Page 1 of 3
I agree there may have been a thread like this before but screw it, I am too lazy to look so sue me. lol.

So anyways, what do your parents think about you playing your instruments? Are they supportive, not, maybe, w/e.. etc..?
They like it a lot. But they don't buy me anything... cept for a harmonica.

I'm old enough to buy things for myself.
They like it when I play acoustic stuff, but I mostly play metal and I don't think they like that too much. They especially hate the idea of spending so much money on guitar stuff
ive been playing for a little while now
my parents want to get me lessons
but i dont want them
ive done enough on my own, i dont need it
plus i enjoy the satisfaction of being self taught

yet at the same time, they are discouraging me
cause i want a new amp
but they dont want me to get it
they want me to get a new guitar
but ive done my homework, amp is more crucial to your sound than the guitar

oh well, in the end ill just do whatever the **** i want anyway
They've been pretty supportive. I usually buy most of my stuff unless it's for a b-day or Christmas. But if I'm short like $20 on a guitar or amp he'll chip in. They also don't seem to mind the noise.
Dad supports it, he'll buy strings/small things etc. We have a deal that I get enough for a VK 112 if I pass with all A's this semester, which I'm likely going to unless I bomb an exam bad. I'm thinking I'll just use the $$$ I have now and get a Buruga 333XL 212 combo though.

My mom on the other hand, thinks that it's a waste of time, and that I should be studying. Yeah, she doesn't know about my Dad giving me just over $400 to get an amp, and she won't until I bring it home and she goes "Uhh how did you afford that?"
They love it. I play mostly stuff they grew up with, so it's all good.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
My g-mom (Yes g-mom XD) will give me piano lessons
but not guitar lessons.
This gives me a definite edge in music theory
but sadly I can't learn guitar properly. Oh well
I don't even shred
Quote by aedmiston

that's a stupid attitude to have. I know parents can seem like they're hindering you from playing cause they wont let you blow $1000 on a tube amp like you want to. But tbh they know you're just starting to play and chances are you're gonna lose interest like a lot of teen guitarists. I think the major flaw parents seem to have is that they mistake passion for guitar as just another fad their kids will grow out of.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
They like my playing, but not the noise.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by shredhead22
that's a stupid attitude to have. I know parents can seem like they're hindering you from playing cause they wont let you blow $1000 on a tube amp like you want to. But tbh they know you're just starting to play and chances are you're gonna lose interest like a lot of teen guitarists. I think the major flaw parents seem to have is that they mistake passion for guitar as just another fad their kids will grow out of.

actually its a $900 amp i found on craigslist for $400
and ive done my homework, ive played all my friends gear, and i know what im doing
im entirely self taught, and im pretty ****in good too
i know what im doing, and i would do this for a living if i could
its my life now
Quote by aedmiston
actually its a $900 amp i found on craigslist for $400
and ive done my homework, ive played all my friends gear, and i know what im doing
im entirely self taught, and im pretty ****in good too
i know what im doing, and i would do this for a living if i could
its my life now

Forgive me for being skeptical, but how many 08ers do you thing there are on UG who've said the same thing only to go out and buy an MG or a spider.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
hell no, those are low end metal amps
im getting a fender blues reissue
my friend has the same amp(his is a deville, mines going to be a deluxe)
trust me, i know what im doing

oh, and the being good part, im not saying im malmsteen or lifeson, but im well past where every other person i know was when they were 3 months in
hahaha what a trip, im a dad, and my daughter is learning to play. she sounds like sh** right now but she can only improve. we bought her head phones, when she is ready and if she wants them we will get her lessons. i`ll support her guitar habit as long as she appreciates it, keeps playing and makes good grades. i`d much rather buy her a nice gibby les paul for 1500 dollars than a freekin car for graduation next year. ...is that so wronnnngggg.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
my parents are supportive and they let me spend my money on pretty much anything guitar related. so im pretty fortunate
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
My mom is also a guitar player, we learn things from each other all the time.
Plus we usually split the cost of stuff we both use, like we just bought a new Randall RG50TC (for $300, great deal) and we just trade it off whenever we need to.
Quote by mig-29
hahaha what a trip, im a dad, and my daughter is learning to play. she sounds like sh** right now but she can only improve. we bought her head phones, when she is ready and if she wants them we will get her lessons. i`ll support her guitar habit as long as she appreciates it, keeps playing and makes good grades. i`d much rather buy her a nice gibby les paul for 1500 dollars than a freekin car for graduation next year. ...is that so wronnnngggg.

