Hey everyone, I have quite the dilemma here.

I currently own a Peavey JSX head, a guy I know is willing to sell me his Framus Cobra head for 1900$ (I could probably work him down to 1700$), this Framus Cobra has been modded by the guitar tech for the band Unearth(one of my favourite bands), it has a custom Push-Pull pot installed for deep control, and this guy bought it off of them 2 years back when they switched to VHT I think.

So I was wondering whether I should jump on this oppertunity and pick up the Framus Cobra, and decide what to do with my Peavey JSX?

I was wondering if a Dual Amp rig with the Cobra and the JSX is a good idea? Would the amps sound too similar, or could they blend well together? (Keep in mind I dont have any experience or know much about dual amp rigs at all, so an explanation with an answer here would be greatly appreciated)

Should I just pick up the Cobra then try to sell my JSX for 1000$ ish?

Let me know what you guys think, oh and I havnt gotten the chance to play the Cobra yet, so if you guys have opinions on the Cobra, or Cobra vs JSX please fill me in.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
They can sound similar, but if you could afford to keep the JSX then I probably would. The JSX is a little brighter and the Cobra could fill the low spectrum really well. Do you like the KT77's in the JSX? Cause they are a really good match with the Cobra.
Hey thanks for the reply, I've never gotten to play the Cobra myself but I've seen them live with some bands and loved their tone, but they were also running dual amp rigs with VHT Deliverances. I could probably afford to keep the JSX, but it would be tight, if I sold the JSX in the next two weeks then I could pick up the Cobra much quicker than if I had to wait for 3 more paycheques before getting the Cobra.

I really like the KT77's in the JSX, I thought it sounded better for the tone I was going for than the stock EL34's, I have more chunk and low end in my JSX now, but the tone isn't sustainy and smooth enough for the leads.

Im not sure if you've played both a Cobra and a JSX, but what would be the significant differences between the two amps? Could I say, use my JSX for the low end and rhythm tones, then A/B it with the Cobra for creamy leads?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
i bet the framus could do everything, i love the framus tone.
but if you can keep the JSX, you should.
It's probably more versatile for other styles.
i could be wrong though, ive never actually played a framus, I've just listened to the metal tone it has.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I have the Cobra and I got mine for either 1700 or 1900 dollars new (forget which one). Just throwing that out there.

The Cobra is an amazing amp. The JSX is also one of my favorite amps, but I chose the Cobra because it could do the br00talz better.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Oh ****, where did you pick up a Cobra for 1900$ new? I thought they were close to 3000$ heads, and Im not sure if there's even a dealer in Canada that carries them?

I play mostly the brutal stuff, incredibly high gain, chunky rhythms and searing lead tones, the JSX has spectacular cleans, and a really solid High gain and crunch channel, but I just havnt been blown away by its tone yet, some of the bands that use Cobras have blown me away though.

I know before I make a decision, I'm definitely going to ask to play his Cobra at gigging levels and see if it does it for me to merit the 1900$.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I ordered it from a place in Pennsylvania, but I doubt it would work for you because you live in Canada. They shipped it to me, but taxes and stuff might make the price alot higher.

The thing about the Cobra to me is that its voiced very brightly IMO. I usually role the gain knob on the lead channel to about half way, because theres so much gain on tap that it will get extremely thin and saturated sounding also, but if you take the time to get some settings its tough to beat. And regarding the cleans, I like them better then the JSX. I use alot of cleans when I play and really enjoy these. The bright switch is a very cool feature to enhance your cleans.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I believe you could get it for about $1,700. Any mods to the Framus Cobra/Dragon are very simple because there are very few internal parts. If you need more low end out of a Cobra/Dragon you're insane. You can get a 2x12 cabinet to sound like a bass amp with one of those amps!

As for overall sound differences...I definatly prefer framus for metal, clean, blues, jazz, classic rock...well...other than shred it smokes the JSX.

For the money you might want to buy a Framus Dragon (which sells for about $1,300-$1,400) on ebay or HC quite often and do the Cobra mod which adds a cap to add some gain. They're nearly identical amps except for that one mod. Then sell the JSX for something more marshally to bring out your upper registers.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Really they're both quite versatile amps so what ever type of music you play they'll both do it really, you really need to test the Framus if possible and see if you like it more than the JSX. Nobody can really tell you which one you will prefer
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I think you could let the JSX go. The tonal benefit, weighted against matinece for another tube amp head, is probably not worth it. Who wants to carry two heads to a gig, wire a cab for stereo, re-do your pedalboard, and worry about twice as many tubes failing?
Keep the JSX.

I wouldn't want a road toured, modded, used amp. It already has three strikes against it IMO.

Your Peavey still has how many of the 5 years of warranty left?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hmm, I've had both answers, "keep the JSX, and let the JSX go!", I'll definitely end up trying the Cobra before deciding if Im willing to drop 2G on it.
I still have 3 years left of my Peavey warranty on my JSX.
How is the quality build of the Framus? If its been road toured, modded and used like "van noord" said, do you think it still has a lot of life left in it?
How different is the High gain voicing of the Cobra compared to the JSX if anyone knows?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
It's not the most rugged head, but if your careful with it you will be fine.

