But, is 15? It's a lot cheaper for a Vox AC15 then an AC30, but I'm really worried that 15 watts just isn't going to be enough to gig with. 15 watts unmic'd doesn't seem like enough to fill up a gym and hold it's own against drums and bass, but I may be wrong, and that's why I love you guys in GG&A.
I had a beautiful old Fender 60's (black faced) tremolux once that sounded so nice. The problem was it was only twenty watts so when I jammed with my old bands mates I couldn't keep up to them when we turned up a notch! An extension speaker might've helped a bit by moving more air but I eventually traded it for a 100W non-master volume Twin (Silver faced) which was too much amp. I then backed off to a Music Man RD50 watt which was plenty. If you're going to play live I wouldn't go lower than 30watts. It should give you volume/power for clean headroom but still let you crank it for poweramp distortion.

PS where'd you get the "BirdMan" pic?
30 watts solidstate won't be enough for a gig unless you are mic'd
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
30 watts solidstate won't be enough for a gig unless you are mic'd

Go Tube all the way! He's right a tube amps are louder than their solid state counterparts.
If you don't need cleans then 15 watts is plenty
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
it kind of depends on the amp. some amps are just louder than others. ive never played an AC15. ive played an AC30 that was pretty loud. but if you dont need like super clean cleans youll be ok. you can get pretty clean probably.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Nah. I have a Blues Jr. (15W tube), and it wasn't enough to play a gym comfortably. So I borrowed the bassist's Classic 50. If you want to be loud without breaking up too too much, 15 probably won't be enough.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I don't mind breaking up at all, I just want to make sure I don't blow the amp to timbuktu.

And, for those who don't know, an AC15 is an all tube amp, I am aware that 30 watts solid state is no where near enough. Plus, why on earth would I buy a solid state?
If you don't already know, the AC15 isn't really that much like the AC30. I find it like it's inferior little brother that gets the good name of the AC30 just because of the name and has high expectations that the little AC15 can't fulfill.
Quote by stringmagician
And, for those who don't know, an AC15 is an all tube amp, I am aware that 30 watts solid state is no where near enough. Plus, why on earth would I buy a solid state?

That's what I thought when I read that post. Apparently, some people don't know what an AC30/AC15 is.

Anyway, 15 is damned loud. I had the chance to crank a Epi Valve Standard to 2/3 volume, and it blew me away.

The thing is, the AC15 doesn't have that AC30 tone. It's a damn good amp, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have that same bite to it.
Quote by imgooley
That's what I thought when I read that post. Apparently, some people don't know what an AC30/AC15 is.

Anyway, 15 is damned loud. I had the chance to crank a Epi Valve Standard to 2/3 volume, and it blew me away.

The thing is, the AC15 doesn't have that AC30 tone. It's a damn good amp, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have that same bite to it.

I know it doesn't, which is a major bummer, but there are sacrifices to be made on low wages.

I think I'll give them a good full out comparison next time I go to Guitar Center
YES no matter what people say, 15 watts tube is enough for a gym... definately ..and if its the vox ac15 then you'll be lucky to push it pass 3 depending on the size of room

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by acdcrocks0323
If you want a great AC30 tone for the price of the AC15, try a Peavey Delta Blues 1X15. Very very AC30 like sounding.

Very true. It has that nice warmth to it.

Also give the Epiphone Blues Custom a try. Those things pur like a lynx.
I think anywhere between 30-50 watts is a comfortable level. 100 is just too much unless you're REALLY gigging.
High as tits
The AC15 gets a bad rap because it doesn't sound like a smaller AC30. It is an awesome amp in its own right, but a lot of people plug into one expecting AC30 cleans, which it doesn't really have. The OD is as good or better than the AC30's, IMHO. The AC15 sounds absolutely massive with a good guitar and the cut knob turned down.
Quote by Roc8995
The AC15 gets a bad rap because it doesn't sound like a smaller AC30. It is an awesome amp in its own right, but a lot of people plug into one expecting AC30 cleans, which it doesn't really have. The OD is as good or better than the AC30's, IMHO. The AC15 sounds absolutely massive with a good guitar and the cut knob turned down.

Will it sound big with a SSS strat? Alder I think

And thanks everyone, this is the most helpful thread I've ever made
A Blues junior may not be enough, but an AC15 is the loudest 15 watts I've ever heard. WAY louder than the Blues Junior for sure.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by acdcrocks0323
If you want a great AC30 tone for the price of the AC15, try a Peavey Delta Blues 1X15. Very very AC30 like sounding.

Blue Ribbon.

Best suggestion in thread.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.