Page 1 of 2
Hey UG.
I recently got my Schecter C1 Classic, and love everything about it except the pickups!
Theyre not as high output as I would like, and don't have enough 'bite' to them, just very bland..
So I'm going to replace them, but I dont know what with:p
I'm pretty sure I'll put a dimarzio evo in the neck, I have one in my Ibanez SZ and love it, unless something better comes up.
I dislike evo's in the bridge though, so I don't know where to look:p
I play mostly metal/hard rock, but play blues too. I'm looking for something really fat and ballsy, but with enough treble and attack for those tight riffs and shred.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
What exactly have you heard? There's also the DiMarzio DropSonic, what petrucci has in his ebmm's.
Ive just heard theyre pretty bad. Not a quality sound. Keep in mind I'll be playing softer rock and blues too..
Ah ok. Well, the Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom wouldn't be bad for that.
Reckon it'll handle heavy stuff well?
I was looking at some bkp's, but ive no way of testing them.
Yeah, the sh-11 can do heavy stuff pretty easily. Granted it's not an EMG or the like, but it's a pretty clear sounding pick-up once you go into high gain.
I was actually thinking about seeing if I could wire the emg81 with the evo, seems like it won't work though, and not well if it did..
So I dunno?
Quote by sdmf.1919
I've heard bad things about those..
I want something nice and rich sounding

Dimarzio Breeds would work very well for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You reckon?
I have an evo in my Sz bridge and don't like it much. Its fairly average for leads, and horrible for rhythem. Doesn't handle really high gain stuff well at all. Far from a quality 'rich' tone either way, which is partly why I havent jumped at the idea of another dimarzio..
Quote by sdmf.1919
You reckon?
I have an evo in my Sz bridge and don't like it much. Its fairly average for leads, and horrible for rhythem. Doesn't handle really high gain stuff well at all. Far from a quality 'rich' tone either way, which is partly why I havent jumped at the idea of another dimarzio..

Why would you think that? The Breed and the Evo are completely different pickups...just because they're from the same manufacturer doesn't mean they'll be anything alike, you wouldn't turn your nose up at a Mercedes S500 just because you didn't like the C class.

Breeds sound like this through a half-decent tube amp, they wrote the book on fat and ballsy.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I can't listen atm, I'm at work, I'm at work atm.
Tech from the shop reckons a bardknuckle nailbomb, but I'm not so sure.
Quote by sdmf.1919
I can't listen atm, I'm at work, I'm at work atm.
Tech from the shop reckons a bardknuckle nailbomb, but I'm not so sure.

you work in an atm? I KNEW they had people inside them

Nailbombs might be good...they'd cost twice as much though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

LOL! Yeah, totally.
Hmm, well I'm from the UK, the nailbomb is 100, and I remember paying 80 for my evo, there cant be that much in it?

See, I like aspects of the evo, how much treble it has, and its ability to cut through, so whatever I go for has to share those qualities, but have the rich tight lowend i like.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I was askign what amp the TS is currently using
Yep, I was just +1'ing you in an elaborate way.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ahright cheers, dunno whether or not to go for it though.
I use a 5150 212 and an old c30 for bluesy/softer rock stuff. I have a gt-8 running through both for effects, few other pedals running too.
Im not unhappy with my tone, I'n unhappy with my pickups, theres a differance, im not looking for amp advice.

So anyone else got suggestions?
Quote by sdmf.1919
Ahright cheers, dunno whether or not to go for it though.
I use a 5150 212 and an old c30 for bluesy/softer rock stuff. I have a gt-8 running through both for effects, few other pedals running too.
Im not unhappy with my tone, I'n unhappy with my pickups, theres a differance, im not looking for amp advice.

So anyone else got suggestions?
That's cool, reason we asked is 'cos a TON of people round here immediately turn to new pickups when they're wondering why their MG spits out such nasty tone.

I would second Steven Seagull on the Breed.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by sdmf.1919
You reckon?

