Alright i can't think of how to phrase this question well but here it goes. I'm kinda new at guitar and i was wondering whats the right way to pick if your going from string to string? do you alternate where you hit the string every time or do you just keep going in the same direction (like if your playing open b then g then d)?
example: fade to black: lets say that (A) next to the number is hitting the string from above and (B) is hitting the string from below.
1. alternating every time
e-----------------------------------15(A)--------14(A)-----------------------------------------------
b----------15(B)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
g------------------14(A)--12(B)---------14(B)---------14(B)---------------------------------------
d---12(A)----------------------------------------------------------12(A)------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or

2. same direction between strings, but alternating on the same string
e-----------------------------------15(A)--------14(A)-----------------------------------------------
b----------15(A)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
g------------------14(B)--12(A)---------14(B)---------14(B)---------------------------------------
d---12(A)----------------------------------------------------------12(B)-----------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry about the poor example
Its not a poor example, don't worry. The second way of picking you described is known as Economy Picking while the first one is, as you pointed out, Alternate Picking. For now, if your a beginner I would reconmend you play it with Alternate Picking. Alternatly picking the notes leaves you open for more techniques in the future, while Economy Picking is not used generally speaking until you become quite a bit better. For my students, I say leave out the second method you explained until you are confident with the first method, or Alternate Picking. You will use it far more than Economy, so its more advantageous to practise it.
Why is it better to use Alternate Picking? Do you use the different styles for different kinds of music?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Its not a poor example, don't worry. The second way of picking you described is known as Economy Picking while the first one is, as you pointed out, Alternate Picking. For now, if your a beginner I would reconmend you play it with Alternate Picking. Alternatly picking the notes leaves you open for more techniques in the future, while Economy Picking is not used generally speaking until you become quite a bit better. For my students, I say leave out the second method you explained until you are confident with the first method, or Alternate Picking. You will use it far more than Economy, so its more advantageous to practise it.

+1

also, go to www.justinguitar.com
then click on Techniques on the left column
scroll down, then click on The Spider
it's an exercise that helps A LOT with ur alternate picking
i've used it, and holy crap it rocks lol
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Alt is normally better, most people(including me) just find it easier to keep the rythem up, down, up, down. But, depending on the passage, economy could be better, because you may not get the speed with alternate.
Quote by Dimeborg
Why is it better to use Alternate Picking? Do you use the different styles for different kinds of music?

Economy picking is often used in Jazz, cause' one of the whole points of Jazz is playing with ease and relaxation, or economy. Sweep picking uses economy picking, which is a common technique in all styles of music. I think it originated from Jazz but it developed into rock music, particularly shred style's.
Alternate picking is used in everything, thats the difference. I have never heard of a guitarist who was technically accompished that didn't employ alternate picking. But guitarist like Frank Zappa, Frank Gambale and Synyster Gates all use Economy picking in different ways and in different styles of music. It creates a more flowing feel and its easier to string skip. Don't worry about it for now, unless you are determined to learn it of course. If you are, I'll shake your hand.
Quote by Dimeborg

Unless you can alternate pick at least a little well you wpn't be able to economy pick because whether they like it or not everyone uses alternate picking at one time or other.

It is true however that economy picking will be used more often in Jazz because it's very arpeggio focussed so they will use a lot of things with one note on each string so it just more advantageous to play with a flow of strokes in one direction.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well the problem is I learned to economy pick first just by playing on my own cuz i found it pretty easy but I've started taking lessons now and my teacher said i should learn to alternate pick instead, but its hard to keep the alternating pattern when i switch strings
Quote by Dimeborg
Well the problem is I learned to economy pick first just by playing on my own cuz i found it pretty easy but I've started taking lessons now and my teacher said i should learn to alternate pick instead, but its hard to keep the alternating pattern when i switch strings

This is one of the things you need to be careful about with teachers; their word is not necessarily the gospel truth. As far as I'm concerned economy picking when changing strings is fine as long as you understand that you won't be able to use it all the time so you should learn to alternate pick as well. As for what to tell your teacher I really don't know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Dimeborg

