...so recently ive been coming up with some really good songs for both lead and rythm guitar, bass, and drums...the only problem is that i dont have a band so in order to record the songs i wuold have to record everything seperate by myself and layer it together...so i was wonderin if anyone had any suggestions about recording hardware/software to achieve what im trying to do...

oh and buyin things for thousands o dollars is out of the question...under 500 would be achievable
thanks for any help
i use the line 6 toneport through audicity, its decent enough
also, you might wanna go to riffs & recordings forum, you'll get better advice

edit: i also might want to add, i use a keyboard for drums, but its my sister's old one from a few years ago(like 7 or 8 years) so i dunno how much it would cost. You might want to ask a friend who has one if you can borrow it.
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Last edited by cap'n curry at Jun 2, 2008,
How many inputs do you need? A basic eight track machine from Boss or any good company will suffice. I own the Boss Micro BR which is basically a tiny studio with drum beats, effects and one input. You can record everything you need on it with hundreds of virtual tracks, but only four tracks in total. In other words, you can have Drums, guitar, bass and vocals.
Have you got any mics?
i have that same problem. i had info about a recording system called "Adaucity" [not sure if spelled correctly] it is pretty good. all u need is a mic and it should do good.
that or u can get urself a Mac... -.-
goodluck wit that
My band and I swear by Cakewalk... My pianist says Sony Acid is also very good but I've never used it myself... Anyway we usually use Cakewalk 2002, you should be able to find it on any file sharing website. Not the best or most user-friendly, but it gets the job done decently.
Easiest way to do this would be to get an audio interface (like the toneport) for your guitar and bass and get a program with a drum machine and program some electronic drums.

Total cost to you <150 depending on what interface you go for.
Audacity is a great free program. I used that all of the time before I got my macbook for college. Just google it.

My question is what equipment do you have? Do you have a guitar, bass, and appropriate amps, and a drum kit? If you have all that, I'd suggest you get a decent microphone first (I can't recommend anything specifically). Then, look into either an eight track or some sort of tone port blah blah thing.

I really can't recommend any specific products considering I'm a poor college student and am not experienced in shopping for these things.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Audacity is a great free program. I used that all of the time before I got my macbook for college. Just google it.

My question is what equipment do you have? Do you have a guitar, bass, and appropriate amps, and a drum kit? If you have all that, I'd suggest you get a decent microphone first (I can't recommend anything specifically). Then, look into either an eight track or some sort of tone port blah blah thing.

I really can't recommend any specific products considering I'm a poor college student and am not experienced in shopping for these things.

i have a guitar(epiphone) behringer gmx212 amp...pearl drum kit...and access to bass and amp