Is it possible to lock the floating bridge on a Fender strat? I don't really use the whammy bar and find it annoying that every string goes out of tune when I snap a string so I'd like to know how to disable the whammy function.

Cheers
yep you can

first of all you need to cut a peice of wood to the right size to fit between the trem and body

so when the strings are off messure the distance/size needed get it cut put it in and your set.

Search google for Blocked Tremelo or Blocked tremelo strat size
or something like that
=========

Nathnialm

====
you can just add some springs into it so it holds tight.
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
yes it certainly is possible there are many options that can make it hard or easy. The hardest is the Floyd Rose next comes the Kahler tremolo and the easiest for a strat the requires no routing or drilling is the super vee. Check it out at www.super-vee.com a novice modder/ builder can handle the job and you can get a locking trem easy with out modding you axe permanently. And if you want to switch back to the old bridge the super vee can be removed.

EDIT: sry thought you wanted a locking trem. +1 to the block of wood idea, just shove a block of wood in the space and put in the max number of springs. I do believe there is a long device that goes in place of one of the springs but i cant remember what it was called.
Last edited by Stratmaster458 at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by radio_schizo
Is it possible to lock the floating bridge on a Fender strat? I don't really use the whammy bar and find it annoying that every string goes out of tune when I snap a string so I'd like to know how to disable the whammy function.

Cheers

I'm thinking this would work ...

I was actually going to do a similar thing but with a block of machined steel.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
I was actually going to do a similar thing but with a block of machined steel.

would that not rattle like a bastard?
No put something thin between the metal block and the metal wammy and it wouldnt rattle. If its a 6 screw wammy you can just crank the screws on the claw down in the back of the guitar. If its the floating 2 screw type the the block works best. I just used 2 door shims. When opposed and slid together they get thicker then just cut off what you dont need, some wood glue and its blocked. Then tighten the screws down on the claw.