Page 1 of 2
So I was reading on Wikipedia an article about extreme music, and it described extreme as basically containing elements in their music that are abhorrent to mainstream/popular culture -- I agree with this.

Anyway, what subgenre of metal (how ever obscure or esoteric) would you consider the most extreme?

I am gonna go and say Ross Bay War Metal takes the cake, an extreme mix of unrelenting black metal and grind. Listen to Conqueror - War Cult Supremacy, and try and find a more extreme metal album.

So, discuss
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Ross Bay named after you as well?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

No Stalaggh is not metal, and not as extreme as Conqueror. Fail

^not extreme... but brutal yes.

and i was gonna say either grindcore or black metal for most extreme, but since ur genre combines both, i guess it does win.... so basically its unanimous so far... wheres the opposition?

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Most extreme sort of extreme metal? Probably black metal. Most extreme sort of extreme music? Grindcore for stuff with guitars, speedcore/terrorcore or powernoize for electronic.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
STABxYOU, you should hear this war metal stuff. Far more extreme than black metal, and arguably more extreme than grindcore.

Revenge ****in slay.

Funeral Doom can be pretty extreme, with the likes of Moss, Bunkur, Vonn
You're gonna hate me for saying it, but I honestly feel that some brutal death/grind is the most extreme music ever.
I mean, take some of that brutal goregrind....
Everything, from the song names, to the band names (we have a local band here called "Cunt Butcher") to the music.
It's just full on stuff.
err I heard some war metal -courtesy of our man here, MHD- personally I'd say rompeprop lol XD but then again its been forever since I heard em and I cant remember ****... but I remember Concrete Burger was quite... abrasive
Quote by Magero
(we have a local band here called "Cunt Butcher")

And I agree with most of the rest of that, actually. Grind is probably, almost by definition, some of the most extreme metal out there, and lyrical content's a matter of how extreme they want it to be, really.
In terms of sheer blow-your-face-off quality, the most 'extreme' albums I have are:

Angelcorpse - Exterminate
Terrorizer - World Downfall
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
Napalm Death - From Enslavement To Obliteration
Revenge - Victory. Intolerance. Mastery.

Aggression is the key.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Last edited by Stranglehold at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Stranglehold

Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro

Aggression is the key.

That Album alone is extreme. Go on their myspace and listen to pandemonic Hyperblast.
.....Or I could just listen to it from the cd?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Jack, who cares? It's not some kind of pissing contest. I think we've discussed this before and came to the conclision that 'extremeness' or 'brutalness' or whatever is subjective to the listeners own taste.

Blah blah blah, falling on deaf ears.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
and by EXTREME you mean a complete lack of melody and just BLASTBLASTBLASTBLATSBLAST?
then id say : any gansta rap song
Quote by EVL/666
and by EXTREME you mean a complete lack of melody and just BLASTBLASTBLASTBLATSBLAST?
then id say : any gansta rap song

I'm starting to hate you more and more.
Goregrind or brutal death metal, like magero said. But Noise is more extreme. The codex necro has elements of noise and grind so i think its near the most extreme. Oh and Defeated sanity for the brutal death metal, my mate cried when he heard it, blasted his ears lol. Now he's into meshuggah though, so it did him some good.
It's raw black metal for me.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I'd say later era Behemoth, specifically Demigod. Vocals are deep but yelled . and the Drumming is always relentless. Behemoth have found a balance in heaviness and speed that makes them uber-extreme.

Decapitated as well takes my vote as one of the most extreme.

and Cannibal Corpse for lyrical content, Chris Barnes era.

So Blackened-Death metal has my vote for most extreme genre.
Lol. All you guys and your "OMGZ BR00TUHLZ!!1!!1!!!!!11!"

I'm gonna take this in a totally different direction and say funeral doom/drone doom. It's definitely extreme. It's certainly arguable that Wormphlegm are as extreme (or even more so) than any goregrind/raw black metal.

