I know fender is alder but how does alder sound with humbuckers? And really which is the best wood?
I suppose it depends on the tone you want.
I'm no wood expert, though.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by djgbsbj
I know fender is alder but how does alder sound with humbuckers? And really which is the best wood?

it's all subjective. I'd suggest you go to a music store and jude for yourself.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
There is no best wood. It's all personal preference.

The three most popular woods undoubtedly are Alder, Mahagony, and Basswood.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
hehe... *resists wood joke*

There really is no "best" wood, Mahogany and alder are generally the top of the line though. Generally, Mahogany hides the highs and accents the lows, while as alder does the opposite and is more prone to really let the highs ring.

I like them both, I think if you were recording artist it would be a really good idea to keep a few of each around, because they both have their pro's and con's.
Quote by djgbsbj
So which one is more versatile?

are you serious? Everyone's already been telling you it's all subjective. That means everyone is going to have different opinions.Every wood has a different set of pros and cons. tbh the only way to know is to play some for yourself.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by djgbsbj
So which one is more versatile?

Basswood :/ Really though, it's subjective. In general though, alder is better if you want clear, screaming highs (most of Steve Vai's guitars are alder), and mahogany is better for nice, chunky rhythms. Basswood is about in the middle of these two.
there really is no best wood. depends on the tone your after. mahogany is a bit warmer than alder. alder has a balanced tone, warm and bright.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Swamp ash is better than alder at giving a bright sound while sustaining like crazy.
Mahogany, is better for the opposite.
Basswood is great cause it sustains lots too, while remaining neutral.
Mahogany, since Angus from AC/DC and Iommi from Sabbath both use SG's which are mahogany guitars.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
So if i get an sg and i have a strat should i pretty much have the classic rock stuff covered?
Quote by djgbsbj
So if i get an sg and i have a strat should i pretty much have the classic rock stuff covered?

Thats exactly what I'm planning on doing. However the best wood is still Ent wood. But its pretty rare.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)