Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm pretty sure this is what I want. I was looking at the 6505 again, but I would like power tube saturation, and 120 watts is way to much!!

A 50 watt head seems about right to me, it won't have to be so (still painful) loud to get that sweet tube tone.

Same price as the 6505 (1k), but it will hopefully suit my needs better .

What do ya think?

Thanks in advance
Sounds like a plan and good choice, also you if you can step it up to a Used Engl Fireball. Tested one out yesterday that thing was amazing.... And pretty versatile had nice chimey cleans, good low gain crunch and enough high gain brOOtalz to keep you going for a long time. And broke up nice with the volume cranked like a 60 watter should. Actually liked it alot, made me really want to get my hands on a Powerball.
It depends on what you play. The Engl Thunder is probably better tone-wise, but may not have enough gain for the heaviest of metal.

I bought my 60watt 5150 (6505) combo on eBay for $600, so that might be an option if you don't mind buying used.

I've never played the Thunder, but from soundclips and what Ive read its the lowest gain of the Engl head (not a bad thing; depends on what sound you're after).

Also, you can get great tones from the 6505 and Thunder at low volumes.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV3R3c8WF4 (distortion kicks in @ 0:38)
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by stigma15
It depends on what you play. The Engl Thunder is probably better tone-wise, but may not have enough gain for the heaviest of metal.

I bought my 60watt 5150 (6505) combo on eBay for $600, so that might be an option if you don't mind buying used.

I've never played the Thunder, but from soundclips and what Ive read its the lowest gain of the Engl head (not a bad thing; depends on what sound you're after).

Also, you can get great tones from the 6505 and Thunder at low volumes.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV3R3c8WF4 (distortion kicks in @ 0:38)

Nah, I already have a cab, 'tis partly why I'm going with the head (awesomeness FTW!!!).

So far I'm going with the Thunder, but I will see what I can do about the Fireball...
with the 6505 head you can pull 2 tubes and make it 60w, and i belive it sounds better than the thunder, (IMO)
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
with the 6505 head you can pull 2 tubes and make it 60w, and i belive it sounds better than the thunder, (IMO)

I'd rather not, and the versatility of the Thunder is a huge plus .
Who cares if the amp has 120watts, just get an attenuator and you can push the power tubes at a much lower volume. And trust me, a 60satter will still peel the paint off the walls at 4.
Quote by mogar
Who cares if the amp has 120watts, just get an attenuator and you can push the power tubes at a much lower volume. And trust me, a 60satter will still peel the paint off the walls at 4.

dude...that doesn't help me at all, I'm definitely going for the Thunder.

Anyways...as I was asking...any tube changes needed for the Engl's?

Thanks .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
I'd rather not, and the versatility of the Thunder is a huge plus .

Sounds like you had your mind made up before hand, so why solicit advice?

Quote by DiMeTiMe
Because that's not what I was asking....everyone keeps on trying to shove the 6505 back in this...

OK, the way the first post was worded, it looked like you were asking if the Thunder was a better choice than the 6505.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Last edited by stigma15 at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by stigma15
Sounds like you had your mind made up before hand, so why solicit advice?

Because that's not what I was asking....everyone keeps on trying to shove the 6505 back in this...
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Anyways...as I was asking...any tube changes needed for the Engl's?

Nope, shouldn't need a change. Listen to how it sounds first to see if the stock tubes suit you or not.

Also keep in mind that the Thunder may have more than one channel, but they all share the same eq and gain knob. Also no reverb.
Have you tried out both amps?

They sound rather different. The Thunder will be a fair bit brighter sounding than the 6505, and you may or may not like that.

Both are good amps for metal, but as others have said, look at a Fireball, and possibly even a screamer too, if you want versitality.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by mogar
Nope, shouldn't need a change. Listen to how it sounds first to see if the stock tubes suit you or not.

Also keep in mind that the Thunder may have more than one channel, but they all share the same eq and gain knob. Also no reverb.

Sweet...and yeah, that's not a problem .
Oh crap, I just found out/realized something - the Thunder's gain knob controls all the channels - including clean!

That is not good...so I guess the Screamer has this problem solved?

I also noticed the Screamer has reverb & lead presence controls .

Thanks, conused .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Please! I need to know if the Screamer's clean channel is unaffected by the gain control!

The Screamer is amazing!

The Clean and crunch share a "gain" control
and the 2 Heavier channels have their own "gain"

EDIT: I own a Screamer 50 combo so if you have any other questions Ill do my best to help
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by thefrigginbob
The Screamer is amazing!

The Clean and crunch share a "gain" control
and the 2 Heavier channels have their own "gain"

EDIT: I own a Screamer 50 combo so if you have any other questions Ill do my best to help

Okay, thank you!

