Hey, sorry but I'm new to this. I'm planning on getting a condenser microphone and preamp to start recording with.

Mic: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXLV63M-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158
Pre-amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Project-Series-Tube-MicrophoneInstrument-Preamp?sku=180643

I'm going to be recording mostly acoustic guitar and vocals, with some electric guitar and bass every now and then. My biggest question is whether these two things are a good set up for a beginner? If there is a good two channel pre-amp that would be awesome, because I want to be able to record in stereo but those seem to be really expensive, so I'm just going to get the single channel for now, unless there's a good one for a decent price?

Also, what brand of cable is considered good? I need to get one of those too.
let me make sure your not going to buy those and then use the sound card on you computer?
that would sound awefully bad.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
You'd need a computer interface, firewire or USB.

Assuming you're still running a stock sound card and not something high end you've bought and replaced of course.

Here's a thread in Riffs and Recordings all about rec. gear - while alot of it's high end, there are some budget items for computer interfacing.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Jun 2, 2008,
Yeah, that's the usb I'm talking about. You'll need a piece of hardware that interfaces your gear and the computer. It'll run mic >> preamp >> interface (via firewire or usb) >> computer

Running directly to your soundcard is a bad idea because they are not quality enough in most cases stock, it would probably distort (unpleasantly) if it didn't fry something running a preamp directly to it.
+1 to guitar/bass76
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
really? but my friend basically just plugs his shit into the PC. what kind of interface should I get?

also, original point of the topic: what do you think of the quality of the mic and pre-amp i'm planning on? although, honestly I'd prefer a pre-amp that has two channels? WHat kind do you guys use? Or maybe what is a good yet cheap two channel one?
Last edited by BravoSector at Jun 3, 2008,
if you are using a pre amp you should be ok to use your soundcard for an input. its not ideal but it will work. dont try it without a pre amp though. theres just not enough signal.

if you can afford it though, get a better soundcard. if you dont plan to move the computer around i'd get an internal PCI card. Echo and M-audio do some budget ones that will get you where you need to be and they are both easy to install and setup.
Thank you please.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Yeah, that's the usb I'm talking about. You'll need a piece of hardware that interfaces your gear and the computer. It'll run mic >> preamp >> interface (via firewire or usb) >> computer

Running directly to your soundcard is a bad idea because they are not quality enough in most cases stock, it would probably distort (unpleasantly) if it didn't fry something running a preamp directly to it.

-1 to guitar/bass76

If you're using something like the ART preamp and your sound card has a line in then that's EXACTLY WHAT IT'S FOR

TS, you'll be fine, the preamp will ensure you get a line-level signal and also allow you to adjust the input level to avoid clipping. You don't need a USB interface at all...nothing wrong with using one obviously but just because it's a computer doesn't mean everything has to be USB.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A usb interface depending on which one, would get you more inputs which is a good thing. I started out wth the lexicon omega 6 inputs with phantom power new $190.00 but can find used for considerabally less.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd