Sorry if this is the wrong section. I debated putting this in the G&A section, but I concluded that this one would be best.

Anyway, I seem to have a problem getting a good distortion sound. I have a Fender Mexican Strat HSS and a Fender 25w Frontman amp, as well as a DOD Grunge pedal.

For some reason, I can never seem to get a good distortion sound. I have played around with every knob I can find, but nothing sounds any good. I want to find a sound that is distorted, but still clear (if that makes sense). All I can seem to get is distortion which sounds like noise/fuzz/crap. I want to be able to hear each power-chord breaking through.

Sorry that I can't explain exactly what I want, but hopefully someone can understand me.

What can I do to make it sound better? Or is my gear just not good enough? I have been thinking about getting an invader put into my Strat or saving for a new amp, but I am not too sure

Thanks
Well...i do like invader p'ups but im not super sure bout the sound your going for but just try taking a bit of the mid out and putting the gain down....and try playing with your gear up loud cause it will always sound different then if its down.
Guitarist for Adelaide Post Hardcore band Emerald City EmeraldCityAU

Playing a Fender Blacktop Tele through an Orange Dual Terror and 2x12.
Quote by .:Metal Boy:.
Well...i do like invader p'ups but im not super sure bout the sound your going for but just try taking a bit of the mid out and putting the gain down....and try playing with your gear up loud cause it will always sound different then if its down.

Not exactly. The whole point of solid state amps is to have a consistent sound at any volume. Turning one up loud will just introduce some solid-state clipping into his sound which sounds like crap.

The invader isn't a bad choice for a pick-up, but that's not the problem here. The grunge pedal was discontinued for a reason. Try and save up for a better dist pedal or better yet, a new amp.
A new amp is your best bet. You won't do your Strat any justice through that amp. A Duncan Invader is going to be wasted on that amp too. Once again, new amp!
I would say a new amp also but
Quote by mogar
The grunge pedal was discontinued for a reason.
the only other grunge pedal I know of is this.
Not sure how good it is and people complain about how DigiTech "sounds too digital".
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Quote by Slash546
I would say a new amp also but the only other grunge pedal I know of is this.
Not sure how good it is and people complain about how DigiTech "sounds too digital".

Ah, I was thinking of the old DOD one. Not like the digitech is any better though.
Quote by jhardcore
So basically the pedal is just crap?

To put it bluntly, yes.
Ditch the pedal and the amp and get a tube amp.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by mogar
Ah, I was thinking of the old DOD one. Not like the digitech is any better though.

Wait, I think, I got that old DOD one with the "boost". So this thing is crap? No wonder my dad got it for free.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Quote by jhardcore
Sorry if this is the wrong section. I debated putting this in the G&A section, but I concluded that this one would be best.

Anyway, I seem to have a problem getting a good distortion sound. I have a Fender Mexican Strat HSS and a Fender 25w Frontman amp, as well as a DOD Grunge pedal.

For some reason, I can never seem to get a good distortion sound. I have played around with every knob I can find, but nothing sounds any good. I want to find a sound that is distorted, but still clear (if that makes sense). All I can seem to get is distortion which sounds like noise/fuzz/crap. I want to be able to hear each power-chord breaking through.

Sorry that I can't explain exactly what I want, but hopefully someone can understand me.

What can I do to make it sound better? Or is my gear just not good enough? I have been thinking about getting an invader put into my Strat or saving for a new amp, but I am not too sure

Thanks

I understand what you mean perfectly. I have been thinking about making this thread for a while now. When I play with distortion on it's just an entire mess. When I play a few power chords in a row, you can just hear the previous ones still OVER the ones I'm playing after. For example, the intro of 2 Minutes to Midnight..

|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|-----5-----7--------|
|-----5-----7--------|
|-0-0---0-0---0-0-|
|---------------------|

By the time I play the second double open A string, everything just turns into noise. I can't get a clear sound. Same thing for everything really.
Quote by jhardcore

The pedal's ok, the amp is crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Never think you'd be getting advice from ME, did you?

New amp. Also, make sure you haven't got your mids or bass down too low aswell. An invader would be wasted with your ampl. Go into McCanns, try out a few different amps and see what you like. I'm saving up for a ValveKing 112, but try out every amp you can.
Quote by MPM12
I understand what you mean perfectly. I have been thinking about making this thread for a while now. When I play with distortion on it's just an entire mess. When I play a few power chords in a row, you can just hear the previous ones still OVER the ones I'm playing after. For example, the intro of 2 Minutes to Midnight..

|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|-----5-----7--------|
|-----5-----7--------|
|-0-0---0-0---0-0-|
|---------------------|

By the time I play the second double open A string, everything just turns into noise. I can't get a clear sound. Same thing for everything really.

It sounds to me like you're not muting your strings after playing the notes you want, and just leaving them to ring....
That'll make any distortion sound like complete ****.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Better gear would help, mostly a new amp.... as all ready said, lower the bass, boost the mids/highs....

but I would guess that you probably ALSO need to turn the gain down...that should clear the muddiness substantially....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by Sora 01
This. the frontman has very muddy crappy distortion, get a decent high gain valve amp and sell the amp and the pedal you have

If valve amps are too expensive for you try looking at a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube. Theyre pretty good solid states and will be a definite upgrade over that frontman.
Quote by Slash546
I would say a new amp also but the only other grunge pedal I know of is this.
Actually Digitech's Grunge, Death Metal, Hot Head, Screamin' Blues and Bad Monkey Tube pedals are all analog. Yes, despite the fact that all of their other pedals are digital and they're called Digitech, those five which are their most popular pedals, are all entirely analog, not digital.

Quote by jhardcore
It's the amp that's crap.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you shouldnt need pedals to make good distortion a better amp will have the best distortion.