I just finished recording my first song and would like some opinions...I don't have vocals yet and the guitar solo is not final. The song is on my profile under "testing".

Thanks
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
thats really good what did you use to record it?
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Quote by punkmetalA7X91
thats really good what did you use to record it?

A Line 6 toneport with a Shure SM57 mic for the guitar and bass, my friend recorded the drum part with his stuff (i don't know what though)
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
not bad.. the tone sounds pretty flat to me though, dunno if thats more caused by recording equipment (i dont really have a recording setup so i know its frustrating to end up with that sound), but i think a harsher tone would go well for the rhythm. maybe bridge pickup if it wasnt already on?.. the tone suits the lead better id say.

the chromatic riff works if that's what you're going for, but for me hearing chromaticism in such a straightforward way is a little boring (no offense though man, just offering advice!) it might be more adventerous to instead drop in chromatic chords/notes in the riff elswheres and make it sound not as just straight down. if you wanna check out the song Five Magics by Megadeth, the part where hes all 'gimme sorcery, gimme etc' i think its brilliant chromaticism and could be good inspiration. chromatic riffs are something you really have to experiment with i guess.

and i know you said the solos not final, but with a progression that goes outside of straight minor pentatonic such a bluesy solo can lose its spice. its hard to find ways to get out of the pentatonic boxes and such but dabble with other notes from the minor scale, or any scale you want, really! but there were some nice licks in it, i think you're on your way pretty well for improvising because there was pretty neat phrasing in a few spots, like starting at 2:17. take a simple lick and just repeat and expand on it as you follow your ear, good way to break out of pentatonics if you work in some other notes too

btw i dig the drums, i dont play myself but i think they sounded pretty cool, especially the breakdown part near the end
Quote by Ead
not bad.. the tone sounds pretty flat to me though, dunno if thats more caused by recording equipment (i dont really have a recording setup so i know its frustrating to end up with that sound), but i think a harsher tone would go well for the rhythm. maybe bridge pickup if it wasnt already on?.. the tone suits the lead better id say.

the chromatic riff works if that's what you're going for, but for me hearing chromaticism in such a straightforward way is a little boring (no offense though man, just offering advice!) it might be more adventerous to instead drop in chromatic chords/notes in the riff elswheres and make it sound not as just straight down. if you wanna check out the song Five Magics by Megadeth, the part where hes all 'gimme sorcery, gimme etc' i think its brilliant chromaticism and could be good inspiration. chromatic riffs are something you really have to experiment with i guess.

and i know you said the solos not final, but with a progression that goes outside of straight minor pentatonic such a bluesy solo can lose its spice. its hard to find ways to get out of the pentatonic boxes and such but dabble with other notes from the minor scale, or any scale you want, really! but there were some nice licks in it, i think you're on your way pretty well for improvising because there was pretty neat phrasing in a few spots, like starting at 2:17. take a simple lick and just repeat and expand on it as you follow your ear, good way to break out of pentatonics if you work in some other notes too

btw i dig the drums, i dont play myself but i think they sounded pretty cool, especially the breakdown part near the end

Thanks for the comment man
Yea, i spent a long time trying to get a good tone but at the end that was the best tone i got. Most of my riffs are not chromatic so this is really the fist time that i´m trying to incorporate chromatic riffs to my songs. Thanks for the comment and advice, i´m gonna check out that megadeth song
-Homer Simpson