Teachers are in the same position as you mate. Don't listen to them all the time, they don't always know whats best. If economy picking suits you more than alternate picking, thats brilliant. But you will need to learn it at some point though if you want to take your playing to different levels. I know it seems like a daunting tasks, but take your time, it'll come to you, don't worry. Just practise it slowly a little bit everyday. Can you strum chords up and down?
yes that i can do, and i can alt pick notes on the same string, its just keeping the pattern when changing strings that gets me
Try this excersize:

Alternate pick the first section; going down the strings. Then use economy picking and pulling off when travelling up the strings. This way you practise both of the picking patterns. Its a great warm excersize and you can add knew fingers and frets as well.

So...alternate picking..............economy picking..........................

E---------------------------------5h6p5------------------------------------|
B---------------------------5--6----------6p5------------------------------|
G--------------------5--6-----------------------6p5------------------------|
D--------------5--6-----------------------------------6p5------------------|
A--------5--6------------------------------------------------6p5-----------|
E--5--6-------------------------------------------------------------6p5----|

Up, down........................................Economy picking....all up picks
E----------------------------------5h7p5-------------------------------------|
B----------------------------5--7-----------7p5------------------------------|
G---------------------5--7------------------------7p5------------------------|
D---------------5--7-------------------------------------7p5-----------------|
A--------5--7---------------------------------------------------7p5----------|
E--5--7----------------------------------------------------------------7p5---|
Also, try this Spider Excersize if don't know it already:

E-----------------------------------------------------------|----------------6--7--8--9------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B-----------------------------------------------------------|-5--6--7--8-----------------7--8--9--10--------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G--------------------------------------------4--5--6--7---|-----------------------------------------------8--9--10--11-|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D------------------------------3--4--5--6-----------------|----------------------------------------------------------------|-9--10--11--12-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A----------------2--3--4--5-------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------10--11--12--13-------------------------------------------|
E--1--2--3--4---------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------11--12--13--14--14--13--12--11--|

E-------------------------------------------------------------------------|--9--8--7--6---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B----------------------------------------------------------10--9--8--7-|----------------8--7--6--5-------------------------------------------------------------|
G-----------------------------------------11--10--9--8----------------|-------------------------------7--6--5--4----------------------------------------------|
D----------------------12--11--10--9----------------------------------|---------------------------------------------6--5--4--3-------------------------------|
A--13--12--11--10-----------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------5--4--3--2-----------------|
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------------4--3--2--1--|
thanks a lot guys. i really appreciate the help. one more question if you dont mind, when do you use alternate picking and when do you use economy picking?
Its hard to define when you use them because in theory, you can use them anytime you want. You can use economy picking when playing three notes per string scales and sweeping arppegios. An example of those is:

U: Up pick; D: Down pick: This is the C Major scale.

.....D....U...D...D...U...D...D...U...D...D...U...D.....D....U.....D...D.....U....D....U....D....U....U....D....U......U....D....U
E----------------------------------------------------------------------10--12--13--13--12--10---------------------------------etc
B-------------------------------------------------------10--12--13--------------------------------13--12--10------------------etc
G-----------------------------------------9--10--12----------------------------------------------------------------12--10--9---etc
D----------------------------9--10--12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------etc
A---------------8--10--12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------etc
E--8--10--12----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------etc

Strip Skipping excersize: This is played with alternate picking in genearl, but there's no harm in learning it with economy picking as well.

....Up and down all the way....Or this method: D,D,D,U,D,D,D,U
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------15-------|
B-----------8----------------12-------------------15--------------------------17-|
G--------------------------------------------------------------------14-------------|
D-------9------9-------12-------12---------14-------14----12------------------|
A---7--------------10------------------12-----------------------------------------|
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Sweeping excerisize: (Economy Picking)
......D...D.......U....U....D......U..etc...................D........U....D...D....D.....U.......U....D...D.....D
E-------12----15-------12----15----------------|--12p8----------------8---12p8-----------------8------|
B--13--------------13-----------------------------|---------10------10---------------10-------10---------|
D---------------------------------------------------|---------------9--------------------------9----------------|
A---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------|
E---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------|