Page 1 of 2
Ive got a decent Marshall amp, and a BOSS Metal core pedal, but it gives me too much of a trebely sound. I want a pedal that will provide a really low ground pounding sound. I play a lot of old Metallica, Megadeth, ect... Any suggestions?
Guitars:
ESP KH602 (Skull and Cross Bone inlays, Floyd, EMG 81's)
Hamer Slammer W/ Floyd Rose Trem.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

Pedals:
Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
It's your amp, it's really not very good - aside from a new amp, try turning your treble down. Like way down.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Marshall MG's and Boss Metalcore's are both awful.

Get a new amp first, please.

This.

If you do get a new amp however, look into a Marshall Shredmaster, if you can happen to find one. It might be a little old school for what you're looking for, but it's def. worth a shot
Put a another vote towards a new amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Marshall MG's and Boss Metalcore's are both awful.

Get a new amp first, please.

+1
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by mnoel2008
Ive got a decent Marshall amp, and a BOSS Metal core pedal, but it gives me too much of a trebely sound. I want a pedal that will provide a really low ground pounding sound. I play a lot of old Metallica, Megadeth, ect... Any suggestions?

people are insanely unrealistic here.

you obviously cant buy a new amp in this short of a notice.

i suggest you try the Boss TURBO DISTORTION [DS-2]

thats what kirk used back in the day, and i use it alot for pantera and metallica songs.

also, you might want to try the digitech metal master. its amazing.
Quote by mnoel2008

Not gonna happen, nothing will give you the fullness and bass response as a tube amp built for metal.

As far as pedals if your gonna get one which you will because god knows most people dont listen to us. Is the Protone Body Rot, also heard the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube mayhem is good..
Quote by guitar/bass76
It's your amp, it's really not very good - aside from a new amp, try turning your treble down. Like way down.

I tried that and then it just sounds like a muddy mess. I wanna try a different pedal before I get rid of the amp.
Guitars:

Pedals:
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Quote by Ajester

thats what kirk used back in the day, and i use it alot for pantera and metallica songs.

Excellent advice. Thanks.
Guitars:

Pedals:
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Yeah, when I tried the MG there was no way to get a decent metal sound out of it.
Maybe try some peavy amps, 5150's/6505's are pretty cheap used.........
that's if you have the money right now.
I don't think there's any pedal that can make up for a bad amp, but you could try a metal muff.
(they seem to be very popular, but I've never played through one..so I'm speculating)
Quote by Ajester

Sure ya can i do...

He used that pedal as a solo boost not for his distortion.. Good god man that would have been horrible sounding......
Quote by mnoel2008
Excellent advice. Thanks.

no problem. people dont get it sometimes.
Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
This amp will change your life. I don't use ANY of my other gear.
DO NOT buy the digitech metal master, it'll only worsen your problems.

The only metal distortion box I've found that doesn't give off too much treble is the Metal Muff.

In your case, I would recommend a new amp first though.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
a new amp would be a better investment than a pedal
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
i say go for a tube screamer, from what i hear its what kirk used to get the tone on fade to black, which is a very rumbleing sound and very versitle, also look into geting a ds1 distrotion pedal realy nice and cheap, and for pantera ive found that to get thsoe wailing pinch harmonics you need a wah pedal that rests in position (i.e. dunlop crybaby esque wah) and set it in the toe position, which will give you, what i believe to be an vicious and pounding pinch, also make sure your ueing kirks settings if your amp has the features,
treble at 7, bass at 7, mid a 2, reverb at 2, and volume at 3, and if that to much with pedals turn the pedal off or really low, also turn your tone down or your volume (preffably volume) and turn gain up on the pedal, it gets really gritty imo, gl with acheiveing your tone, i hope i helped
Quote by F8iscruel
i say go for a tube screamer, from what i hear its what kirk used to get the tone on fade to black, which is a very rumbleing sound and very versitle, also look into geting a ds1 distrotion pedal realy nice and cheap, and for pantera ive found that to get thsoe wailing pinch harmonics you need a wah pedal that rests in position (i.e. dunlop crybaby esque wah) and set it in the toe position, which will give you, what i believe to be an vicious and pounding pinch, also make sure your ueing kirks settings if your amp has the features,
treble at 7, bass at 7, mid a 2, reverb at 2, and volume at 3, and if that to much with pedals turn the pedal off or really low, also turn your tone down or your volume (preffably volume) and turn gain up on the pedal, it gets really gritty imo, gl with acheiveing your tone, i hope i helped

wah pedals are for quitters.
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by Ajester

why is that... are you calling hendrix a quitter???
two seperate questions
Quote by F8iscruel

A tubescreamer doesn't do any good when you play it through a giant SOLID STATE AMP!

