So you guys in the UK have probably watched Derren Browns new channel 4 show 'Trick or Treat'. Well I was watching it with my friend the other week, and Derren was teaching this woman various escape techniques for 3 weeks.

Now, I've never questioned any of his work before, but this woman was tied up with gaffa tape and cable ties, put in a sack and thrown into a river and managed to escape within a reasonable time limit. Anyone who knows about cable ties knows they are a bitch to get off and she did it with no other materials to help her. Right...

My friend was convinced it was fake, but I'm still in two minds about it. So I just wondered what UG thinks.
It's real. Most of the stuff is made to look cleverer than it actually is though.

He's still got skillz.
I never trust things like that on television. Its all just camera trickery and cheating in my opinion.

Plus he's a dickhead.
Don't question Derren Brown... that's like questioning Chuck Norris's br00tal skills
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Derren Brown is the second Jesus.
I believe it, simply from everything else he's done. If it was some random, then okay, I'd be very skeptical.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by MoshMaster101
I never trust things like that on television. Its all just camera trickery and cheating in my opinion.

Plus he's a dickhead.

+1, specially that Criss Angel ****.

Copperfield on the other hand is a genius, but also a fraud.
"Derren Brown is a unique force in the world of illusion - he can seemingly predict and control human behaviour."

from his website.

no magician claims to have magic abilities.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He has said that he uses a mix of psychology, showmanship, sleight of hand, illusionetc etc for his shows. But he doesn't cheat because that would defeat the purpose of what he wants to do.

i've gotta go with delirium on this one, it's all real to an extent, the only time he bull****s you is when he explains how he does something.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
"Derren Brown is a unique force in the world of illusion - he can seemingly predict and control human behaviour."

from his website.

no magician claims to have magic abilities.

I haven't seen much of Derren Brown, but for exemple Criss Angel always admits he has no magical powers, but then he turns a 3 year old girl into an 18 year old girl. That's really dumb, it's either camera work or magic, but magic doesn't exist, so it's pretty obvious it's just effects. He can either learn better tricks or stfu.

Edit: Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5f8X2zjgxk

He's also a peado
Bad Criss
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He has said that he uses a mix of psychology, showmanship, sleight of hand, illusionetc etc for his shows. But he doesn't cheat because that would defeat the purpose of what he wants to do.

What? surley his purpose is to get people to watch his shows.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
He says it himself, he uses a mixture of magic, showmanship, misdirection and psychology.

He's occasionally dishonest but he's honest about being dishonest

If you watch that particular one, they show two divers surfacing after she walks off. Either they were safety guys or they helped unlock her.

Either way, he went through the trouble of showing them on camera on purpose to let you make up your own mind.

Although as he mentions in his book, people have a habit of remembering things to be more impressive than they actually were.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jun 2, 2008,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I haven't seen much of Derren Brown, but for exemple Criss Angel always admits he has no magical powers, but then he turns a 3 year old girl into an 18 year old girl. That's really dumb, it's either camera work or magic, but magic doesn't exist, so it's pretty obvious it's just effects. He can either learn better tricks or stfu.

or it's an illusion.

he makes something that appears impossible happen.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Portuguese_boy

If it's "live" camera work on tv, then that's acceptable. He all know magic isn't real. Camera has allowed the advent of new tricks, in a way kind of similar to mirrors. Like when David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear live on TV.
Quote by soccermom
What? surley his purpose is to get people to watch his shows.

At the end of most of his live shows he actually has a discussion with the crowd about how he did some of the things he showed them.

Obviously he doesn't show them everything, he needs a job, but he likes people to be sceptical and be able to see things for what they really are.
I don't know anything about Derren Brown since I live on the other side of the pond, but if he's anything like Criss Angel he's obviously full of it. Look up Criss Angel on youtube. It's a wonder no one's used the fact that people actually believe the guy as evidence of American stupidity. That's not an offer to use the fact that people actually believe the guy as evidence of American stupidity, by the way. I happen to live in stupid America.
I like the way he pretty much actively promotes the fact what he does is elaborate trickery.

But I still hate the cunt. Seriously, what a smug faced little git.

Also, stop the Chris Angel comparisons, there are no similarities whatsoever.
Quote by Vermintide
Also, stop the Chris Angel comparisons, there are no similarities whatsoever.

I wasn't necessarily comparing them. I was just saying that I don't know anything about Derren Brown and that if he's like Criss Angel he's a fraud. It wasn't really a comparison as much as it was a guess as to what the guy is like.
Quote by madbasslover
I wasn't necessarily comparing them. I was just saying that I don't know anything about Derren Brown and that if he's like Criss Angel he's a fraud. It wasn't really a comparison as much as it was a guess as to what the guy is like.

Youtube Derren Brown and see some of his stuff.

Especially the dream one and the zombie one.
Quote by madbasslover

Oh, I didn't mean you in particular. There were a few above you saying "Liek Crissz Angel", and I was like "Wat."
I just watched the clips of his show, and they are most definitely real, or as real as magic is supposed to be. Guys, it is a TV show, its not supposed to be "real". Its real magic, though.
Quote by madbasslover

how are they frauds?

they openly admit that what they're doing isn't what it appears to be.

it's in the name ffs. illusionist

illusion
il·lu·sion Audio Help /ɪˈluʒən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-loo-zhuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.
2. the state or condition of being deceived; misapprehension.
3. an instance of being deceived.
4. Psychology. a perception, as of visual stimuli (optical illusion), that represents what is perceived in a way different from the way it is in reality.
5. a very thin, delicate tulle of silk or nylon having a cobwebbed appearance, for trimmings, veilings, and the like.

Quote by element4433
My friend and i used to watch his shows religiously.

But since discovering Derren was gay my friend, as he put it, 'lost all respect for him'...
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
The thing is, Derren said this time that she DID escape without his help and lead his audience to believe that it was genuine.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Then your friend is a dick.

That he is sir, that he is.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
long ass post

Criss Angel doesn't produce a false or misleading impression of reality. He pays actors to stand in his audience and uses camera tricks to make it appear as though as he's performing magic tricks and stunts. The use of camera tricks does create a false impression of reality, yes, but Criss Angel himself has nothing to do with the camera tricks. He does not create the illusions so he is not an illusionist. However, he calls himself one. This constitutes fraud. Have a nice day.
Quote by madbasslover
Criss Angel doesn't produce a false or misleading impression of reality. He pays actors to stand in his audience and uses camera tricks to make it appear as though as he's performing magic tricks and stunts. The use of camera tricks does create a false impression of reality, yes, but Criss Angel himself has nothing to do with the camera tricks. He does not create the illusions so he is not an illusionist. However, he calls himself one. This constitutes fraud. Have a nice day.

does he organise the implementation of/bring about an illusion?

then surely he's an illusionist.

also, the bolded part.

you don't have to like his methods (I don't) but he still creates an illusion.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
does he organise the implementation of/bring about an illusion?

then surely he's an illusionist.

also, the bolded part.

you don't have to like his methods (I don't) but he still creates an illusion.

Alright, fair enough. Point taken. We're agreed, though, his methods suck.
Quote by rizo299
Youtube Derren Brown and see some of his stuff.

Especially the dream one and the zombie one.

That the one with the arcade game?

if it is, quality
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero