Is it simply because they use thicker gauges, or because most of them seem to be a bit overweight?
Lots of practice, with often thicker gauges.

Plus, they're fat.

But then, Paul Gilbert is the skinniest man alive, and he shreds away.
Umm yeah, usually its because they use thicker guages.

But hell I'm a pussy-assed mofo who uses 9's
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Umm yeah, usually its because they use thicker guages.

But hell I'm a pussy-assed mofo who uses 9's

No problem behind it.
I use 9's on all my Floyd guitars.
My ES & Semi-Hollow's all use Jazz 11's.
My acoustics use 11's too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Steroids and Gatorade.

Nick Colionne uses .14 strings, so I would say it comes from using much heavier gauge strings than say, rock guys, who typically (in my experience) play with .10s and .11s
Thick gauges?

I don't know I have really meaty hands and it's genetic.
A lot (i would say most) of the famous blues players have done some sort of heavy manual labor at some point in their lives. BB King used to pick cotton in Tennessee. That will give you hands as big as a skillet and as tough as gator skin.
There aren't muscles in your fingers, by the way, if there was any confusion. The muscles you use to play guitar are in your arm.
I never had any problems, I don't understand why you guys say you need special fingers or w/e
Quote by Nick_
There aren't muscles in your fingers, by the way, if there was any confusion. The muscles you use to play guitar are in your arm.

What? are you high?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ouchies
They practice comping more than soloing, probably. A lot of players skip rhythm playing and accompaniment and try and become great lead players too early

That's not necessarily true or relevant to the TS's question.

It's probably the higher gauge strings. I use 12s on my Strat and my archtop, you just get used to it. Anything less feels like yarn to me.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Zeppelin256
That's not necessarily true or relevant to the TS's question.

It's probably the higher gauge strings. I use 12s on my Strat and my archtop, you just get used to it. Anything less feels like yarn to me.

Its very true, how many chord voicing and chords does the average rock player know compared to the average jazz player?

There will be exceptions but the Jazz player would generally know and use more chords.