So... I was just wondering, Can you move chords up a few frets??? Cause, like... On a few tabs I've read on here, its the same fingering formations, just on dfferent frets and sometimes, one string higher/lower. So is it ok to move chords up and down??
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
That **** sucks. Why cant we call them like: I move an E chord up to the 5th fret, so i call it E5 or something like that.
It sounds like your talking about Power Chords. They can absolutely be moved anywhere in the same shape to any fret/string combination.

However, if you use this shape on the G and B strings, it's now longer a power chord because it's no longer a root note and it's fifth. I hope that helps.

*Waits for someone to explain things better.....probably Stevenseagul*

Edit: Took me too long to type....Steven was already here.....
Last edited by OsokDracul at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Daneeka
That **** sucks. Why cant we call them like: I move an E chord up to the 5th fret, so i call it E5 or something like that.

You can call it what you'd like, but the proper name for that would be an A. No one would know what you were talking about if you called it an E5.
Quote by GeekInThePink
You can call it what you'd like, but the proper name for that would be an A. No one would know what you were talking about if you called it an E5.

Although you might often say "play an A, but make it an E shape on the 5th", or "give me an A as a bar chord" etc.

E5 would denote a powerchord wouldn't it?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Although you might often say "play an A, but make it an E shape on the 5th", or "give me an A as a bar chord" etc.

E5 would denote a powerchord wouldn't it?

Yes, I believe E5 is a powerchord.
For powerchords, they work because there is a consistent note change from string to string as you go u. With the exception of going from the B to G string. So basically if you're going up from A to low E string, staying on the same fret would drop you down 7 fret's worth of notes, called half steps. That's why you can move powerchords all around, and also allows us to have those cool boxes that we do for scales. When you go from B string to G string, the change is one less half step, so its only like moving back 6 frets.

I know that's kind of confusing, but I hopes it helps.

Barre chords can also be slid around. Taking an open E chord and sliding it down one fret with a barre behind it will give you the F chord, and so on.
Quote by Daneeka

Because not every instrument has frets or plays chords, so that name would be useless unless you played guitar. Imagine having to communicate with your drummer or a keyboard player? That's why we use a standard language, and it's actually quite easy when you get into it.
Yeah but E5 doesnt work with piano or other instruments..
/CENTER]
Once you move into classical guitar notation (that's with those funny dots and lines) you use roman numerals to suggest that the player move their hand up the neck, so if you were to notate an A (no idea if you can do proper notation in a post) you'd stick a roman V above it. I think you can actually write barre V above the score, but it's been years since I was playing guitar off proper sheet music. I might have to drag out some music tomorrow and find out if I can still sight read properly
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by .Person
Power Chords?

Wouldn't a perfect example of this be Smoke on water?

yap.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Power chords are pretty much usually the same formation, the most common power chord form can be played on the low E string or the A string, on any fret.
You can move chords to different frets, and they'll be the same formation but they won't be made up of the same notes.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."