You said in your first post that you love it...

make up your mind....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Lol I said I love the neck evo, dislike the bridge.
So you all reckon the breed over the bkp?
Will the breed have the treble I need like the evo?
The breed is incredible...nuff said.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Not 'nuff said' id rather know exactly what im buying.
Tbh I'm leaning towards the bkp with reviews..
I would just say a nice set of PAFs. DiMarzios are good, SD Seth Lovers are good, or you could look boutique.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Nah but the PAF's dont seem to excel at anything in particular..
As i say, im leaning towards a bkp nailbomb. Reviews for the breed seem to imply its not what i want..
Id say, for something, tones I'm aiming for,
Lead- EVH, Satch, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads Gary Moore, Ac Dc, Michael Ammott (arch enemy) Zakk Wylde.
Rhythem- Zakk Wylde, Dime, Michael Ammott, SRV, Santana, Gary Moore.
Keep in mind this is a bridge we're talking about!
Thats just a rough idea, I cnt really think of how to descibe the tone I want/the way I play.
Rhythem of a tight chunky les paul, and leads of a super-strat type thing I guess.
Quote by sdmf.1919
Nah but the PAF's dont seem to excel at anything in particular..
As i say, im leaning towards a bkp nailbomb. Reviews for the breed seem to imply its not what i want..
Id say, for something, tones I'm aiming for,
Lead- EVH, Satch, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads Gary Moore, Ac Dc, Michael Ammott (arch enemy) Zakk Wylde.
Rhythem- Zakk Wylde, Dime, Michael Ammott, SRV, Santana, Gary Moore.
Keep in mind this is a bridge we're talking about!
Thats just a rough idea, I cnt really think of how to descibe the tone I want/the way I play.
Rhythem of a tight chunky les paul, and leads of a super-strat type thing I guess.

From what you've said there the Breed is exactly what you're looking for, in so much as it's a versatile pickup that can cover a wide range of styles. It's also got a fat, warm tone with plenty of thick lower midrange. Suffice to say, there's no pickup that's going to excel at every one of those styles you've listed because they're all so different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Suffice to say, there's no pickup that's going to excel at every one of those styles you've listed because they're all so different.

I'm no pickup expert, but looking at the divergent tones that you listed I couldn't pick out anything that is common amoung those tones. So what Mr. Seagull says here makes a lot of sense. A nice versitle pickup paired with an EQ pedal of some sort would probably be what you are searching for.
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
Theyre not really all that different if you read what it was i said.
Most of them have a rich cutting lead, some of them perhaps smoother than others, but its the same idea, mostly, with the fact that i did say lead.
Again, with rhythem, its the same chunky tight low-end, with enough output, mostly.
You seriously reckon the breed over the bkp? As i said, the reviews on the breed dont seem to match what i want, whereas the bkp does..
Do you own a breed btw?
Sorry for being so unsure, its just the last time ill be able to spend this kinda money on guitars, due to other commitments, wanna make sure i get exactly what im looking for:p
yeah i have something to say.

i've never tried breed pickups, you can go with it since everybody's thumbs up. but have you considered Steve's Special? or DropSonic?
i heard Drop Sonic's got very good clarity and warmth for a high output pickup.

i have to agree that evo bridge lacks clarity. never really liked playing chords or any multiple-picking with it. the sound gets very dirty. but it's very responsive to harmonics.
evo neck is a very good one imho for middy solos.

edit: the list you wrote has a variety too wide. pardon me, but i don't think you can nail everything with one pickup.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Last edited by necrophilic at Jun 4, 2008,
You can't go wrong with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Fat, big lows, bitey highs, very epxressive and musical. Can sound both classic and modern depending on how you EQ. Sounds good clean too for a classic rock n roll sound.
Yeah I've heard the super distortion is pretty popular.
However i think its between the breed and the bkp.
How hard can it be to choose a bridge pick up haha.
Quote by sdmf.1919
Theyre not really all that different if you read what it was i said.
Most of them have a rich cutting lead, some of them perhaps smoother than others, but its the same idea, mostly, with the fact that i did say lead.
Again, with rhythem, its the same chunky tight low-end, with enough output, mostly.
You seriously reckon the breed over the bkp? As i said, the reviews on the breed dont seem to match what i want, whereas the bkp does..
Do you own a breed btw?
Sorry for being so unsure, its just the last time ill be able to spend this kinda money on guitars, due to other commitments, wanna make sure i get exactly what im looking for:p

I *had* three Breeds....I've only got 2 now because I sold my BC rich And the sounds you listed are INCREDIBLY varied, both lead and rhythm. Santana has a singing, rich tone, Gary Moore has far more dirt, Dimebag was all treble and ridiculous levels of gain, Angus Young has a trebly low gain tone with very little bass etc etc.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Page 1 of 2