So i am officially out of school and i have alot of free time on my hands. All i want to do is practice guitar to get good so when i go to a music college i wont suck. With all my time i always see myself learning new songs or writing new crap songs. I wanna get good overall. I dont want to be the fastest, cleanest, best guitarist ever i just wanna have something to do to work at being all those things any tips on becoming better cause i know to practice i just dont know what to practice
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
work on technique. "First start with technique, Speed, and eventually Expression, will follow."-Joe Satriani, my hero.
Quote by :-D
Well, what exactly are your goals? "Good overall" doesn't say much. We'll need a more specific question, please.

My goals are to play faster, play ALOT cleaner, and to somehow learn how to write better. Its not about being a better guitarist its more about being a better musician
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by Tig Bitties
My goals are to play faster, play ALOT cleaner, and to somehow learn how to write better. Its not about being a better guitarist its more about being a better musician

For faster and cleaner, technique is the key. Try Steve Vai's 10-hour workout and pick up Terry Syrek's book "Shred is Not Dead", they'll keep you busy. Also worth looking into are Paul Gilbert's "Intense Rock", John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" and Marty Friedman's "Melodic Control". Buy a metronome, practice slowly and cleanly and it'll work itself out. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

As for being a better musician, learn some music theory. I'd recommend the theory sticky at the top of this forum as well as the book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.