The voicing vs. the JSX is hard to describe. The JSX is more shred (smooth) sounding while the Framus is more punishing and gritty.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by Tensorspencer
Hmm, I've had both answers, "keep the JSX, and let the JSX go!", I'll definitely end up trying the Cobra before deciding if Im willing to drop 2G on it.
I still have 3 years left of my Peavey warranty on my JSX.
How is the quality build of the Framus? If its been road toured, modded and used like "van noord" said, do you think it still has a lot of life left in it?
How different is the High gain voicing of the Cobra compared to the JSX if anyone knows?

With any amp head that you plan on transporting once a week to say band practice, I am a firm believer you should have a case for it, or it should be wrapped in a blanket or something in the car. Treat it like it's glass. Doesn't matter if it's a $1000 or $4000 head, take care of it.

If you do that the only problems you should ever face would be tube problems. Quite a few bands use Framus, they've been toured with. The biggest issue as far as the amps go is the PCB mounted tubes, tiny pots, thin cabinet, massive amount of PCB, and thin tolex. Typically that's unheard of in an amp that costs more than $2000, but the end result sounds phenomenal. It has a real tone, full of harmonics, very rich.

The gain voicing in the Cobra is very fizzly, in a good way. Huge low end, and huge harmonic content. The dragon has slightly less gain, sounds a bit more natural.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Tensorspencer
...How is the quality build of the Framus? If its been road toured, modded and used like "van noord" said, do you think it still has a lot of life left in it?

any way you can check it out first? If it's been toured without a case, it's probably beat up, the tolex is like paper, but the internals should be ok. Might want to check the pots too. The pots on my Cobra started to get wobbly on the depth and mix controls. I thought it was the knobs, but it was the actual pot. The silkscreen print on the face is not put on very well. If you rub too hard to clean fingerprints, you can end up wiping the labeling right off the controls. My friend has a Cobra that's been toured, and it doesn't have a spec of lettering left on the front. It's also generally accepted that the earlier revisions of the heads are actually better. They used better parts, better build quality(flying leads, chassis mounted sockets, etc...), and supposedly sound better too. They went thru quite a bit of cost cutting in the later revisons.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Well I was talking to the guy, and one of my other friends who went on tour with them and he said it was always in a Rackmounted case and they were always really careful loading it up and off the truck and so on, so its in excellent condition.

This may sound stupid, but how would I go about checking the pots?
I know how to check pretty much everything else just fine, but not sure how to go about checking the pots?

Thanks to everyone for their input by the way.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
Well I was talking to the guy, and one of my other friends who went on tour with them and he said it was always in a Rackmounted case and they were always really careful loading it up and off the truck and so on, so its in excellent condition.

This may sound stupid, but how would I go about checking the pots?
I know how to check pretty much everything else just fine, but not sure how to go about checking the pots?

Thanks to everyone for their input by the way.

nothing at all to checking a pot man. Just fire it up, and make sure none of them are crackly or anything when you adjust the knobs. You'll be able to tell right away if the shaft is bent or it's wobbly in your hand.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
buy the cobra...if you like it more than the JSX sell the JSX or vice versa
Hmm, apparently Cobra's have a poor quality of build. I would maybe look into the same amps i always say haha which are:

ENGL Fireball/Powerball/Savage
Splawn Nitro
Soldano SLO
Mako Dorado
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Yeah man, Unearth actually used this exact Framus, Im not sure if it was Buzz or Ken that played this framus, but I know for a fact that one of them did.

Thanks for all the replies, I've set up a time with the guy so I can come and play the Framus at gigging levels, and check it out for like an hour, so I'll have a much better idea if I want it after I play it for awhile.

Onto another question, how does a dual amp rig work? I know you can get the A/B pedals, so does that run the two heads into the same cab in stereo? Or do you need a second cab aswell?
Is it possible to run both amps at the same time into the same cab, or could this cause huge impedance issues?
Any general information about dual amp rigs would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for all the replies!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
Yeah man, Unearth actually used this exact Framus, Im not sure if it was Buzz or Ken that played this framus, but I know for a fact that one of them did.

Thanks for all the replies, I've set up a time with the guy so I can come and play the Framus at gigging levels, and check it out for like an hour, so I'll have a much better idea if I want it after I play it for awhile.

Onto another question, how does a dual amp rig work? I know you can get the A/B pedals, so does that run the two heads into the same cab in stereo? Or do you need a second cab aswell?
Is it possible to run both amps at the same time into the same cab, or could this cause huge impedance issues?
Any general information about dual amp rigs would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for all the replies!

as long as it's a stereo cab, it's easy to run 2 heads off it, you just have to match the impedance of each head, to the impedance of each side of the stereo cab. The Marshall has 4ohm stereo inputs on the cab right? If so, you would just set both heads to 4ohms, and run each one into the seperate stereo inputs.

EDIT: I think I just remembered it was 8ohms per side maybe? In that case, run each head at 8 ohms, and plug them into the seperate stereo jacks. It's really making your one cab into 2 seperate cabs, 2 speakers per head.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 5, 2008,
Two speakers per head? That could be pretty sweet? Anyone use this kind of a rig? How is the sound compared to a full 4x12 for each head? I know the 4 speakers would push more air, but does it lose any quality or get muddy at all having 2 speakers per head from the same cab?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded