do have an atmosphere that you can identify. Deicide to a much lesser extent, but they have their own thing stylistically.

Identifiable atmosphere: Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Nile, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse etc.

If you haven't already heard Augury, listen to them. It's practically death metal that feeds on atmosphere.
I've found Jesus
Someone said atmospheric death metal? Hypocrisy. Personally, I like their supposedly weak mid-period, and it sounds much more fresh than the nth In Flames clones.
My favorite atmosphere is more along the lines of the introspective, dark, melancholic types, stuff like Ikuinen Kaamos and the eerie acoustics of Opeth. I don't really know how to explain it, but I guess my favorite bands are the ones that make me sit there, and as I feel the musician's emotions pouring out of the speakers, I can't help but get into that brooding mindset and really just contemplate the world around me. Anything dark, moody, intense, intellectual...that whole kind of vibe.
Atmosphere: Infester, Imprecation

I will be searching these atmospheric death metal bands on Youtube later. Thanks, guys.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
I really like the vibe of the band Wolven Ancestry. It feels very cold and woodsy. Very Canadian.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by MHDrunk
You're listening to the wrong power metal if its uplifting. Listen to something like Savage Grace - Master of Disguise or Anvil - Forged in Fire (the songs) - they have that sound of preparing for/entering battle and not in a gay way

Themes like that is what typically creates a great epic/uplifting atmosphere. Maybe uplifting isn't quite the word I'm looking for, I can't really explain it exactly how I want.
Immolation is the most evil and satanic band I have ever heard. It sounds like nothing other than satan practicing with his mates in his garage for the next battle of the bands.
I think in terms of atmosphere I fall into two different spaces:

There's the one side who really likes the uber-modern production and that general kind of atmosphere it gives.

The other side likes the really old-school sounding Sabbath-ian classic metal sound with vintage gear that's just had it's gain shot through the roof.

I don't really like much in between; the whole BM grainy production thing really gets to me because I like to hear what I'm listening to rather than people who don't want to have themselves heard clearly for whatever reason and I don't generally get along with the whole folk-metal thing as it's just a bit too...folky I guess, folk music has never been something I really enjoy.

Quote by |Marco|
Themes like that is what typically creates a great epic/uplifting atmosphere. Maybe uplifting isn't quite the word I'm looking for, I can't really explain it exactly how I want.

I think you might be looking for something like "energizing" or something; not really happy all the time but something that gets you really pumped up one way or the other.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MHDrunk

Antonym to the bands you listed:

ManOWar!!!

When I listen to bands like Atheist, ITP & some Human-era Death, and some Martyr, it feels like a journey into the unknown, generally into the mind or possibly void of space but done so in a way where its not like journeying into space with a spaceship but rather finding a transition point to other dimensions or parallel universes, or in the case of the mind, to discovering unknown aspects and powers held within. Its more of an inward exploration for some of those bands, both on oneself, and an exploration of the behaviors and actions of the human race. Thats the kind of atmosphere i get...

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

I just like atmosphere. A lot of records really lack an atmosphere at all; or they just have the atmosphere of a recording booth.

I'm game for futuristic, dark, colourful, woody, open, whatever. Sometimes it's really obvious; in doom like Agalalalllaoch and suchlike, Sometimes it's really subtle, most of Opeth's music has very little direct atmposphere, but creates a very strong atmospheric feeling. It's amazing how much it adds to the music, IMO. It's like reading between the lines, kinda.
I strongly dislike the "recording booth" atmosphere.

I also approve of stuff that sounds broding and builds in the brooding feeling.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by destroy_techno
The atmosphere Akercocke creates appeals to me very much

I can't really describe in any other way than pure evil.

It can be beautiful, but will still feel very menacing. It's pure musical genius
The power it has is unrivaled, even by the pounding anger of a lot of DM.

Akercocke just does it right to me.

this, exactly. Akercocke create the vibe of pure evil unlike any other.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
To add:

Keep of Kalessin is one of the few non raw/cold/grim BM bands I listen to, but the energetic battle-like atmospheric is incredibly appealing (going by their last two albums, I know nothing of their beginnings). They are pretty damn epic.

And then you have some progressive metal pieces, like the afore-mentioned Opeth and Ikuinen Kaamos. Edge of Sanity's Crimson I and II give off a futuristic atmosphere, especially the latter album; the key use is amazing, and I hate keys in metal, for the most part.

In doom metal, you of course have the crushing and sometimes brooding atmosphere: Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain, Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea, Evoken's Antithesis of Light, Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, etc. Post metal can be brought in here, as well. Isis' Oceanic and Panopticon come to mind.

And back to Folk metal: nothing is better than music that conjure up imagery of riding next to proud, fearless, bloodthirsty, and sweaty half-naked heathens (or completely naked, you Celts). Or, perhaps, imagery of snowcapped mountains, of vast, dark forests, all untouched by the hand of man.
Quote by dead-fish
Immolation is the most evil and satanic band I have ever heard. It sounds like nothing other than satan practicing with his mates in his garage for the next battle of the bands.

Dude have you only heard... like 5 death metal bands?

My favorite atmosphere is dark, melancholic, and at times spacey. This can take a variety of forms; the clean section of By Others Considered by In Mourning pulls it off quite well, as does the solo section from Deep Peace by Devin Townsend and pretty much all of Curse by Cult of Luna and Fate of Norns by Amon Amarth, despite those songs sounding very different. Riverside are very good at the spacey atmospheres, particularly on Loose Heart and The Curtain Falls; it was their use of atmosphere that made me like them in the first place and the primary reason why I love them so much now.

In general, though, atmosphere and texture is something that not enough bands focus on. They might come up with a cool riff or a catchy hook, but adding the proper texture can make said riff or hook so much more powerful, and by ignoring it they're missing out on a huge potential part of their sound. This applies to every genre out there; it's like these musicians don't even know what the concept of atmosphere is (many probably don't), and they could make their music so much more interesting if they would simply using those concepts.
Quote by Scourge441
My favorite atmosphere is dark, melancholic, and at times spacey. This can take a variety of forms; the clean section of By Others Considered by In Mourning pulls it off quite well

Agreed. I find the whole of Shrouded Divine to be, at times, almost dream-like. I really like how they pulled it off.
Lol at new death metal having no atmosphere.

My favorite atmosphere is that of Portal, it does what the name says; it makes you feel like your being sucked into a votex into some other dimension.
I like the robotic atmosphere that early Fear Factor captured, really machine like, cold structured, just get lost in it. Origin, Decrepit Birth and Mithras(sp),ect. have awesome out of world and otherworldly atmosphere.
Last edited by diminishedtobme at Jun 2, 2008,
the whole futuristic them throws me off a bit as well, unless its used with enough effect to give the band a unique sound, like cynic.

dissection have a unique atmosphere, unlike the grainy production of most black metal. it feels like being inside a thundercloud.
Page 1 of 3