Hey

im looking to get a new guitar soon, no real budget as such anything's savable but i need a guitar that can really shred, i play heavy metal and some pink floyd type stuff and satriani stuff...but i want the guitar to sound really evil, but if set the right way also sound really clean and crisp...

So basically what guitars are simply made to be shredded on and play well, are comfortable etc.

cheers
Far too many to list really. Just think about how much you plan on spending and let us know.
under 900 pounds...

and to get the ball rolling a guitar i have been looking at is a jackson soloist
Wow, nice budget.

Any of the USA Jacksons would be an excellent choice, as would some high end Ibanez and ESP's.
LPs are great for metal. But be careful when choosing. Copies can be crappy. Very crappy. You're better off getting the higher priced, higher class Epi copies, or really saving up and getting an actual Gibson. But also, sound is all in the amp... Well... Not ALL in the amp... but mostly. Do you already have an amp? If so, then tell me what you think of it. But of course, just to be fair, go try others out before making your decision. If you're completely new to guitar [as in this will be the first rig you actually own], then dont make the mistake of screwing up and getting cheapy crap like i did. get at least mid range stuff. [a.k.a. Don't get low priced things, but you may not want to fall into the high priced things either]
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by Lolopop
LPs are great for metal. But be careful when choosing. Copies can be crappy. Very crappy. You're better off getting the higher priced, higher class Epi copies, or really saving up and getting an actual Gibson. But also, sound is all in the amp... Well... Not ALL in the amp... but mostly. Do you already have an amp? If so, then tell me what you think of it. But of course, just to be fair, go try others out before making your decision. If you're completely new to guitar [as in this will be the first rig you actually own], then dont make the mistake of screwing up and getting cheapy crap like i did. get at least mid range stuff. [a.k.a. Don't get low priced things, but you may not want to fall into the high priced things either]

LPs are NOT great for metal, other than nu-metal, but that doesn't count. On top of that they're not made for shredding and they have bulky necks, are uncomfortably heavy, so i dont think you should get an lp.

Edit: I agree with Moe.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 3, 2008,
Jackson Dk2m.
And with the remainder of the money, a new amp to suit.
Signatures are overrated.
@ metalman89 - any usa jackson ive found has been over 2k USD...know any under 900 quid?

and yeah ibanez im going to be looking at too, ESP's ive gone off

@ lolopop - i need a guitar thats flexible, and lp's dont have floyds, which i need (sorry for not stating) and my ampage is quite good i've got a marshall combo amp
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
LPs are NOT great for metal, other than nu-metal, but that doesn't count. On top of that they're not made for shredding and they have bulky necks, are uncomfortably heavy, so i dont think you should get an lp.

Edit: I agree with Moe.

Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammet, James Hetfield, Matt Heafy, just to name a few

In my opinion to the original question it my be worth trying the MAVERICK F-3 FLOYD ROSE (http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1441) if you can track one down as there are pretty hard to, but always try before you buy as only you will know what you like.
No one says PRS? I played one at a friends house the other day, and the damn thing played fast as hell! It was set up real nice and low.
It sounded brutal too, through a tube amp with a pedal, and the clean sounds were very warm.

But it could all be preference, so i'd just go out and try guitars. And choose on which one you prefer.
An RG is a great guitar for metal, and the Ibanez tremolo systems are by far the best I've ever played. If you're looking for something a little more well-rounded, check out the S series - I play an S2170FW Prestige, and it's a great shred guitar as well as blues, jazz, cleans, etc. Jacksons are great too, but can be pricey. Try them both out.
But everyone else is right about the amp - it will affect your tone far more than your guitar will.
I'll second what Pingis said. LPs are not shred guitars - too bulky, heavy, etc. It's fine for rhythm, but not shredding, it'll get in your way
MyGear;

Ibanez S2170NTF Prestige
Boss GT-8
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Seagull Artist Cameo Cutaway with LR Baggs i-Beam Duet
Digitech Jam Man
Presonus Firebox Audio Interface
I agree.

S2170FW Prestige is a good choice

Also the RG2550Z if your looking for a superstrat metal look with all the features of a S series.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by mogar
Ibanez prestige. Look for RG1570 and RG2550.

+1
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by soapbar
Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammet, James Hetfield, Matt Heafy, just to name a few

In my opinion to the original question it my be worth trying the MAVERICK F-3 FLOYD ROSE (http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1441) if you can track one down as there are pretty hard to, but always try before you buy as only you will know what you like.

The lp is still not made for metal and it has a bulky neck. I would rather shred on a guitar made for shred, like a JEM or soloist for instance.
I'd say a Jackson or an Ibanez ^^ Shredmachines. And if you want a really evil sound, even the cheap end Boss multi-effect-boards really does the trick. Awesome machines.
Quote by metalman89
Wow, nice budget.

Any of the USA Jacksons would be an excellent choice, as would some high end Ibanez and ESP's.

i was going to suggest a jackson rhoads or an ESP ec 1000
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
ibanez or jackson is the way to go. go with a prestige or one of the higher jacksons.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Quote by Mustaine1990
under 900 pounds...

and to get the ball rolling a guitar i have been looking at is a jackson soloist

get it lol