C'mon people, get a clue before posting. A lot of you should try reading the whole thread before you chip in your ignorant two cents. If you don't know what you're talking about you don't have to give a bull**** answer that won't help anyone, just leave the thread......Arggghhhh...

/rant.

But to the TS, I say again, I think a Metal Muff would be your best bet (runner up to a new amp, of course). When I went pedal shopping, I tried multiple distortions (Metal Zone, Metal Master, Metal Muff, some Danelectro stuff, etc.) and the only thing that gave a good metal distortion without the icepick treble was the Metal Muff. That's why I now own it.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by F8iscruel
why is that... are you calling hendrix a quitter???
two seperate questions

if youre playing pantera, you should have a Floyd rose, and you could pretty much get the same effect with a Floyd.

im not calling hendrix a quitter, but i AM calling him overrated.
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by Ajester

How do you manage to keep that pedestal balanced whilst it's sitting atop that bandwagon?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by Ajester

with every post you make i seem to loose more and more respect.

TS: honestly, id check out a new amp. any OD you use with the MG is gonna leave you sounding like mud. And unless you're gigging, i can't think of a reason why you couldn't save up a bit for a new amp.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Ajester
if youre playing pantera, you should have a Floyd rose, and you could pretty much get the same effect with a Floyd.

very true he is overated, but i know that i have acheived dimebags tone when i go to my lead channel and turn on the wah pedal, but that is of course just me, ive done on a few songs where i think i hear him doing it, such as the riff in cemetary gates, and the riff in cowboys ( the second heaveir one) and when i do i get a sound that matches him very well, for me atl least
Quote by dudetheman
How do you manage to keep that pedestal balanced whilst it's sitting atop that bandwagon?

the thing is.. im not like anti-hendrix, but i hate how his name is synonymous with the word Guitar.

there are plenty of better guitarists.
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by Ajester

there are plenty of better guitarists.

Agreed, but I don't think it's his skill that makes him a household name as much as his innovation.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
to get back on topic, does anyone know a good pedal for trivium tones?
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by dudetheman
Agreed, but I don't think it's his skill that makes him a household name as much as his innovation.

touche,man.
touche.
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by dudetheman

A tubescreamer doesn't do any good when you play it through a giant SOLID STATE AMP!

C'mon people, get a clue before posting. A lot of you should try reading the whole thread before you chip in your ignorant two cents. If you don't know what you're talking about you don't have to give a bull**** answer that won't help anyone, just leave the thread......Arggghhhh...

/rant.

But to the TS, I say again, I think a Metal Muff would be your best bet (runner up to a new amp, of course). When I went pedal shopping, I tried multiple distortions (Metal Zone, Metal Master, Metal Muff, some Danelectro stuff, etc.) and the only thing that gave a good metal distortion without the icepick treble was the Metal Muff. That's why I now own it.

well then you can walk into guitar center and yell at them since they're the ones who have it plugged into a solid state raven, and blame them for it sound damn good too, and just because you think pedals wont help him doesnt mean you need to call someone out, i knew what i was talking about because i know you can put distortion (tube screamer is ditortion and if you say it is not you are basing off the anme and you FAIL) on a solid state, as long as you dont destroy peoples hearing when you have trebble turned on
Quote by Ajester
to get back on topic, does anyone know a good pedal for trivium tones?

why dont you check the settings in the gear section, it might have what your looking for, i found quite a few settings in there that are very good
I bought the amp because I happened upon it at a pawn shop for 250 bucks. I didnt do any research, it was an "Impulse" buy. Im not terribly unhappy with it, because the clean channel and the DFX are pretty good. I just want more bite on the overdrive. I want the palm mute sections to shake the floor. I know that I probably wont achieve that with this amp, but I want a 50-100$ pedal that will tide me over until I can afford a better amp. I just dumped 1100$ on my dream guitar, so another amp is a bit out of the question right now. Thanks for all the advice though.
Guitars:

