Hey,
ive recently got myself a cheap electric guitar to muck around with, nothing serious.

I'm just wondering what the best way to go is for someone looking to spend as little as possible for an amp. Should i get myself a $150 amp to play around on, or get myself a stealth plug so i can connect it to my computer and run it through amplitube or something which seems to be able to make a wider variety of sounds from what ive seen.

Both options are basically the same price, so im just after a bit of experience as to which way would be better for just casual playing?

Thanks
Amplitude has a huge lag between what u play and what u hear...get the amp
Quote by Orethor

Quote by blue_strat
Have a look at the Vox Valvetronix, Fender G-DEC and Roland Cube ranges.

+1 to both.
Quote by Orethor

only if your computer has a crappy soundcard/you have awful drivers. the fault isn't with amplitube.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I believe amplitude (similar to Guitar Rig 3 that I have used) uses ASIO drivers. You DO need a decent computer and soundcard. Also, need to make sure your ASIO setting are set as low as possible (without effecting performance) to achieve quality low-latency sound.

The advantage of amplitude are great sounds, easy recording and no additional items to buy and take up room.

The advantage to a cheap amp is portability, and "probably" a better speaker than what your computer has.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
only if your computer has a crappy soundcard/you have awful
drivers. the fault isn't with amplitube.
I love Guitar Rig 3 and I love Amplitube. I have been using both a lot lately, and they both rock! With my MBox there is NO latency at all. Also, with my KRK monitors, it sounds incredible. It's a much cheaper way to go if you want decent recording sounds. I have been playing with mixing amps on the L and R sides, and its SO cool. So much fun.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Orethor

only if you have a ****ty audio interface. I have a PreSonus Firestudio project and amplitude works perfect in real time. The fault is with ****tty hardware not amplitude. damn n00bs
If you are looking for better sound, get an actual amp.

with software you need a GOOD interface, not any SP cord crud...
and then you need to buy the software ontop of that raising the cost more...

to top it off, I've tried many amp modeling softwares and none come close enough for my taste...
Quote by Orethor

Not necessarily, i have an audio integrated Realtek AC 97 soundcard and with the ASIO4ALL drivers, i get no lag between the guitar and amplitube. About the speaker issue, is not a problem either, because the amplitube simulate different types of speaker and i can even get better tone than my Microcube.

The problem with a cheap soundcard like mine, is that you'll get a lot of feedback on high gain settings, but is something manageable.

And also you don't need a stealth plug, with a simple jack converter like this one

plugged in the CPU line in, is enough.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Orethor

get amplitube/guitar rig and a low level (cheap) proper audio card like an echo mia or an m-audio card. that will sort the lag problem with crappy soundcards like soundblaster.

and dont believe anyone who says m-audio cards are hard to set up. they work right out of the box.

the benefit of this is you can play as hard as you want and still get a low level output from your computer which you wont get with many amps and its already digital so recording is a breeze.

deadlydunc
Thank you please.
I would suggest smoething like the Vox AD15VT......
The tone on guitar rig or amplitube is not that great, iv'e used it for a long time before i got a processor....dont know how it will fare under better cards though,,,,,

You should seriously consider a processor, maybe a second hand GT6....this baby can kick the guitar rigs and amplitubes ass...