Extreme music doesn't have to be brutal, it just has to push the spectrum out farther. Raw black metal, war metal, goregrind, drone, noise, whatever the hell Stalaghh etc. are all extreme, they just push on different parts of the spectrum.
The most extreme I have in my cd collection is Leprosy by Death. I think it can get extreme at points, but no where near as extreme as grindcore bands. Like any of those bands in the Zombiegrinder5000 game.
I dont find crushingness in **** like that, or grind probably, however, Rompeprop was still abrasive while IMO doom doesnt really possess that abrasive quality =\... its slow lol
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
I dont find crushingness in **** like that, or grind probably, however, Rompeprop was still abrasive while IMO doom doesnt really possess that abrasive quality =\... its slow lol

The slowness is what makes it abrasive, though. Plus a lot of it is really dissonant, particularly the more extreme variants like Wormphlegm and Monuments to Sorrow (lol, I know, but the ending to Ground 00 is freakin' scary, and IMO the production and overall sound is definitely abrasive).
Last edited by Scourge441 at Jun 3, 2008,
Not exactly extreme metal, but noisecore band The Locust I consider to be very extreme just because its...well, noise. Have a listen for yourself, clicky

As for lyrical, Cannibal Corpse are kings, espicially songs like Necropaedophile, I Cum Blood or Blunt Force Castration.

Black metal is extreme, but it does nothing for me. I still say death metal owns black metal, hands down, for sheer brutality.
The end to Beatus by Augury is creepy I say haha, good **** -since ya been pluggin' em lately and what not^^- I guess disonance does make for some abrasion... but probably none that got me like rompeprop did back then -it was a surprise it started playing outta nowhere in a page completely unrelated to it- rofl
Quote by Chenmin
Not exactly extreme metal, but noisecore band The Locust I consider to be very extreme just because its...well, noise. Have a listen for yourself, clicky

As for lyrical, Cannibal Corpse are kings, espicially songs like Necropaedophile, I Cum Blood or Blunt Force Castration.

Black metal is extreme, but it does nothing for me. I still say death metal owns black metal, hands down, for sheer brutality.

The Locust are mathcore. End of.

Also, there are tons of goregrind bands with more extreme lyrics than CC.
"I'm the br00talist and M0st EXTREEEME!! I'm fookin gorey and filled with bleeding wh0rez and blast beaaaats! Listen to how low my vox go! BBBBBBBBooooooorrrorororo"

"No foolish one. I am from the blackest of black pits of satanic blood ritualistic Von permafrost caves of Northern Mount Doom krieg. Therefore, I am of the most extreme."

"Nooooo. Iiiiii aaaammm tttthhheee mmmoooossst eexxtrreemme. Ffooorr Iiii wwiill ttoorrttuure yyooouu In an Excruciating Way Infested With Vermin and Violated by Executioners Who Practise Incendiarism and Desanctifying the Pious"

Overdone thread is overdone.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Magero
The Locust are mathcore. End of.

Also, there are tons of goregrind bands with more extreme lyrics than CC.

The Locust are a number of genres, they aren't just one.

And I don't listen to Goregrind, I'm just going by with what bands I do know of. Any recommendations?
well for me its probly various sub genres of grindcore, especially last days of humanity , im listening to more normal metal like iron maiden and pantera atm, but im in the mood for more extreme stuff now

Quote by Chenmin

And I don't listen to Goregrind, I'm just going by with what bands I do know of. Any recommendations?

last days of humanity
Quote by Chenmin

No, they're just mathcore.
Noise and Drone, hands down for me. As many have said, it really is subjective.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Scourge441
No, they're just mathcore.

Whatever you say Scourge

And Last Days Of Humanity are...different, to say the least.
i've never heard of Last Daus of Humanity, but when i heard the Locust i decided to never. ever. ever. listen to them again. It sounded like Slipknot (who suck) and Anal Cvnt (who i actually like) got together to try and cover Meshuggah.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I like listening to The Locust for comedy value...and scaring the **** out of my friends who hate anything beyond ****ty metalcore
Page 1 of 2