I play a Squier Strat right now, and don't get me wrong, I think everyone should start off with a guitar like that. Very comfortable to play. But now that I'm a lot more experienced I'm looking into buying a different guitar, and I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to an Ibanez RG1570 and a Jackson DKMG Dinky. Can anyone give me a comparison of the two, personal experiences, what you prefer, etc.? I'm leaning towards the Jackson right now, but I want some other opinions. Also, at the same time I'm kind of concerned about getting a Floyd Rose bridge, since everyone tells me they're a bitch to tune, and I change the tuning of my guitar probably two or three times a day.

I need a guitar with 24 frets for playing metal and occasionally blues/classic rock. If anyone knows any guitars besides these two that I should check out, don't hesitate to mention it, as long as we're not looking at much over $800 CDN.

Hell, while we're at it, can anyone compare Seymour Duncan pickups to EMGs for me?
I'll tell you what most people here seem to say.. look into Schecters.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Tbh, you wont change tunings as much with two guitars.

Use the squier for your tuning-changer lol, and keep the other one with floyd rose as your straight dropped D, dropped C type thing.

I'd say the jackson, jsust cos i prefer em.
Forget a guitar equipped with a locking nut if you want to tune it differently, floyd roses are made to be adjusted to a specific string gauge and a specific tuning, change one, or both, and the parts will wear incorrectly and very quickly, not to mention the bridge won't be at a normal level if you detune only one string.

A non-whammy-equipped guitar should be the way to go if you want to get a good sound all-around with your different tunings (though constantly changing the tension is still not the best idea out there). As for emgs the best (or worse in my opinion :P) thing I can say is that your guitar will have a battery slot on its back, without it those pickups are dead.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Don't get a Floyd Rose if you plan on tuning it every day. You have to unscrew bolts and everything... big hassle. Also it's a pain to have it set up right and it's easy to break.

They sound good but I'm not a fan. My guitar with a Floyd Rose ended up breaking when my cousin was tweaking on it. I mean shouldn't it be designed to take a good tweaking once or twice?

I dunno, I would stay away from a Floyd Rose if you want to tune everyday, they're good to keep in one tuning imo.
get a schecter c1 hellraiser!
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
i'm quite fond of jacksons...i don't own one, but everytime i pay a visit to my local gc, i got one in my hands, i'm thinking about buying one myself, i don't like b.c. riches (personal experience, not bandwagon)

if you change tunings a load, don't go with a floyd rose, unless you wanna keep using your squier
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Look into schecter man, they are built alot better and about the same cost. I would recommend the Hellraiser. But as too the question, go with the jackson, much faster neck, and much better tremlo in my opinion. The ibanez is going to be made out of a cheaper wood as well which will make the jackson sound much better
Quote by Gäbe
Forget a guitar equipped with a locking nut if you want to tune it differently, floyd roses are made to be adjusted to a specific string gauge and a specific tuning, change one, or both, and the parts will wear incorrectly and very quickly, not to mention the bridge won't be at a normal level if you detune only one string.

A non-whammy-equipped guitar should be the way to go if you want to get a good sound all-around with your different tunings (though constantly changing the tension is still not the best idea out there). As for emgs the best (or worse in my opinion :P) thing I can say is that your guitar will have a battery slot on its back, without it those pickups are dead.

I play a lot of Boston and Bodom though, so I need a whammy. And would it be possible for me to swap out the EMG 81/85 set for some passive Seymour Duncans?
it would be easier to get the schecter c-1 that has the passives
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead