What's up party people, I'm new here and I'm looking into buying my first entry level acoustic in the ballpark of $450-$600. I've been impressed with the Masterbilt series by Epiphone (as it seems a lot of you have) but have a few questions.

I'm looking at the Dreadnought models, and I was wondering if it's worth the extra $150 to pay for rosewood vs. mahogany? Is the bass response really noticable? I haven't had the chance to play both because it's hard to find a store with more than one or two masterbilt guitars.

Have you guys been impressed by the factory set up action in the series? I saw a lot of string buzz coming from one of the masterbilt AJ's I played but maybe this was an anomaly?

The electronics: why in the hell are the acoustic electrics 200 dollars more than the basic? are the electronics really worth that much?

Any specifics on the case that comes with it? I've heard great things about it being like a hard case and including a hydrogometer and stuff like that

Lastly, any personal recommendations on my quest for the guitar of my liking? I've been on the hunt for a couple months now.
the rosewood and mahogany is just two different sounds .. not one is better than the other .. just different .. i just happen to like the rich sound of rosewood vs the warm sound of mahogany .. i have played both rosewood and mahogany ajs and drs

the factory set ups i played were all good so maybe the one you experienced was a fluke ?

i dont know much about there electronics ..

they no longer come with a case ..although i heard many good things about the case .. but you can still purchase it seperately .. but recently i found a aj that came with a case at a local guitar center .. but im pretty sure that aj as been sitting there for a long time .. its a soft hard case .. if that makes any sense .. lol

i find the aj and dr to sound simliar .. aj probably has more volume .. but i love the look of the dr-500 ..and i feel more comfortable playing a dreadnought .. so i personally bought the dr-500r .. i heard many people having problems with the bride lifting off of the aj's .. because of the bracing for the aj series .. but i never heard complaints of the dr's .. but they have lifetime warranty anyways .. so yea .. i recommend the dr-500r .. beautiful guitar .. sounds beautiful .. cant get no better than that .. lolz ..
I can only really answer a few of your questions because i don't have all that much experience with Masterbilts.

As far as rosewood vs. mahogany, they are just two different types of sounds. You just have to find which you prefer. The price of rosewood is higher because the wood is less common than mahogany. Although that is changing and many guitar makers are starting to substitue a different wood, Sapele, for mahogany.

About the electronics being so expensive: This is the case on all acoustic electric guitars, and the price is not really worth it. For the most part, you can buy a straight acoustic guitar and then buy electronics seperately later on and probably save money.
I think they use Ibeams, and element pups on the masterbilts and as far as i know there pretty good pups.
As for tonewoods i like rosewood bettor becouse yah i guese it does give you a bettor bass response on the low end, but thats just me, nothing wrong with a mahogny guitar its just a diffrent sound thats all, one has its pros, and the other has its pros.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Jun 3, 2008,
Rosewood vs Hog is a matter of preference. I have the Rosewood one, but I also have a Hog guitar. If they don't have the Masterbilt on both to try out, just try out other guitars that they have in both, so you can get a feel for the differences.

I has a setup done on mine and I think it is well worth the money. It makes the guitar play and sound much better, unless you get one that comes out perfectly from the factory. A setup should run $35.
Quote by theinnerpalm
What's up party people, I'm new here and I'm looking into buying my first entry level acoustic in the ballpark of $450-$600. I've been impressed with the Masterbilt series by Epiphone (as it seems a lot of you have) but have a few questions.

I'm looking at the Dreadnought models, and I was wondering if it's worth the extra $150 to pay for rosewood vs. mahogany? Is the bass response really noticable? I haven't had the chance to play both because it's hard to find a store with more than one or two masterbilt guitars.

Have you guys been impressed by the factory set up action in the series? I saw a lot of string buzz coming from one of the masterbilt AJ's I played but maybe this was an anomaly?

The electronics: why in the hell are the acoustic electrics 200 dollars more than the basic? are the electronics really worth that much?

Any specifics on the case that comes with it? I've heard great things about it being like a hard case and including a hydrogometer and stuff like that

Lastly, any personal recommendations on my quest for the guitar of my liking? I've been on the hunt for a couple months now.

I usually like rosewood more, but it really depends on the guitar. play both and decide for yourself if it's worth the extra money. my martin had the option of mahogany or rosewood. i much preferred the rosewood.

in regards to action... dont mind that too much. setups are easy to come by. a good store will usually give you one free setup when you purchase the guitar anyway.

as for the electronics... $200 is an alright price for electronics. and yes, they really do cost that much when you account for the actual system + installation. if you installed the same pickups after market, it would probably cost more from installation.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
That's a shame about the case... +$80 to the tab =( there are a few on ebay with cases but I'm sketched on that kind of stuff. I'll definitely try to play on a rosewood and mahogany in the same sitting... the bass response of the rosewood sounds appealing and I LOVE the dark color of rosewood... can you say hard-on?

I've heard from some people that the newer masterbilts are no longer fitted with bone nut/saddle? can anyone confirm or debunk this??

Thanks for your input guys.
yes thats true ... but the one i found with a case at guitar center had bone nut and saddle .. but the one i have doesnt which is one that didnt come with a case
nevermind i take it back .. i just found out that all masterbilts still have bone nut and saddle .. including mines .. it was confirmed with epiphone themselves .. =D
a girl that works at my local guitar store called them up and asked them when she ordered a guitar for me but they did such a nice job on the cut that it looks like plastic but not really
Legit. You just semi made my day. Yay. Now if only Gibson would put the sexy case back in the package