I was looking to by a Taylor ce, probably a 100 or 200, and was wondering if it was worth the money of if there were just as good or better guitars out there for the same price.
Epiphone masterbilts, taylors blow, even the more expensive ones like the 600's or 500's, ive played 100$ epiphones that come set-up bettor out of the box.
the only thing id recomend to do on an a masterbilt is play it alot to let the strings settle in in the nut bettor or just replace it, to make it easier to bend and vibe
there like about 400-700 dollars my favriote is this one its got a nice low end and good on the trebble aswell
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500R-Fingerstyle-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519061
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Jun 2, 2008,
In my opinion, and many others opinions as well, you can do better in that price range than taylor.

I would suggest checking out epiphone masterbilts, seagulls, and blueridges
If you're in the market for Taylors, you could take a look at the Taylor Big Baby. But otherwise, what the other two posters said above me got it right.
^yah especially take alook at the seagulls i found this one to be quite exeptional
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Performer-Series-Dreadnought-Cutaway-QI-AcousticElectric-Guitar-with-Case?sku=516933
but i still like the made in China Epiphones bettor
taylors may be made in the US but there cheaper ones are made of laminate, while the epiphones are solid wood.
Alot of people may prefer the epiphone to taylor not just because it may sound bettor but becouse its made of solid woods, unlike the US made taylor.
Stay away from low end ovations, takamines, martin, and ibanez taylor and by low end i mean under 900.
the epiphone may be cheaper than some of the more expensive ovations, takamines and ibanez, but they sound way bettor, there not even comparable.
I just went to guitar center today and i could say without a doubt the epihone is the best one out there for the money and beats out mostly all the competition in the same ballpark, a trully amazing instrument for what you pay for, and like i said it beats out many guitars that are 200, 300, 400 more than what they cost, id say the next step up from a masterbilt would be a Martin 15, and even then youd still be a happy camper
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Jun 2, 2008,
just a bit of advice kidr44 while you bring up some relevant arguements on pricing to say that taylors blow is quite an ignorant statement and while i relise it is totally your opinion to make a blanket statement like that especially about 500 and 600 sereis taylors. it realy makes you look uninformed and in your somewhat limited expereince (as i assume from your name kid) is not a statement i would make. Bob taylor has forgotten more about building guitars and trying out new things than you or i put together will probably ever even no.
i actually like the g330 and gs340c takamines and they are quite playable at around 300 350 dollars for me.
i own a 110 taylor and am quite pleased with it in all aspects however it is an older model 2006 and i was able to get it for 400 dollars 599 is just a bit steep for a new taylor 110 and yes there are guitars that cost less than them that are built quite well dare i say equall.
but if when you play the guitars you may find that the taylor is the one that plays and sounds the best and there is absolutely no shame in buying one if you can afford it.
bottom line buy the one that plays and sounds the best to you regardless of the name on the headstock. good luck and happy struming keep us updated
Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars are definitely not bad guitars. they're pretty good, but here's the catch. the materials aren't good for what you pay. you can get much higher quality materials from other brands and still get a guitar just as good, if not better for the price you pay for a taylor 100/200 series. If it's your cup of tea, go for it. if not then look elsewhere. guitars are too personal to just decide by statistics.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by anita prs bad
just a bit of advice kidr44 while you bring up some relevant arguements on pricing to say that taylors blow is quite an ignorant statement and while i relise it is totally your opinion to make a blanket statement like that especially about 500 and 600 sereis taylors. it realy makes you look uninformed and in your somewhat limited expereince (as i assume from your name kid) is not a statement i would make. Bob taylor has forgotten more about building guitars and trying out new things than you or i put together will probably ever even no.
i actually like the g330 and gs340c takamines and they are quite playable at around 300 350 dollars for me.
i own a 110 taylor and am quite pleased with it in all aspects however it is an older model 2006 and i was able to get it for 400 dollars 599 is just a bit steep for a new taylor 110 and yes there are guitars that cost less than them that are built quite well dare i say equall.
but if when you play the guitars you may find that the taylor is the one that plays and sounds the best and there is absolutely no shame in buying one if you can afford it.
bottom line buy the one that plays and sounds the best to you regardless of the name on the headstock. good luck and happy struming keep us updated

sorry sometimes i make rash statement like that, especially couse i dont like taylors.
Im just biased like that, today i went to guitar center and i happened to play two taylor to give them another fling one happened to be an OM, and the other a dread, on the wall there was a sticker that said 600 series, and the another that said 500 and i assumed the ones I played were 600 and 500's but i saw the price tag and said hhmm thats odd so cheap for there top of the line guitars. I just took a look at a musicinsfriend and I was mistaken the ones i played where the DN4 and a GA4, still the guitars where horrible for around 1500 dollars i seriosly meant it when i said ive played some 100$ dollar epiphones set up bettor out of the box, the action was just horrible IMO not just because it cost 1500 but it was really bad.
no worries i dont mind you sharing your honest opinion just the way you phrase it will not garner much respect. i did the same thing when i was younger it is a trait many of us had to break ourselves out of and i am sure you will in time. course i myself come off as an ass sometimes when i go back and reread some of my more heated posts so i am still working on it as well. again no worries and sorry you have such a horrible selection of taylors to choose from in your area. i guess i am lucky i have an older gentleman that does all the setups in the acoustic room that i have at the guitar center i test out guitars at and i have yet to play a sloid topped guitar that i absolutley hated although a few have come close and i never look at a price tag till after i play the guitar sometimes i am quite suprised.
There are definitely better out there for the same price. I generally avoid conversations about the price of guitars as im in australia and the price difference between here and the US is huge and unpredictable at times. Regarding the 100 and 200 series Taylors though, I know you can do better as they have laminate back and sides and there are many all solid wood guitars for the same price.
i would have to agree masterbilt is really quite exquisite for the the price .. do it .. and get the dr-500r .. itll run you 600.00