Well, my current one is Basswood, and Ive been told its not very good. What is the best wood, and is basswood any good?
It all depends on the tone you want. For deep tones, mahogany, bright tones, I would say alder. Basswood is a good mix between the two, but it is a rather soft wood. Don't hit it on anything.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
The best wood is, by far, searchbar wood. I strongly suggest using it, because it's awesome
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Basswood is ok. its used for some cheep guitars but its also used for some high-end guitars (ibanez JEMs & Prestige)
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by black-sabbath
The best wood is, by far, searchbar wood. I strongly suggest using it, because it's awesome

ya i modded my squier to a searchbar neck and searchbar humbuckers

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i hate basswood personally, (and the jem's made of alder. the js's are basswood.)
to nasally.
i'd say the most versatile wood would be mahogany, but there is soo many other factors to a guitars tone then the wood its made of.
search bar jokes are sooo tired......

mahogany is pretty popular
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
i was looking at a few woods that i might want in a guitar... though id be interested in what type of woods would be awesome for a 7 string?
I would guess Mahogany though mahogany is starting 2 sound (excuse the pun) a bit ****e.
sry for asking in the thread instead of answering :P
I like Ash. Mahogany and Basswood are pretty nice as well, but Mahogany is often a bit too heavy (in weight) for me.
I like mahogany. I like heavier guitars. It makes me fell like im playin an instrument not a freakin toy.
There will be many opinions about the best wood. Personally,i found that mahogany is best for me.
Quote by black-sabbath

Lol i actually believed you for a second, i found that funny xD

Googlewood FTW xD
/CENTER]
Do any of you have any experience with chesswood? is it a decent wood?
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
Quote by dlmebag
Well, my current one is Basswood, and Ive been told its not very good. What is the best wood, and is basswood any good?

There is no best wood per se, its all about the tone you want and are looking for. Mahogany has deep tones, Swamp Ash has fairly bright tone, etc. all woods sound different and should be treated as such, so it just all depends on the tone you are going for.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Guitar Player Magazine had a pretty good article about 2 months or so ago specifically about your question. I think it was titled "Tone Woods". You may still be able to retrieve it on thier website.
Quote by timzee117
ya i modded my squier to a searchbar neck and searchbar humbuckers

You have wooden humbuckers? I suggest getting a new guitar or at least new pickups asap.