***skip to the bottom if you're feeling lazy***

So I've been playing acoustic for a bit now (1-2 years? I forget..) and, going off to college and all, I'm saving for an electric for myself. At the moment I'm thinking of getting a mexican fender strat of some sort. I play mostly classic rock and some early metal (iron maiden, early metallica, .....) _but_ I really like the clean sound, even if what I'm playing was originally played with a lot of OD/distortion/etc, and whenever I'm at gc I always try to go for a clean sound.

Basically, I'm looking for a practice amp/multi-effects device with a good clean sound, since that'll be what I'll be using the most probably. I'll be using headphones half or most of the time, so phone outs are a must. My budget's about $100-$200, _maybe_ a little more, but not likely. (yeah I know that's not much.)

I'm looking at the following atm:
Behringer V-Amp 2
Line 6 POD 2.0
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Peavey Valve King Royal 8
Epi Valve Jr.

I toyed around with the pod in-store, but I couldn't find a nice clean channel. Probably wasn't picking the right presets....

The only other one I've tried is the Vox, and I really liked the sound of it. I assume it has an out, since the 30 has it (gc.com doesn't have back pics for the 15..).

The VJ has a jack for speakers in the back.... can you stick headphones in there?

I've been hearing good things about tubes, but then (after a bunch of searching) I read that tubes have more of a slightly chunky/od'ed tone to them (probably using the wrong words to describe it...)

If you're too lazy to read...
Basically wondering if anyone could clear that up for me, and if anyone had anything to say about the cleans with the behringer and line6 devices. Feel free to suggest other options. I will definitely try to try the rest out the next time I'm at gc.
Behringers are very digital and unreliable. Iwas gonna get a V-Amp at one point, and im very glad I didnt. Tubes, when driven, have a great distorted tone, but are very clean when they are supposed to. Out of the ones you listed, I say a Royal 8, but a Blackheart Little Giant combo ($250) would give you a 3-band EQ, which is much better than just a tone knob.
Well I heard that the blackheart eq didn't respond too well (and it seems to be getting recommended for crunch/metal type sounds a lot). I was thinking getting a dano fish and chips eq pedal if I was gonna go tubular....(couldn't help it....)
bumpity bump?

So I went to gc the other day and tried the peavey, line6 pod, and a spider 3 (yeah I know...all the other amps were kinda taken).

The Peavey sounded pretty good. Not too fond of the OD/distortion sounds in general, but the Peavey sounded really nice and "natural" with the gain up. I'll have to try it again to see what other sounds I can get out of it.

The pod wasn't too bad. I managed to get a clean sound out of it, but it still sounded kinda funky (although that might just be me failing with the eq). The effects were fun, but not too useful.....

I'll be visiting gc again sometime soon to try the amps out some more. The Vox and Peavey sound similar enough to me that I can't really decide... So in the meantime...any more comments/advice?
Fender Champ 600. Assuming you just want a practice amp, this'll do it for you. Sweetest cleans I've ever heard, and works well at low volumes.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Doesn't look like it has a headphone jack, but I will look for it next time I'm at gc.
Keep an eye out for a Boss GT-6. You can score them used for about $180 and they have the best JC120 models I've heard (of course they should, since boss/roland makes the jc120). And with a little reverb/chorus/delay it sounds amazing.

There's also the GT-8, but it's a little out of your price range.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by platypus01
Doesn't look like it has a headphone jack, but I will look for it next time I'm at gc.

Ah, well, no it doesn't. Didn't know you wanted a headphone jack on it. Nice amp, though...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by platypus01

I don't believe the make any tube amp with headphone jacks. I think it'd fry the amp due to impedance issues.
The Vox Ad series have headphone outs I think. It's a hybrid though, not full on tube. It's not a bad practice amp really, especially if you don't want to lug around a bunch of effects and pedals. I don't think I'd gig with it though.