Hi all,
I'm almost positive that this won't work, but I have to check. I want to buy my brother an interface for his birthday and I'm looking at an Edirol FA-66 which has an optical SPDIF input, a guitar/mic/line input and a mic/line input. It seems like this interface will suit all of his recording needs except for one - if he wanted to get stereo effects from his PodXT and sing at the same time, there are not enough inputs. I don't know the Pod very well, but I know it has a USB output on the back - with the right cable, would he be able to send from the USB out on the Pod to the optical SPDIF input on the interface? That way he could set up a mic (or two, even) and record them through the front inputs as well as the direct signal from the Pod coming in stereo through the SPDIF input. Only time I can see him doing this is if he wanted to mic his amp and record a direct signal simultaneously

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it can't be done, but I had to ask

Cheers
MyGear;

Ibanez S2170NTF Prestige
Boss GT-8
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Seagull Artist Cameo Cutaway with LR Baggs i-Beam Duet
Digitech Jam Man
Presonus Firebox Audio Interface
Ive never worked with the XT or FA66 but...

You can't go from SPDIF to USB as they just dont connect..
Some programs MAY allow you to send a USB line to the computer and record though that as you record while using another interface.

If you are looking in the $300 price range look into the E-mu 0404 or better yet, a PreSonus FireBox.

That FA66 actually looks great for the money, I really like the 4 outputs although you would use two off the bat when connecting monitors...

with smaller interfaces you are limited on inputs but when it comes to firewire units you can usually send audio into more than the front inputs.
you may be able to connect two mics to the front as well as send an output from the POD XT to the SPDIF

I know the pod XT has SPDIF and audio outputs so run the POD to the SPDIF using the proper cable and then run some mics the front panel and see what it does.

If all else fails you are just limited to using the two XLR inputs at the front at one time.
This isn't the end of the world, most studios dont track everything at one time and most home studios use one or two mics at one time.
I don't think the XT has SPDIF outs, unfortunately, that was a new feature on the X3. And no surprises about the USB not working with SPDIF - I'm glad to hear that you think he may be able to just send the USB into his computer and record with that, that would be excellent. I've thought about getting him a firebox (I have one...what a great interface, best in its price range I think) but the FA-66 is supposed to be very nice for mac users as there are no drivers or anything to worry about
MyGear;

Ibanez S2170NTF Prestige
Boss GT-8
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Seagull Artist Cameo Cutaway with LR Baggs i-Beam Duet
Digitech Jam Man
Presonus Firebox Audio Interface
I'm not sure that any of the XT stuff has spdif besides the Pro. (rackmount version)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.