Hey I just have a few questions before I order everything to build this guitar!
I'm planning to build a replica of the original EVH Black and White Strat, but I'm stuck on what Trem to use. I'm on the fence. On one side is the Floyd Rose Original with a D-Tuna System or on the other is the Fender Vintage Tremolo, or the newer version (whatever works). I'm just stuck because well..if I decided to get the Vintage trem then it would not only save me money but save me a LOT of time, but I really do dive bombs sometimes and I don't know if the locking tuners will be good enough.

I like the floyd because of the fact that it has great tuning stability and the D-tuna system is really nice to have! But the problem with this is that I don't know when I'll be able to have the money to afford this, I only have enough for the build with the Vintage Trem and Locking Tuners. Also the Maple Neck would be a hell of a lot easier to get without the floyd style...and less hassle too (sure I'll get the Body from Warmoth but the Neck...from eBay...I'm not paying over 200$ for a neck I can grab for 120$).

So any advice is suggested, and even for painting as well. I'm new to the idea of wet sanding, how does it work? Like is it difficult? How much should I wet sand after each colour?

And about the shine, after I finish with the clear coat do I just polish it with this automotive thing (The name just slipped my mind) until I can see myself?

I may have more questions, this will be my first build.

Thanks for looking, I really look forward to this summer project.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by racerXazn
Hey I just have a few questions before I order everything to build this guitar!
I'm planning to build a replica of the original EVH Black and White Strat, but I'm stuck on what Trem to use. I'm on the fence. On one side is the Floyd Rose Original with a D-Tuna System or on the other is the Fender Vintage Tremolo, or the newer version (whatever works). I'm just stuck because well..if I decided to get the Vintage trem then it would not only save me money but save me a LOT of time, but I really do dive bombs sometimes and I don't know if the locking tuners will be good enough.

I like the floyd because of the fact that it has great tuning stability and the D-tuna system is really nice to have! But the problem with this is that I don't know when I'll be able to have the money to afford this, I only have enough for the build with the Vintage Trem and Locking Tuners. Also the Maple Neck would be a hell of a lot easier to get without the floyd style...and less hassle too (sure I'll get the Body from Warmoth but the Neck...from eBay...I'm not paying over 200$ for a neck I can grab for 120$).

So any advice is suggested, and even for painting as well. I'm new to the idea of wet sanding, how does it work? Like is it difficult? How much should I wet sand after each colour?

And about the shine, after I finish with the clear coat do I just polish it with this automotive thing (The name just slipped my mind) until I can see myself?

I may have more questions, this will be my first build.

Thanks for looking, I really look forward to this summer project.

I just made the black and white version. If you wanna stick true to the original, the original black and white guitar didnt have a floyd. As far as the paint job, Go black first, about 3-5 coats. Tape off your stripes, and then 3-5 coats of white. If you wanna clear coat it thats your call. I didnt and it looks fine. But then again, I was trying to make a replica. I dont know if thats what your shooting for. Its really fun so enjoy it. Once you make one, youll be hooked.
Guitars:
ESP KH602 (Skull and Cross Bone inlays, Floyd, EMG 81's)
Hamer Slammer W/ Floyd Rose Trem.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

Pedals:
Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Make sure you tape is stuck good on your stripes or your lines will look like garbage.
Guitars:

Pedals:
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Quote by mnoel2008
I just made the black and white version. If you wanna stick true to the original, the original black and white guitar didnt have a floyd. As far as the paint job, Go black first, about 3-5 coats. Tape off your stripes, and then 3-5 coats of white. If you wanna clear coat it thats your call. I didnt and it looks fine. But then again, I was trying to make a replica. I dont know if thats what your shooting for. Its really fun so enjoy it. Once you make one, youll be hooked.

thanks for the advice!
I guess I'm looking to put sort of a really nice factory-ish finish, I'm trying to make one that will last and has great playability. Yeah I know how Floyds weren't invented when he made it, but how is the trem for dive bombs? How do the locking tuners hold up?
Quote by mnoel2008
Make sure you tape is stuck good on your stripes or your lines will look like garbage.

yeah I plan on using electrical tape actually.
i used a vintage trem on mine and i'm buying locking tuners for it tomorow. the vintage trem and locking tuners should work good as long as the nut and saddles are lubricated good
You could always install a hipshot trem setter if youre really worried about it going out of tune, they are the best thing out there for any trem equipped guitars.
Just call me Mr Sambo.....