So, I could have the clean/crunch gain on 0, and the "heavier channels" gain way up there?

Thanks .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Okay, thank you!

So, I could have the clean/crunch gain on 0, and the "heavier channels" gain way up there?

Thanks .

Yeah, but at 2-3 o'clock clean is still pretty clean depending on how you pick, that was crunch will still have a nice drive to it if/when you switch over. TECHNICALLY you control the gain with a channel volume, so you cant have it at 0, but liek I said at 12-ish its very clean.

I would HIGHLY recommend an overdrive. I wasn't using my ts-9 for a long time, until I learned that you can turn down the gain on it and use it to tighten your sound.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Yeah, but at 2-3 o'clock clean is still pretty clean depending on how you pick, that was crunch will still have a nice drive to it if/when you switch over. TECHNICALLY you control the gain with a channel volume, so you cant have it at 0, but liek I said at 12-ish its very clean.

I would HIGHLY recommend an overdrive. I wasn't using my ts-9 for a long time, until I learned that you can turn down the gain on it and use it to tighten your sound.

Okay, cool .

oh, dude, I already have the Bad Monkey - that was planned long ago .
One is label Clean all the way to the left, the other is labeled Lead which is the next one over I think.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I personally would save a bit more money to get the Fireball or just get the 6505. 6505's sound great at low volumes anyways
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__
I personally would save a bit more money to get the Fireball or just get the 6505. 6505's sound great at low volumes anyways

I would probably go with the 6505 if I only played metal - but I don't. I like to whip out (lololol) the occassional Gary Moore song (teh blues ), or play entirely clean songs.
Metal foremost, but not just.

Also keep in mind I'm still saving up () and I haven't tried the 6505 head from the local music store yet.

So far - ENGL Screamer .
Awe crap...more choices .......

Okay, well...I found the Traynor YCS100H head and it seems like an extremely versatile amp with everything I would need. It has 3 FULL channels (separate EQ's, etc.), 100 watt AND 30 watt mode (crankage!!!?), and stellar high gain tones as well!

I know it's not an ENGL, but I feel I'm getting alot more for my money with the Traynor.

Opinions?
Traynor's can get some pretty good sounds. Sound a lot like a marshall.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Traynor's can get some pretty good sounds. Sound a lot like a marshall.

Awe...well I need an amp with like 6505/ENGL quality high gain tones, separate clean/od channels, good cleans (w/o using my guitar's volume control ), and hopefully around 1k.

This is pissing me off ...
How much you want to spend? Tell me that and I'll see what I can dig up for ya .
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Used JSX?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Carvin V3? apparently has really good cleans and very good distortion....
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Awe crap...more choices .......

Okay, well...I found the Traynor YCS100H head and it seems like an extremely versatile amp with everything I would need. It has 3 FULL channels (separate EQ's, etc.), 100 watt AND 30 watt mode (crankage!!!?), and stellar high gain tones as well!

I know it's not an ENGL, but I feel I'm getting alot more for my money with the Traynor.

Opinions?

Unless you live in a sound proof house, or gig pretty much every day, you wont be cranking 30watts much. Thats damn loud, trust me.

Also, for metal, Power tube distortion and saturation isnt really a necessity or even a large part of the tone. Metal tones are mainly shaped by the pre-amp.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Unless you live in a sound proof house, or gig pretty much every day, you wont be cranking 30watts much. Thats damn loud, trust me.

Also, for metal, Power tube distortion and saturation isnt really a necessity or even a large part of the tone. Metal tones are mainly shaped by the pre-amp.

Yeah, I know, but a bit of power tube saturation wouldn't be bad for teh blues?

amirite?
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Jun 5, 2008,
Quote by jerm__
Carvin V3? apparently has really good cleans and very good distortion....

Ya, I was looking at that too, but I wasn't sure...

What about the Carvin Legacy head??? That thing looks sweet, and more importantly - affordable .

oh..

So...it seems (teh youtube) the V3 head would be alot better suited to playing metal - does UG approve of this?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770265

You have a obsession with halfstacks, when a combo is perfectly fine and you can hook up your cabinet to the combo if you even wanted. You go into threads with your mind made up already, so don't make them at all.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770265

You have a obsession with halfstacks, when a combo is perfectly fine and you can hook up your cabinet to the combo if you even wanted. You go into threads with your mind made up already, so don't make them at all.

Yeah, thanks for answering my question - you've always been a great help.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Yeah, thanks for answering my question - you've always been a great help.

"What do ya think? "

I believe I answered your question.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Page 1 of 2