now, i feel completely retarded. i have wired 100000 guitars, all sorts of crazy ****. i am wiring a one humbucker, one volume pot strat right now... and i cannot ****ing get this thing ground for the life of me. i wired the output jack correctly, the bridge is ground, the pot is ground, the humbucker is ground... i touch everything and the noise stops... so im totally wtfing right now. i rewired it 3 times, replaced the pot, everything... made sure there were no cold joints, every joint is clean according to my multimeter.
bad pup?
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
its a brand new out of the box duncan JB, whih was wired in another guitar just fine, so thats ruled out as well. and y es its wired correctly ,even to check my stupidness i pulled up a diagram at SDs website for the one pickup one knob.
do you mean that everything is grounded (ie no signal) or everything is grounded correctly but theres still noise?
are you near a tv, monitor, or anything electrical when you're doing your wiring?
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
everything is grounded correctly, but there is still the non-ground buzz. it stops when i touch anything metal.

no, but i have another guitar right here, and it does not have the same noise when i plug it into the amp.
I have no idea. I'd try to replace the jack though, maybe thats the problem. My first guitar was a 1 volume 1 humbucker guitar and it works great.
My only thought would be a stray wire doing something, or cold soldier joint, but i'm guessing from your experience you'd have tackled both of these if they were an issue.
say what?

the noise is supposed to stop when you touch the metal, but the noise isnt supposed to exist in the first place? i KNOW its wired correctly, but i know what a guitar sounds like with a ground issue, and this one has it...
yea that typically a grounding issue...

Maybe it's the cable? if the grounding connection on the cable, or something, it won't give a good ground through the rest of the guitar also if i'm not mistaken
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
yeah i thought about that, and its a livewire cable, and i have a monster cable, it does it through that too, two highdollar cables.

the onlything i can think of is a ****ty solder joint on top of the pot... my soldering iron is slowly dying, it might be there.

Also, the bridge ground? I didnt solder the wire to the bridge ground (its impossible to get solder to adhere to the metal for some reason, even after sanding it)... so what i di was i frayed the wire, and screwed the bridge down to the guitar on that frayed wire, which accordign to my multimeter is making a solid connection... so i am kind of lost. plus when i touch the bridge the ground buzz stops, so that means the bridge is in the ground circuit...
that should work fine what you did with the bridge. I did something similar in a fuzz pedal i just finished making. I put the ground wire between the aluminum on a pot, and tightened it down and squeezeed it against the enclosure, works great haha...

But yea i'm out of ideas... a more extreme is that it could be the amp. Like the cable, if the grounding in the amp does have a good connection, it wouldn't give a good ground through the cable and thus to the guitar... but thats kinda extreme and a highly doubt would be an issue... But i'm really out of ideas...

Like you said it could be your soldering iron, but if you said that you checked it all the a multi meter I don think it would be a problem... meh im definately no expert on this but if i think of anything i'll let ya know... hah man i feel useless
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Invader Jim
I can't believe you guys don't know this.

The noise is supposed to stop when you touch metal. You wired it right the first time, TS.

This is right, but from the way i understood it, means that its really noticeable, which tbf most aren't. but if there's slight buzzing, which there generally is, it will go away when a metal part is touched, this proves that part is grounded.

I only can hear the buzzing noticeable when i've got distortion on, its got the generally buzz you get from it anyway, but decreases when a metal part is touched. Its unnoticeable on cleans.

But yea, if there's a just a bit of buzzing thats normal, if its unbearable then it maybe a cold soldier joint.
hi im new to this forum and i signed up just so i could reply this

mayby, your pick up is just a noisy piece of ****, it happend to me using som used pick ups
copper sheilding tape ftw!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Try bypassing the pot entirly. As in, solder the pup straight to the input jack. It eleminates on stage, if it still buzzes, then at least you know it ain't the pot.
When i installed my pups I had the same thing and it turned out to be that one of the three prongs that you solder to had bent a little and was touching the copper foil tape I had just installed as shielding as well. I guess I pushed on it at one point and bent it. Either way, bending it back up, and bending up all the others just incase solved my problem. Could possibly be the case with yours?
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Ground yourself to something else (metal pipe, whatever) and see if the buzz goes away. If it doesn't, the problem is in your guitar.