If you get her the LP all you're spending is $1500. If you get her a car it would be $1500 + insurance and gas.
Quote by aedmiston
ive been playing for a little while now
my parents want to get me lessons
but i dont want them
ive done enough on my own, i dont need it
plus i enjoy the satisfaction of being self taught

yet at the same time, they are discouraging me
cause i want a new amp
but they dont want me to get it
they want me to get a new guitar
but ive done my homework, amp is more crucial to your sound than the guitar

oh man you kids make me laugh.
do you know how hard it is to really become a great guitar player without lesson?
im sure you will say "well jimi hendrix didnt take lessons" or something similar to that. but you see, these guys that changed the face of music happened to be musical geniuses, are you a genius? are you a prodigy? probably not. us regular guys need to take lessons.
lessons will teach you not to be cocky too.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jun 2, 2008,
nah im not a genius(at least i dont consider myself one) nor am i ignorant enough to pull the hendrix thing
but the stuff i dont know already, or cant learn on my own, i can learn from my friends for free

and im not a prodigy
i dont get theory
then again, i havent looked into it
but hey, ive got all summer
we'll see
Quote by aedmiston
nah im not a genius(at least i dont consider myself one) nor am i ignorant enough to pull the hendrix thing
but the stuff i dont know already, or cant learn on my own, i can learn from my friends for free

and im not a prodigy
i dont get theory
then again, i havent looked into it
but hey, ive got all summer
we'll see

yeah your friends are probably great teachers, and probably have a degree in music.
you should take one month of lessons, do it open mindedly, and see how much you have improved. or maybe you wont. you should at least try.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
this is not worth arguing
youre about as close minded as i am
im deadset on not taking lessons
you think lessons are the ****
well, neither of us are changing our minds, so im just going to leave it at that
Quote by aedmiston
this is not worth arguing
youre about as close minded as i am
im deadset on not taking lessons
you think lessons are the ****
well, neither of us are changing our minds, so im just going to leave it at that

im not close minded. i said try them, and maybe youll improve, maybe you wont. theres only one way to find out.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
My parents hate metal, but they are completely supportive. They however don't like that im thinking of leaving my web design, job, and my graphics school, to go into the music territory. But they support me anyways, cause they tell me to go for what makes me happiest.
i wish i could get lessons.. but pullin these 12 hour days and stuff is killin me. that and im making nothing an hour, so i couldn't afford it anyway...

oh well. im reading books though, and trying to teach myself theory, and all the notes names on the fret board, solos and all that stuff...

and way, back on topic.

My parents seem cool with it. My dad is hard to read about everything, but he usually seems proud of me when i play infront of people ( i filled in a gig for his buddies blues band)
My mom loves it. i play alot of metal and numetal stuff (tool, deftones, killswitch, etc.) and she loves that stuff. i also play some classic rock and i just discovered how much fun blues really are, and she likes that too haha. and they bough me alot of gear when i was younger, but now i have to buy it haha
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Quote by chea_man
yeah your friends are probably great teachers, and probably have a degree in music.
you should take one month of lessons, do it open mindedly, and see how much you have improved. or maybe you wont. you should at least try.

Don't take this personally, but you came off as more of an asshole than the guy you were quoting. Lessons aren't everything. Learning on your own without the expensive fees and possible hindering mannerisms and biased musical tastes that will be passed down from 'professionals' can yield great rewards as well. Also, not every genre of music requires extensive music theory outside of basic chord progressions, and basic scales such as minor pentatonic and blues.

Don't be so elitist...
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Quote by Eddy372
Don't take this personally, but you came off as more of an asshole than the guy you were quoting. Lessons aren't everything. Learning on your own without the expensive fees and possible hindering mannerisms and biased musical tastes that will be passed down from 'professionals' can yield great rewards as well. Also, not every genre of music requires extensive music theory outside of basic chord progressions, and basic scales such as minor pentatonic and blues.

Don't be so elitist...

thanks man

also, i dont have time for lessons in the school year
pre-ap/AP classes keep me busy
Quote by Eddy372

Don't be so elitist...

i told him to give them a chance, maybe they will help him, maybe they wont, i said you should try. i wasnt trying to be an asshole.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Thats how you ended up.

Unless you have a REALLY good teacher, I'd agree lessons are a waste of time.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
My dad is the one who got me to start playing, and if I learned a single song on my own lol He said, he would let me pick any guitar i wanted as long as it was less than 2,000. So I learned to play Knights of Cydonia, becuase I *heart* MUSE, I saw them 4 times last year at the Forum, Irvine, San Diego and Gibson Amphitheater. So I couldn't decide between a Stratocaster or an SG. I really like how Eric Clapton plays and Jimi Hendrix as well, and since they are both Gods, i figured, if a Stratocaster is what the Gods play, I might as well start with one. I also got to keep my brother's Schecter C-1+ and his GDEC. Then my dad gave me his Fender Stage 1000 and didn't like the Vox Valvetronix XL I told him to get, so he gave me that one and got the normal one.

