Hey Everyone,

A while back a friend of mine replaced the strings on my old Squire Strat, and he took the neck off, (at the time I had no idea what he was doing). I've noticed now that where the neck is bolted to the body, there is a large gap, of 8-10mm or so, and it means the neck can bend a LOT, to the point where all the strings touch the fret board lower down. Another friend of mine said this is not right!!

My question is, is it simple enough for me, a bit of a newbie to remove the neck again, and simply reseat it, or do you think I should take it to a guitar shop and have it done? It just seems simple enough, if I take the screws out and then put it back in more carefully so that it doesn't have a gap?

Thanks a lot,

Charlie -
Okay, thanks for the opinion! Any others? I will probably take it in soon enough if you all think this?!

Charlie -
First off, slap your friend. If he didn't know what he was doing, he shouldn't have tried. It really isn't a big deal to re-seat the neck of a bolt on, but I see a possible problem here. Was the neck perfectly fine before your friend got to it? If so, when he attempted to put it back together, he might have damaged some of the wood on the neck heel by not aligning the holes and just wrenching away until it looked okay. Either that, or he used the wrong screws that were too short, causing the neck not be be seated securely and making it move easily.

You can either bring it in to get it looked at, or take it off yourself, but either way it's going to have to come off to see what the problem is.
ive reset many necks, its not that big of a deal, if you get it on wrong, do it again, lol

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Thanks for the new opinions, I thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to do it myself, I may give it a go, and if I find it too difficult, I can just take it in. If I had the guitar on my now, I'd take a quick picture. I'll have it tomorrow again, maybe I should wait 'til then and show you all a picture? Or do you know what I mean by my description?

I know that he used the same screws he took out of it, the stock ones, so I assume they're fine.

Thanks again,

Charlie -
Here's what I'd do. Take off all strings. Unscrew all 4 screws from the neck and remove it. Inspect the neck pocket and the heel of the neck itself for damage. Test fit the parts back together to make sure they mate up as they should. There should be no gap between neck and body. With the neck off, try running all 4 screws into it as far as they will go, to make sure that neither the screws nor the holes in the neck are stripped or cross threaded. They should all thread in nice and smooth, and all should go to about the same depth.
If everything above checks out, go ahead and re-attach the neck to the body. Only if everything checks out. If even one thing seems amiss, then take it in to a shop for further repairs.
Thanks for that full description. As I have never had any experience in changing strings, could I ask if it would be possible to do this with the strings still attached, or should I follow a guide for the strings too, as an experience?

Thanks again,

Charlie -
Don't leave the strings attached. There's a reason I said to take them all off, and it's primarily to get them out of the way. You'll want the body and neck free from each other to do this, and with the strings connecting both parts, you'll just get frustrated because you won't be able to move the parts around as you'd like to.
I'm assuming you're going to put a fresh set on anyhow. I would. And I'd also take this opportunity to thoroughly clean the guitar top to bottom. Once it's all back together it should be good to go.
Take the neck of carefully and then club your friend round the head with it...

then just carefully put it back on yourself and if you start to doubt what your doing, take it to a shop, chances are you might screw up the intonation or truss rod if you arent too careful, so maybe just taking it to a shop would be best.
Thanks a lot for all your comments guys. I think I'll go ahead and try and do it myself. It's about time I learned/tried to re-string the guitar too. On that note, what strings do you recommend?

Thanks again,

Charlie -
Wasn't there that one dude who put a Jackson neck on a squire and called it the Squackson? It looked pretty legit, and it added 2 more frets.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by charliestyr
Thanks a lot for all your comments guys. I think I'll go ahead and try and do it myself. It's about time I learned/tried to re-string the guitar too. On that note, what strings do you recommend?

Thanks again,

Charlie -

It's no biggie to re-string a guitar, electric or acoustic. About the only problem you may run into would be getting the ball ends free from the trem. Sometimes they stick in there pretty good, and you need a pin punch or something similar to pop them loose. If it's a major problem, you might have to get the Fender Bullet strings. The ball end of the string is shaped like a bullet rather than a round ball. Those won't get jammed up in the trem.
As for strings, I use Gibson Brite Wires on my SG, and a customized set on my Strat. If your fingers are ok with them, then go for .010" gauge strings. If that's too fat for you to do any sort of decent bends on, then go with a set of .009's instead.
Quote by wolfy808
Wasn't there that one dude who put a Jackson neck on a squire and called it the Squackson? It looked pretty legit, and it added 2 more frets.

sounds like such a waste....
well anyways...
im having problems with my guitar too, i am getting a terrible buzz in somwhere between the 7 and 12th frets on all my strings, i am assuming its not the nut or the bridge, i have messed with the truss rod before... im not really sure where exactly it should be set?
Quote by Agent-Orange
sounds like such a waste....
well anyways...
im having problems with my guitar too, i am getting a terrible buzz in somwhere between the 7 and 12th frets on all my strings, i am assuming its not the nut or the bridge, i have messed with the truss rod before... im not really sure where exactly it should be set?

That does sound like you need a slight truss rod adjustment. There's a couple things to be aware of tho first. Truss rod adjustments aren't instantaneous like tuning is. You make the adjustment, then need to wait for it to take effect on the neck. The neck needs time to acclimate to the change in tension. Usually overnight, but it could take a couple of days to fully take. Another thing to consider is string gauge. Changing string gagues frequently will necessitate frequent truss rod adjustments because you are changing the tension placed on the neck by the strings.
If it's buzzing in the area you state, loosening the truss about 1/4 turn (counterclockwise) would be the correct adjustment. This will relieve a little of the tension that the truss is putting on the neck, allowing the string tension to pull a little more inward bow into the neck. This inward pull will give you more neck relief, which is the clearance that the strings need to vibrate freely without buzzing.
There you have it. Just remember, small adjustments, then wait for the neck to settle. You can still play the guitar in the meantime, it just won't take effect right away.