I was searching through the forums to find a Deftones thread and I couldn't see anything that represented one... UG needs one.

Here's my favorite albums in order:

1) Around the Fur (Best song, Around the Fur&Be Quiet and Drive)
2) White Pony (Best song, Change&Passenger or Knife Party))
3) Deftones (Best song, Hexagram&When Girls Telephone Boys or Lucky You)
4) Saturday Night Wrist (Best song, Hole in the Earth&Beware)
5) Adrenaline (Best song, 7 Words&Bored)
6) B Side & Rarities (Best song, Wax and Wayne, Savory, Sinatra or The Chauffeur)
7) Mini Maggot (Best song, Back to School)

I would love to here some comments and see some pictures with gig reports and whatever on the best band ever, so thanks.
My Own Summer is a kickass song by them. Is it on the Around the Fur album? if not i know that it's definitely on The Matrix soundrtack.
Knife Party rocks too.

and does anyone know what tuning Deftones play in? is it in Drop C or Drop D or what?
This should be in nu-metal, i remember there being a thread for them cause i posted in it.

I personally would put Deftones first, one of the best albums i have ever heard, not a bad track on it., bloody cape, hexagram, needles and pins, minerva, battle axe etc. all great. Then probably White Pony, Around the Fur, Saturday Night Wrist, B-sides, Mini Maggot, Adrenaline - i used to like it alot but not so much anymore.
I'd've said Nu-Metal too, but that place is so dead I'll leave this a while and see if it gets any sort of response.

I'm not a fan of them, but I saw them at Download and they were pretty good.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
big influence on me. i can't put into words how much i love them.

i have: their self-titled and white pony.
i've only got a few songs by them, but i'm really digging "My Own Summer" and "Be Quiet and Drive".

Got any more reccomendations?
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm about 5' 4" and have slightly furry feet.....I'm not going in a ****ing volcano though...

I love the Foo's!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
I love the deftones.

Have seen em live 3 times, twice in Glasgow and once in London.

One of the Glasgow gigs was really shitty, Chino spent alot of time sitting on the floor behind his little platform thing and I couldn't really see him from where I was (front and center) and seemed really lackluster and shit really. Chi Cheng took over alot of the "front man" type roles that night.

The other two gigs were bad ass though.

I have some decent pics from one of the gigs, I'll upload some later today when I can be arsed trawling through my complete state of a pictures folder.

I think I originally got into them around the time of the big nu-metal wave around about 1999-2001. White Pony had just come out. I've still got this old tatty White pony hoody that I wear semi-regularly. It's got holes under both arms and one of the sleves is slowly unravelling at the seam, but damn it is the most comfortable hoody I ever owned.
Quote by backswmr360
i've only got a few songs by them, but i'm really digging "My Own Summer" and "Be Quiet and Drive".

Got any more reccomendations?
If you like those just get the whole "Around the Fur" album. It's awesome.

Other stuff you might like:

Knife Party

Change (In the House of Flies)

Feiticeira

Deathblow

Moana

Root

Bored

That should keep you going.
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Jun 4, 2008,
They are a very unrated band. Have they announced the exact date of when their new album is coming out?
Quote by str84ever
This should be in nu-metal, i remember there being a thread for them cause i posted in it.

I personally would put Deftones first, one of the best albums i have ever heard, not a bad track on it., bloody cape, hexagram, needles and pins, minerva, battle axe etc. all great. Then probably White Pony, Around the Fur, Saturday Night Wrist, B-sides, Mini Maggot, Adrenaline - i used to like it alot but not so much anymore.

I was thinking about putting them in Nu-Metal, but I think there more Alternative Modern Rock than Nu-Metal. And like you said, that forum seems to die all the time.
Awesome pics. There are all getting a wee bit fat aren't they! A true rock band! Non of this, tuned up bodies and pecs rigged to explode business! These guys are the real deal.
Hey did you guys here about the accident Chi Cheng was in early this month? He was involved in a car accident and was in a coma for a few days. Apparently he is in stable condition as of now and the doctors are staying optimistic. I was really excited about the new Deftones album "Eros" Due this winter and now I'm very saddened to hear this . If you believe, say a prayer for him and his loved ones, and hope for a fast and full recovery!
Yep, I did here about it. It may sound selfish but I hope it doesn't detere the new album from being the best they can come up with. Under the circumstances, I still think they will do their best to help Chi recover and to release another awesome album.
^ Think they have most of the ideas down, so it shouldn't affect the album style or quality too much hopefully. Just hope Chi recovers fully.

And being my first post, i love this band and how they have been able to change their style on every album. Definitely one of my favourite bands. Last album was great and hopefully 'Eros' can be another great album.
It's gonna be a blue day
I don't reckon it's childish to have a favourite band when it's Deftones.

