when played on the clean channels they sound decent, but when i get to any of the other channels with distortion it sounds muddy and a bit rattle-y. is there something wrong with my amp or is it just the result of guitar (epi les paul special 2). i've tried lowering the gain, volume, and guitar volume and the sound is bland and messy sounding. helpful input would be much appreciated.
i have a vox ad30vt and i love the clean on this amp, but i dont use the distortion models on the amp, i just use my DS-1 which gets me the tone that i want unless it gets randomly picky (or maybe its just me) and i get bad tone. But its decent for what i want.
My Gear:
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Those are great amps, you just need to know how to get the right EQ. With those you pretty much need to crank the gain all the way while on one of the highgain amp models.

Try US Highgain with the gain and volume maxed but with the master volume toned down. That will give you a nice heavy distortion tone.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by The Lesser Paul
Try US Highgain with the gain and volume maxed but with the master volume toned down. That will give you a nice heavy distortion tone.

I use the opposite of that, i raise master volume and i lower the volume. Thought it worked somewhow that way...well to each his own.
My Gear:
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Put it on the Higain model, max out the gain, bass, and treble, and put the mids at around the 12 o clock position. Try that. I have my AD50VT like that and it sounds amazing.
Quote by Tarts42
I use the opposite of that, i raise master volume and i lower the volume. Thought it worked somewhow that way...well to each his own.
Yeah that works too, it sounds better for me the other way though for some reason.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by aznmetalhead93
Put it on the Higain model, max out the gain, bass, and treble, and put the mids at around the 12 o clock position. Try that. I have my AD50VT like that and it sounds amazing.

No way, it's way to muddy on that setting, with the bass that high. You gotta have the mids around 3-5 o clock on that channel, and the bass around noon or 11 o clock. I run my Screamin Blues in front of it for extra clarity.
EQ problems. for sure. i've used the 30 and the 15 and you gotta tweak the eq. not sure how i set it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack