I need your expertise and help with the choice of strings for my new 8 string guitar. I am interested to have an dialog with you and hear your opinions, so that we together can achieve the best result. Ever since the new 8 string guitar "Ibanez RG2228" did come out not long ago this has been a problem for many.

I have been using D'addario's online tension calculator and I have come up with an "progressive" string set based on balanced tension, the strings I will use is, 09,12,16,024,034,046,062,085b (b=bass string), tuned in F#. (also want to try 095b if I tune in Drop-E). The guitar has an 27th scale neck.

I am skeptical and still need an answer if this is the right way to go, to do an set based purely on balanced tension of the strings, is the tension the only factor that I should think about? Is tension and sound energy that the string produces in phase with each other? Cause, the reason why I want balanced tension is in first hand cause I want a balanced sustain and balanced tone in general, so I wonder what would you suggest ?. I also wonder how the bass string (F string) will sound together with the guitar strings ? I use 065 now on the F string, but it really sounds horrible cause of the low tension, and the strings sounds very unbalanced especially when playing power chords.

Also most importantly, is it recommended for me to mix "Nickel Round wound" guitar strings with "Nickel Wound" bass strings, cause I do not find bass strings in Round Wound, I know they are similar, but flat wound strings from what I know have an different sound, but in this context I am not sure how much impact it will have in general. Looking forward to hear your response, and hopefully you will be able to help me in what strings I need to buy,
Last edited by Ekstasis at Jun 3, 2008,
Is it a GUITAR????
Because I've only seen 8-string BASSES. . . No 8 guitar
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by Kynyster_K
Is it a GUITAR????
Because I've only seen 8-string BASSES. . . No 8 guitar

It is most definitely a guitar. See here:

\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Have you tried emailing Ibanez and asking them what strings they recommend? I googled and searched around, couldn't find much.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I would try the 9-80 for a lighter guaged set, 10-85 for normal, or say 10-90 for like a skinny top heavy bottom.

I've used anywhere from 104-70 for the low string on a 7 string with a 25.5 and had a nice amount of tension down to F#.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by rwalby9
Have you tried emailing Ibanez and asking them what strings they recommend? I googled and searched around, couldn't find much.

No not done that yet, but I assume they would not recommend anything more then the original strings, which is 009-065.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would try the 9-80 for a lighter guaged set, 10-85 for normal, or say 10-90 for like a skinny top heavy bottom.

I've used anywhere from 104-70 for the low string on a 7 string with a 25.5 and had a nice amount of tension down to F#.

Hello yeah, 080 is the largest guitar string I know, I wish there was an 085 guitar string, but I am not sure really what to do, cause on papaer 080 is little below normal tension + my whole set of strings are calculated to get en balanced tension/sustain on all strings, with 080 it wold be little two low. But as I said, I am not sure tension is the only thing that does matter here, sine the big gauge on the 080 string, it might give an illusion to sound balanced (even though it doesn't on the paper)
Quote by Ekstasis
Hello yeah, 080 is the largest guitar string I know, I wish there was an 085 guitar string, but I am not sure really what to do, cause on papaer 080 is little below normal tension + my whole set of strings are calculated to get en balanced tension/sustain on all strings, with 080 it wold be little two low. But as I said, I am not sure tension is the only thing that does matter here, sine the big gauge on the 080 string, it might give an illusion to sound balanced (even though it doesn't on the paper)

Granted, 65 is too thin and floppy; 70 is quite a bit thicker. Above 70 you're going to begin to have issues with the size of the hole in the tuning peg. I would go to www.juststrings.com and buy a few difffernt sizes. As far as how low it's going to sound, I did have some muddiness problems with my large strings but I figured it was because of the crap pickups and low scale neck. With your EMG's which are built for the low tuning you should be fine.

Maybe down the road invest in a ported 2x12 cabinet so you can roll back the bass knob on your amp and still get a solid low end to allow you to get that stronger mids and upper midrange.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Granted, 65 is too thin and floppy; 70 is quite a bit thicker. Above 70 you're going to begin to have issues with the size of the hole in the tuning peg. I would go to www.juststrings.com and buy a few difffernt sizes. As far as how low it's going to sound, I did have some muddiness problems with my large strings but I figured it was because of the crap pickups and low scale neck. With your EMG's which are built for the low tuning you should be fine.

Maybe down the road invest in a ported 2x12 cabinet so you can roll back the bass knob on your amp and still get a solid low end to allow you to get that stronger mids and upper midrange.

Well this is a problem for my local music shop to solve, as I said, you could always dril the tuning peg hole, to make it fit.

And yes, if an total sound isolation in my apartment is included wiht that 2x12 cabinet, I will consider it
Until then I will keep using my Pod X3 with headphones
Im currently using a 10.5-48 set for the 6 strings, a 64 for the low B and an 80 for the F#, im really liking the tension over my 27" scale. I would recommend that you try something around those lines for the F# rather than making the huge jump to an 85+, always be gradual when finding string gauges.