Hey guys... I'm trying desperately to learn to sing and play guitar at the same time. I don't seem to get it as well as some people do, because I am at heart a soloist. However, summer is here and the beach (and thus beach songs) beckon and I must take it upon myself to lead the charge.

That said, does anyone have any advice, exercises, techniques or tips to help me out? Or a place I could find some?
If you want to play and sing then you have to be able to do one of these things without even thinking about it. This thing will probably be guitar but you can do it with singing as well.

Mainly just practise both seperately a lot then when you can play or sing without thinking about it much then put them together and you should be able to do both.
If i were you, just talk to somebody while playing guitar, and try to focus on both. Dont try to speed up talking just to get it over with so you dont mess up, try to talk clearly and confidently. Have a friend ask you questions that are more than a "yep" answer, and you should be fine. Try it on an easy song, or a good repetitive one, like "Hypnotize" by S.O.A.D.
well i started playing guitar in January 2008 and also i couldn't play and sing, like 2 weeks ago i had a concert and i had to play sweet child o mine and i was so excited because i love this song. the day after i saw the video in the cellphone of a friend and i was singing and playing at the same time lmao.

the thing im trying to tell you with all this crap is that if you choose a song that you like you will be able to sing it and play it at the same time.
Quote by die 4 dethklok
If i were you, just talk to somebody while playing guitar, and try to focus on both.

no you don't really focus on both, you really need to be able to do one or the other without even thinking about it as 1234abcd or whatever said

TS : you REALLY have to have the song down to where you can play it in your sleep before you can try to sing it. i recommend finding a simple 3 chord song that has a very simple rhythm. try learning it and then singing it. take a day or 2 to learn it. you should be able to literally play it well while watching tv or holding a conversation before you start trying to sing. thats what kind of second nature it needs to be.
I learned to play and sing at the same time by having conversations and playing at the same time. If you can talk while playing, you can definitely sing. Plus it's multitasking. You can get more done.
Quote by 12345abcd3
If you want to play and sing then you have to be able to do one of these things without even thinking about it. This thing will probably be guitar but you can do it with singing as well.

Mainly just practise both seperately a lot then when you can play or sing without thinking about it much then put them together and you should be able to do both.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'd say this is the most effective method.