Hello, what does a preamp do, and if I added one to a half-stack, would it improve sound quality (distortion/tone)? Thanks
Amp lesson:

A fully functioning amplification system for an instrument has three basic parts. A pre-amp, and power amp, and speakers.

A pre-amp is basically what shapes your tone. All the EQing and whatnot.
A power amp is what boosts that signal and drives it through the speakers so it can be heard.

Getting a new pre-amp will really only help if your amp is bad. Or if you want a different sound.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by acdcrocks0323
It is one half of an amp. It doesn't do anything to tone. It is needed for any kind of sound. Let me guess. You have a crappy Marshall MG halfstack and you want better tone? Get a new amp.

tool.

I don't know the best answer for your question, but I'm fairly confident thats not the right one. Google or Wikipedia have plenty of information.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
Quote by maggot2011
The power amp is where most of the tone comes from so... no.

Wrong.

The preamp, soundwise, plays a very large part on your tone, it will INDEED (if of good quality) improve tone. Drastically? Yes, it's possible.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Wrong.

The preamp, soundwise, plays a very large part on your tone, it will INDEED (if of good quality) improve tone. Drastically? Yes, it's possible.

Ah, sorry about that then. When you're wrong you're wrong.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
What I meant is that ADDING a preamp wouldn't really help. And I found out by reading another of his threads that he has a Flexwave halfstack so he definatly wants a new amp, not just a new, cheap, slighty better preamp.

Maybe he's not talking about a 'slightly better' pre-amp. Maybe he's talking about a Mesa Triaxis, or a Bogner Fish, or an Egnater M4.. all of which run upwards of $1500.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Maybe he's not talking about a 'slightly better' pre-amp. Maybe he's talking about a Mesa Triaxis, or a Bogner Fish, or an Egnater M4.. all of which run upwards of $1500.

Then he might as well get a new amp .
Quote by MoFly41
tool.

ya but the tool is probably right

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I can say from personal experience that a preamp can help the guitar signal. I started using a preamp to simply put a clean boost on my guitar signal before my normal effects and it does wonders for sustain. I can hear that a boosted signal allows more of the tone to come through as well. It's stronger and a bit more harmonic. Thick, rich and buttery, too.

I use the Baggs preamp in my sig which is a high impedance input FET buffer preamp for acoustic pickup signals but it also works nicely on electric guitar and bass.