Pedals:
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Quote by F8iscruel
why dont you check the settings in the gear section, it might have what your looking for, i found quite a few settings in there that are very good

already saw the list. no trivium
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by F8iscruel
...i knew what i was talking about because i know you can put distortion (tube screamer is ditortion and if you say it is not you are basing off the anme and you FAIL) on a solid state, as long as you dont destroy peoples hearing when you have trebble turned on

actually you fail....this whole thread fails. There is a difference between an overdrive pedal and a distortion pedal and a tube screamer does not fall under the realm of a distortion pedal
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by F8iscruel
well then you can walk into guitar center and yell at them since they're the ones who have it plugged into a solid state raven, and blame them for it sound damn good too, and just because you think pedals wont help him doesnt mean you need to call someone out, i knew what i was talking about because i know you can put distortion (tube screamer is ditortion and if you say it is not you are basing off the anme and you FAIL) on a solid state, as long as you dont destroy peoples hearing when you have trebble turned on

I don't have any problems with Guitar Center and how they arrange their merchandise, nor do I have problems with you or your sound preferences. If you like the sound of a tube screamer through a solid state amp, fine.

A tube screamer is NOT a distortion pedal, it's an overdrive, which is a type of pedal designed to boost the signal that goes from the guitar to the amp, which in turn, causes the tubes to work harder and produce more breakup, resulting in a "dirtier" or "boosted" sound.

Seeing how tubes are an important factor in the "tube screamer + tube amp = more distortion" equation, plugging a tube screamer into a solid state amp, which is void of tubes, seems extremely redundant and irrational.

Like I said, get a clue.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by Ajester

Im just gonna say it.. God your an idiot... there its said

And to achieve pantera you need about 40 grand in equipment and ohh guess what he used a WAH and Two Whammys plus the Floyd... So if dime used a Wah and used it alot in fact what does that make him?

God i wish people knew peoples rigs before they opened there mouths....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Im just gonna say it.. God your an idiot... there its said

And to achieve pantera you need about 40 grand in equipment and ohh guess what he used a WAH and Two Whammys plus the Floyd... So if dime used a Wah and used it alot in fact what does that make him?

God i wish people knew peoples rigs before they opened there mouths....

^....
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Quote by dudetheman
I don't have any problems with Guitar Center and how they arrange their merchandise, nor do I have problems with you or your sound preferences. If you like the sound of a tube screamer through a solid state amp, fine.

A tube screamer is NOT a distortion pedal, it's an overdrive, which is a type of pedal designed to boost the signal that goes from the guitar to the amp, which in turn, causes the tubes to work harder and produce more breakup, resulting in a "dirtier" or "boosted" sound.

Seeing how tubes are an important factor in the "tube screamer + tube amp = more distortion" equation, plugging a tube screamer into a solid state amp, which is void of tubes, seems extremely redundant and irrational.

Like I said, get a clue.

wow sorry i feel really stupid, i know there a difference between overdrvive and distortion, ( i dont know what but i know there is), and i get them confused alot. also i do believe that when metallica started out ( not 100% on this though) kirk used solid states and he did use a tube screamer, and it did sound very good if he did, if he did not then i apologize for starting this whole conversation
Quote by F8iscruel
wow sorry i feel really stupid, i know there a difference between overdrvive and distortion, ( i dont know what but i know there is), and i get them confused alot. also i do believe that when metallica started out ( not 100% on this though) kirk used solid states and he did use a tube screamer, and it did sound very good if he did, if he did not then i apologize for starting this whole conversation

marshalls and mesas.
Guitars-
Ibanez RG 350mdx

Amps and FX-
Line 6 HD150 by Bogner.
Hey TS, I was wondering if you wanted to check out an EQ pedal? if you make a flat sound through you amp and adjust using the EQ, it may be worth trying to see if that helps with your current setup. It will give you more precise control of your settings.

I have my pedals set up so I usually have almost flat setting on the amp, letting my pedals do most of the EQ work, usually just have to make minor tweaks on the amp to get a tone I like.

My only other advice, that if you keep buying stuff to cover a bad tone you are getting from your amp, you still have the same problem in the end but have spent a lot of money getting stuff you don't need. Check out other amps if you can and see how they change your sound before you spend money on more stuff.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Page 1 of 2