I'm looking into buying myself a new amp and have come across this as a feature many a time... What does it do? or What is it?
as wiki says: "An attenuator is an electronic device that reduces the amplitude or power of a signal without appreciably distorting its waveform."

In simpler terms, it lets you get more of a cranked tone from your amp at a lower volume
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
It's not usually a feature on an amp. Most of them come as outboard units. It goes in between your amp and the speaker and converts some of the signal power to heat so that you can get tube breakup at lower volumes.
Quote by Roc8995
It's not usually a feature on an amp

What Colin said - except that some amps will say they have a built-in attenuator. Mainly I'm thinking of the Vox Valvetronix line, but I think other amps atleast give you switchable wattages, and might be advertised using the same term. However, those are usually not "real attenuators" (as in what Weber Mass or whatever, they might be attenuators in the original meaning of the word), although they do achieve results somewhat similar.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Roc8995
It's not usually a feature on an amp. Most of them come as outboard units. It goes in between your amp and the speaker and converts some of the signal power to heat so that you can get tube breakup at lower volumes.

Yep. The only valve amp I know of to have an attenuator is the Orange Thunderverb.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
in simpler words...it allows you to turn your amp volume up (to drive the tubes harder in order to produce a better sound), but reduces the total volume while keeping the sound quality. it only works on tube amps
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Yes.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by timi_hendrix
Yep. The only valve amp I know of to have an attenuator is the Orange Thunderverb.

the Peavey Windsor combo has one.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
How about the Mini Colossal?
Quote by Lunchbox362