They just change, it's never for the better or for worse, which is always the best transition to go through. There's so many bands that 'change' but they're energy disappears in amongst the new sounds and new ideas.
On every record, no matter how different everything is; from the producing, to the guitar tones, to the synth, they still maintained a bristling energy that I have never found another band deliver.
I love these guys, but I'm still stuck in the NoOb stage liking all the hit songs and what not.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I like to watch Deftones progress by the amount of weight put on by Chino

Engine No. 9 has to be my favourite song by them, Passenger a close second.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by soundgarden19
I love these guys, but I'm still stuck in the NoOb stage liking all the hit songs and what not.

There's no shame in that; all their hits are still great songs. I still treasure Change as much as I treasure, say, Needles and Pins.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Yep, I did here about it. It may sound selfish but I hope it doesn't detere the new album from being the best they can come up with. Under the circumstances, I still think they will do their best to help Chi recover and to release another awesome album.

I don't think it's selfish at all. I have been anticipating their new album and the first thing that crossed my mind was, "would it affect the album progress" I just hope everything is alright with them. I've admired their work for so long and it would be horrible if anyone let anything happen to a single member! If anything I'm sure it will strengthen their relationships- these things always seem to have a positive affect when they're over.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
There's no shame in that; all their hits are still great songs. I still treasure Change as much as I treasure, say, Needles and Pins.

I agree- all the more power to the deftones- as long as people like their music and aren't just hopping on the bandwagon. I hear Yankees fans do that lol
Yeah, once I get some albums that will change.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I agree- all the more power to the deftones- as long as people like their music and aren't just hopping on the bandwagon. I hear Yankees fans do that lol

I can't imagine many people hopping on the bandwagon for Deftones, the music and image is too perculiar. Plus, they're aren't that many fans who are 'cool' and 'hip'. I still see them as an underground band.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I don't think it's selfish at all. I have been anticipating their new album and the first thing that crossed my mind was, "would it affect the album progress" I just hope everything is alright with them. I've admired their work for so long and it would be horrible if anyone let anything happen to a single member! If anything I'm sure it will strengthen their relationships- these things always seem to have a positive affect when they're over.

Maybe it will. They all seem to be very close - of course they get on each others nerves, as is always the case - and they seem particularly emotional people; attaching themselves to things very deeply and senstively.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I can't imagine many people hopping on the bandwagon for Deftones, the music and image is too perculiar. Plus, they're aren't that many fans who are 'cool' and 'hip'. I still see them as an underground band.

Maybe it will. They all seem to be very close - of course they get on each others nerves, as is always the case - and they seem particularly emotional people; attaching themselves to things very deeply and senstively.

I think deftones has exploded over the years- but I still see them as underground too- but that's just my mentality from when I got into their music. Doesn't every band get on eachothers nerves once in a while? They must have a pretty good bond, they haven't broken up yet lol.
The interviews you read, particularly with Stephen, you receive a certain method to their madness. You get the impression Carpenter doesn't like Chino but he obviously does, they just went through a period where Chino had taken control - maybe overtly so?
They have definitely exploded; they have changed dramatically. Adding another member was probably one of the causes of that. Chino started playing guitar as well, which must of added a hugely different atmostphere and soundscape to their writing methods.
I've only been into Deftones for about eight months, personally. I see them as Underground because of how off-putting and obscurely relatable their music and overal sound is. Their influences are so varied and odd that it combines to create something that is totally unique and unatainable by anyone else.
The guest performances on their records probably got them a few more fans.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The interviews you read, particularly with Stephen, you receive a certain method to their madness. You get the impression Carpenter doesn't like Chino but he obviously does, they just went through a period where Chino had taken control - maybe overtly so?

I was reading an interview with Stef, who had just finished a gig. He was pretty pissed off going on about how the crowd only shouts Chino's name and about his level creative control input. Hopefully they do like each other, they've been around for an exceptionally long time. 20 years with all original members is a commendable thing.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Chino is a very chant-able name, though. Plus, Chino is the lead singer, he is the main characteristic of the band when playing live; the front-man. It's pretty understandable why he would be favoured over the other members - who are more likely to stay in the background and do their 'tang!
Stef must be a little jealous, which is entirely comprehensible for him to do.
Like you say, they have gone through a lot and have come out twenty years later with the best band on the planet and have retained a strong relationship. Very commendable.
White Pony changed my life. It sounds like a bad emo cliche, but without that album I never would have picked up a guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Ain't nothing wrong with cliches when they are real. It's rare to find a person who was encouraged to play the guitar because of Detones. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never met anyone that would say that, other than yourself, of course.