This thread is simple. Just list all the rituals, habits, modifications, etc. that you apply to your guitars, picks, amps, or whatever in order to help you play better.

I sandpaper the tips of my picks to be nearly flat so that I can use the front of the pick for precision pick tapping, instead of using the side of the pick and risk hitting other strings.

I also use a hole punch and punch a hole in the center of my pick so I have a firm grip on it all throughout playing.
Last edited by Beebaboo at Jun 3, 2008,
I sand paper the part of my picks that you grip so they won't slip, and if the tip is dull I'll sand it to a sharp sharp point
Anytime I pick up my bass, I play that little intro part to "Dig" by Mudvayne.
It's annoying, actually.
If it counts, I seem to play better/more accurately whenever I wear a watch on the wrist of my fretting hand.
I play some of the riffs I wrote every single time I pick up my guitar. Don't know why. I also seem to love playin parts of this instrumental I wrote. It's a great warmup cuz it's very fast and requires your fingers to work fast quickly.
Probably doesn't really make a difference as to how I'm playing but I crack my knuckles before I start.
Quote by OsokDracul
If it counts, I seem to play better/more accurately whenever I wear a watch on the wrist of my fretting hand.

That's because clockwork precision rubs off.
Quote by Beebaboo

I also use a hole punch and punch a hole in the center of my pick so I have a firm grip on it all throughout playing.

that's ingenious. wow. good idea. i actually cant think of anything right now. oh, i pick in circles, if you know what i mean... i freakin hate it and i try to break the habit but too bad it doesnt work. i wah with both feet. when the logo on my pick disappears, i stop using it and save it in my used picks stash.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
put a pick in between the three higher strings after my nut

toss some sort of bracelett or rubber bands on my wrists to weigh them down so i can get loose
and thats about it
Masturbate.
Works wonders for alternate picking.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Pikka Bird
That's because clockwork precision rubs off.

Ba Dum Chh. That was a killer pun, I tip my hat to you.

And yeah, I'm OCD but I don't actually have ANY rituals or anything. If I'm playing guitar, my reverb pedal HAS to be on and whether guitar/bass I can't play if my strap is twisted. Otherwise, I just do whatever. I don't even have a practice regimen.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Something that I started doing recently is to warm up on a different instrument. I have a myriad of different instruments that I play, but I ultimately consider myself a guitarist. that isn't to say I don't get bored of the guitar though. when I do get bored of my guitars I play on, say, my keyboard, or harmonica, or whatever just to re-familiarize my self with a perspective of music that I had lost on the guitar, that'll usually help me play my guitar perhaps not more skillfully, but with a little more emotion...
Last edited by david_highland at Jun 3, 2008,
I fart in my hand and quickly cup my nose and breathe in deeply, becuase not only does it smell like ****, I also play like ****.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
everyone tells me i really shouldnt play with a watch on my right wrist cause it'll catch the strings. But i cant play for **** without it and i've never caught the strings with it lol
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Lol. I shoot up, man. No. I'm kidding I find heavy rings, put them on my fongers, and stretch my fingers as far apart as they can possibly go over and over, as well as flexing my wrist And a long time ago when i was still using my Epi LP Special II (Ew.) I would take the tone knob off because it would always fall off on its own. And many other things that I won't discuss here =P
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
The first thing I do every time I pick up my guitar is play some double stops on the D and G strings because my G string has a bad habit of going out of tune slightly while the rest of my strings are in perfect tuning... so that instantly tells me if my G is in tune or not - just a habit that I've gotten into.

Also I just started sanding the finishes off the necks on guitars that I use because it makes them feel more comfortable and have a slicker feel to them (helps your hand slide easier).

Other than that there is nothing out of the ordinary that I do.
For some reason every time I pick up my guitar I play the first few notes to "Still Got The Blues" by Gary Moore.
I draw pics on my picks

I sometimes record a basic rhythm via tape recorder and try to solo over it. It works well, actually.

I also experiment with the most bizarre tunings imaginable. Like, with no pattern at all. Or something like A-B-C-D-E-F (from top to bottom) It can be quite fun. And hard actually, because sometimes I accidentally break strings by going too high >.< Gotta decide whether to tune higher or lower.