Check out my profile for my covers!
bump.
Thanks for the advice so far, I dont like the hipshot though...
id still get a floyd to be honest
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
a wilkinson with a graphite nut and lockkin tuners
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
how about a super vee locking trem there more like 2-point vintage trems and lock and come with a nut!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
how about a super vee locking trem there more like 2-point vintage trems and lock and come with a nut!

I've seen it but I'm not sure, I'd rather get a floyd then that because I won't be able to test it or anything. Besides its a EVH replica, there were no Super Vee's when he built the guitar.

Just also for practicality and playability, thats the two major things I'm considering when making this guitar. I want to be able to play it eh
Last edited by racerXazn at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by racerXazn
yeah I plan on using electrical tape actually.

Get some painters tape or electrical tape will take the black paint off.
Guitars:

Pedals:
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Quote by mnoel2008
Get some painters tape or electrical tape will take the black paint off.

Wouldnt it be hard to get the painter's tape around the horns though?
I don't remember where I saw it, but recently I read on a website the history of Eddie's original frankenstrat and it was pretty cool to read. It was something like he painted it black and then taped it off and painted it white, then I don't remember what else... :P Look it up and you will probably find it. It might have been wikipedia...

If your going for a factory finish though, I don't know if following exactly what he did would be the best idea.

If you plan on making it a accurate replica, look closely at pictures of it (such as the cover of the debut album and others from around '78). If it was a fender vintage trem, then that's what I would go with, and I'm sure locking tuners wouldn't be too bad. I find on my strat knock-off, the trem dive bombs just fine. But then again, I'm also not used to a floyd rose...

Anyways, can't wait to see some pics! This sounds like it will be an exciting build to watch. I'm planing on doing a firebird this summer with my dad. I'm also planing on making some EVH custom red converse hi-tops soon :P Good luck with the build!
Quote by RIP_bonham
I don't remember where I saw it, but recently I read on a website the history of Eddie's original frankenstrat and it was pretty cool to read. It was something like he painted it black and then taped it off and painted it white, then I don't remember what else... :P Look it up and you will probably find it. It might have been wikipedia...

If your going for a factory finish though, I don't know if following exactly what he did would be the best idea.

If you plan on making it a accurate replica, look closely at pictures of it (such as the cover of the debut album and others from around '78). If it was a fender vintage trem, then that's what I would go with, and I'm sure locking tuners wouldn't be too bad. I find on my strat knock-off, the trem dive bombs just fine. But then again, I'm also not used to a floyd rose...

Anyways, can't wait to see some pics! This sounds like it will be an exciting build to watch. I'm planing on doing a firebird this summer with my dad. I'm also planing on making some EVH custom red converse hi-tops soon :P Good luck with the build!

Ha It'll be a While, plan to order the body this weekend actually. I'm going for the vintage trem, no money for the floyd...sigh...and the neck...gotta order that later...probably will end up getting it from warmoth too or some toher place for cheap necks...sigh

Good luck on your build though! sounds really sweet!!!
Quote by racerXazn
Wouldnt it be hard to get the painter's tape around the horns though?

You have to cut it and piece it. But trust me you dont wanna use electrical tape.
Guitars:

Pedals:
BOSS ML-2
MXR EVH Phase 90

Amps:
Marshall MG 250 DFX
Quote by mnoel2008
You have to cut it and piece it. But trust me you dont wanna use electrical tape.

alright thanks for the tip.

I'm stuck, is the Wilkinson trem really all that good? Like easy to set up, tuning stability, etc. I'm ordering the body tonight so a quick response would be great