Now I am saving money, to buy a guitar with my own money, and I really want the Epiphone SG Prophecy EX.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Being that my dad was obsessed with the guitar himself since the age of 13, he is quite supportive. He is currently does sound mixing for promos at NBC, so music has always been and is still part of his life and will be for me also.
Lol. My parents aren't supportive. At all. I buy everything myself. They havent spent a penny on my stuff. Not to mention, they hate everything I've ever written, and they hate every cover I do. But oh well. And i just thought I'd throw my opinion in... I think lessons help some people... maybe... but I tried that **** and my teacher was a major asshole from hell. he would randomly break out into solos in the middle of lessons, and I learned nothing. However, I still made it this far without giving up. I'm in a great band [even though we're not **great** yet, if u know what i mean], I've written 10 songs for my band, lyrics and instrumental parts [for all isntruments. Bass, Drums, and Guitar. Ocasionally Keyboard pieces] and we are loved by our very small fan base who wishes they could be us, no matter how small time we still are. And guess what??? As I said, I'm 99.9% self taught. However, I'm not saying lessons dont work for everyone. they work for some, they dont for others. If you want to be a musician, you will find a way to be a musician. Just like anything else in life.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Last edited by Lolopop at Jun 3, 2008,
My mom also plays guitar. She plays mellow stuff like classical and country on accoustic, and I play metal and punk on electric... It kinda makes her mad, but I keep the volume down. I'm planning on moving out soon anyway. But overall she's supportive.
My mother got me into metal and my father plays guitar. Needless to say they are hella supportive and bought me my first SG.
Gibson.
parents paid for half of my first stuff so like $300 and occasionally if i ask them they will pay for little things strings picks etc
but still they don't buy me much im not one of those lucky one that parents buy them cars, pay for petrol, buy them a computer when they are like 12 and don't need it.

trying to work out a deal to get them to pay for some of my new guitar or amp
at the moment not going well
My dad loves it... as long as I'm not playing while he wants me to be doing chores, eating dinner, or anything else. My mom is just happy as long as I am, so yeah, I lucked out as far as parents are concerned. Of course, they're not shelling over thousands of dollars for a tube amp of anything, I make my own money, but they're there for emotional support, and thats the best kind!

As far as lessons go, I thought I'd give some input. I've been playing for about four or five months, in that time I've taken lessons and taught myself, for a while at the start the lessons weren't set but now I have em down to a good once a week schedule. Maybe I just have a good teacher, but as far as I'm concerned, lessons are very valuable. You can't expect to just get all your info from the lessons and ONLY practice what your teacher gives you, I'd say I'm probably 75% self taught despite taking lessons, but the 25% you get from lessons is something you can't get anywhere else. If you've got the kind of teacher you should have, he's not just going to teach you guitar techniques, he'll let you discover the kind of music you love, he'll teach you to deal with all the types of people you'll meet in your musical career and he'll teach you how the whole environment works.

A few licks or a chord progression or how to hammer on and pull off, that stuff is easy you can learn that from UG. But the real lessons about growing up as a musician are extremely hard to learn unless you have a teacher. And besides that, if you've got a good teacher, he'll help you make your debut on the music scene once you're ready. If you're teacher plays with local bands, he can always set you up for a jam session, and that may be just the break you need to really get started with your music career.
My parents only ever bought me one thing and that was my second amp, a 120w Kustom SS head and a Celestion Loaded 4x12. The only reason I got that was cos it was silly cheap in the local free ads and it was my birthday comming up. Everything else I had to source myself, and I do mean everything else which sucks cos my Dad, god rest his soul was a guitarist but he refused to teach me a thing even though I bugged him since I was 4 years old to teach me.

It took till I was 13 and we moved into a new house for me to finally start and that only happened as the previous residents were kind enough to leave a plywood strat, a 10w SS practise amp a lead and a chord book up in their loft for me to find. Parents then spent their time rufusing to get me lessons or any new gear.

All iv heard from them in the 15 years since is moans for being too loud and recently the odd comment of that sounded better than the usual noise. No real encouragement to be honest.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by shredhead22
Forgive me for being skeptical, but how many 08ers do you thing there are on UG who've said the same thing only to go out and buy an MG or a spider.

What does being an 08er have to do with anything. I'm a 08er and I've been playing guitar since 1997.

Quote by chea_man
oh man you kids make me laugh.
do you know how hard it is to really become a great guitar player without lesson?
im sure you will say "well jimi hendrix didnt take lessons" or something similar to that. but you see, these guys that changed the face of music happened to be musical geniuses, are you a genius? are you a prodigy? probably not. us regular guys need to take lessons.
lessons will teach you not to be cocky too.

See that's where you're wrong. It's regular guys who take lessons because regular guys aren't passionate or driven enough to learn on their own. If you have internet access, you have the means to learn anything you'd ever want to know about theory; if you have half a brain, it's not that hard to figure out on your own. The people who are mostly self-taught that are often most creative.

Quote by chea_man

Why don't you open you mind... teach your-self for a month and see how much you improve. I'm not saying lessons are good for nothing... but anyone who is truly passionate about playing guitar is capable of learning on thier own.
Page 1 of 3